SASS Wire Forum

Is there a BP lube that works at room temp for use in a Star sizer.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

I am going to be lubing some big lube 200gr. .45 using a Star luber sizer. Is there any lube available that works at room temp in the Star sizer. I have been pan lubeing using 50/50 beeswax and crisco. But looking forward to using the Star as far as convenience goes. Will appreciate any help anyone can provide.

PS> I hate pan lubeing so please I don't need to hear any comments on how easy and woderful it is ;) .

Howdy

I use regular sticks of SPG in my Star all the time to lube Big Lube bullets. Of course, with the huge lube groove in a Big Lube bullet like the PRS 250, you don't get a whole lot of bullets lubed per stick. After adding a stick, I keep turning the handle until the lube starts flowing. Then once it starts, I probably can get about ten or twenty bullets lubed before cranking the handle a couple of more times. Even if the lube groove does not completely fill in one or two bullets, it is not the end of the world. There will be so much lube in the barrel that one or two slightly starved bullets does not matter.

I used to pan lube my bullets with a 50/50 mix of beeswax and Crisco. The consistency is not all that different from SPG. Although I have never tried it, I'll bet the 50/50 mix would flow through a star just fine.

P.S. if you are lubing 200 grain Big Lube bullets, chances are it is the one I designed. The lube groove is not quite as big as the PRS 250, and your lube will go a little bit farther.

Driftwood, thanks for the info. I was looking at the SPG lube. I will try my mix and see it if flows. Otherwise I will go with the SPG. And yes the 200 grainer is of your design. Thanks again.

And why won't yer pan lube concoction work in the Star? I used NRA lube (beeswax/alox 50/50) and it runs like water in the star, and is just about like beeswax/crisco in consistency. The Secondary pressure cylinder on the star means once ya get it primed, it WILL squirt anything remotely fluid through it. If ya poured/scooped/ladled the lube in warm, you'd have no issues getting the pump primed, and may actually have to wait for it to cool before lubing yer bullets.

And why won't yer pan lube concoction work in the Star? I used NRA lube (beeswax/alox 50/50) and it runs like water in the star, and is just about like beeswax/crisco in consistency. The Secondary pressure cylinder on the star means once ya get it primed, it WILL squirt anything remotely fluid through it. If ya poured/scooped/ladled the lube in warm, you'd have no issues getting the pump primed, and may actually have to wait for it to cool before lubing yer bullets.

Just tried it . Put it in it's solid form and it flowed well. Cool beans. works for me and saves me from having to buy more stuff. thanks guys.

Howdy Duece, the 50/50 is a little to soft IMHO. I use 50%+ beeswax, 40% Crisco, a little less than 5% Canoloa oil, 5% lanolon. Lanolon can be found in the drug store. If this is to soft add a little more beeswax. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r:

Beans, did sumwun say beans, I put salsa in my beans, yum, an jus tha rite cosistensey.......

Cheyenne

Heee Haaa Doots .. Why not give me that star and find a I'll find ya a mix that will work just fine for ya :D It may take awhile to come up with the right mixture and all.. ;)

Hee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Deuce,

I used Dick Dastardly's old Pearl Lube reciepe and it worked great in my Star with Mav Dutchman .44s.

One thing I started doing was double pumping the lube cycle. Every bullet came out with a full lube groove.

Good luck with what ever you try.

Lyman's formula 50/50 will work in an unheated lubesizer as will SPG. The harder lubes can but heaters are recommended. If that is a big issue, you can purchase a heater that mounts to your bench and then if the slots and holes line up, you can bolt them in. Mine is for the Lyman 450 but if the holes don't line up, a set of C clamps will definitely work. I had mounted my lubesizer to my bench for years this way.

I use 1 part beeswax, 1 part paraphin, 2/3 part crisco, 1/3 part olive oil through a star. Works good for me in the 200gr big lube (44-40). I use PVC tubes with a slide on cap on one end to let solidify ... push out with a long screw and flat washer, wrap in plastic wrap and stores fine at room temp.

Archived