SASS Wire Forum

I'm torn between buying it or not - update

Local gun shop I haunt has a Remmy 58 by Pietta in 36 Caliber. I'm torn if I should buy it or not. He only wants $100 for it. The springs are stiff as a whetting tool but I can remedy that. I've got several 58's in 44 cal and two conversion cylinders so I know what they are about. If I get this then I'll have to start looking for another conversion cylinder to shoot 38s. Then I need truncated bullets. Another bullet mold. I'm not crazy about cap and ball but it is only $100 and I don't have one. Then I'd need to start looking for a mate. What a revolting development. I just can't decide.

Anyone out there need one? Give it a good home.

It sounds like you like working on them, so $100 might be worth it just for a fun project. If this isn't the case, then you should probably pass. You already have a pair in .44, and it doesn't sound like you are really crazy about buying all of the bonus items that come with buying a new gun.

I'd buy it for a fun project and because I don't have a '58. Your situation is different though.

Local gun shop I haunt has a Remmy 58 by Pietta in 36 Caliber. I'm torn if I should buy it or not. He only wants $100 for it. The springs are stiff as a whetting tool but I can remedy that. I've got several 58's in 44 cal and two conversion cylinders so I know what they are about. If I get this then I'll have to start looking for another conversion cylinder to shoot 38s. Then I need truncated bullets. Another bullet mold. I'm not crazy about cap and ball but it is only $100 and I don't have one. Then I'd need to start looking for a mate. What a revolting development. I just can't decide.

Anyone out there need one? Give it a good home.

Repeat after me: My name is Finagler. I am a gunaholic.

I got the same problem. But, and there is always a but, I am working on a new rimfire.

Wow, can't believe I'm gonna say this, but.... I think I'd pass if I was you.

Let's see, $100 for that one, $150 for a mate, couple hundred more $$ for conversions cyls since you aren't too big on cap and ball, a new bullet mold, maybe new holsters.

Then again, you got the cash to go the distance and want it, buy it! :D

Grizz

I'm no expert but from what I've been told, Pietta has much improved the quality of their guns in the last few years. Some years ago, their quality was much lacking. I have one of their early 1851 Navy revolvers and it is a piece of junk.

I have to say that you should pick it up and enjoy it while looking for a mate to shoot it with. The 36's are a kick to shoot but I do shoot C&B with them and have not tried a conversion on the 36's. I like the looks of the gun and that is reason enough to spend the $100 and take her home. Just my humble opinion. One can never have too many back ups, even when we hardly ever do in fact use what we call our backups. Diamond Curly

Buy it. You'll be kicking yourself if you waffle about it and then it is gone when you finally decide to buy it.

At worst you resell it to a pard. At best you try it and get addicted to cap and ball.

Iz that what I should do about the rimfire, also?

Buckshot Frank offers sage advice but you other guys are no help at all. :P I can hear it calling to me. Arrrg. Ackkkk. The voices, the voices. (buy me, hold me, lighten my springs, shoot me, love me) It is all so real.

Finagler.....Always LISTEN TO DA LITTLE VOICES !!! :blink:

For what it's worth here is my experiences. Have 2 Uberti and 1 Pietta Remmie 58's in 36 cal. Fun to shoot n very accurate. Shooting store bought round balls I attended several matches using pistol knock-down which weren't affected by the .36 ball. If leaning a little forward or just hard to knock down the .36 will not bring them down unless you hit the very tippy top. I know, none of our clubs have knock-down which don't go down. Now I shoot 2 Pietta Remmie 58's in .44 cal using Epp-ug mold from Dick D. They are fun to shoot and mine usually don't miss fire or give me problems since they've been slicked up a bit. So if you looking for a little fun $100 isn't any big loss. If you gonna shot matches with them stay with your .44's, that is unless the match u shoot doesn't have knock downs. As for inserts for them I got mine from R&D for my .36's. All three. Now that is fun to shoot.

Like Badger said, being a gunaholic, you have two choices....you can give up ALL guns so you're not tempted by these demons, or you can go buy it and give it a good home. I really don't see you giving up all your guns, but if you do, I'm trying to start a GUN SHELTER and will take in any strays you may have.... :lol:

Why haven't you bought it yet?

I've been shooting 36cal Frontiersmen since 2004 and haven't seen a knockdown I could knockdown. I load conicals tho not round balls. But if your going to put a conversion cylinder in it don't worry about special bullets. I converted a 1851 Pietta 36cal over to a gated R&D conversion and shoot nuttin but .358 158gr bullets thru it with no problems. Wouldn't think it'd do so great at 25 yards but up to 10 isn't a problem.

Well I went back to the shop today. There is was, all by itself. It looked so lonely and pathetic I took it home. Now I have to strip it down and give it a good cleaning. Then I'm going to put it in with the others so it will have friends to talk with and look forward to shooting someday. I think I did a good thing rescuing this poor thing.

Well I got it all apart. Who ever owned this before, I doubt very much they had ever taken it apart to clean it. It has been fired but there is surface rust in the barrel, in the chambers, in the nipples (Oooo, rusty nipples) some surface pitting on the cylinder around the nipples, rust on the face of the barrel where it meets the cylinder so over all, it was pretty sad. I'm going to get it all cleaned up, slicked up and then I need to decide what to do next if I want to do cap and ball or conversion cylinders. I'll keep my eye out for used equipment. Maybe I can find a mate. Anyway, this little piece is one step closer to being a happy little gun with someone that will carress it and keep it well.

Anyway, this little piece is one step closer to being a happy little gun with someone that will carress it and keep it well.

Yeah, right. You are going to pamper her, get her all cleaned up and pretty. Take her out for to play, and fall in love with her.

Archived