SASS Wire Forum

Cathouse Bill Passes

It is with great sadness that I must convey news from the family of Bill Blattler, AKA Cathouse Bill. Bill passed away Saturday evening following surgery. His health had been deteriorating for some months due to complications from diabetes.

Bill founded the Colorado Shaketails more than 20 years ago as the first cowboy action shooting club in Colorado. He loved cowboy action shooting and his enthusiasm was infectious, contributing to the quick growth and spread of the sport in Colorado. He will be missed.

Please keep Bill's family, especially his wife Jan, known to many as Dirty Dove, in your thoughts and prayers.

I will be praying for Bill's family right now and the days to follow. Diabetes is a nasty disease bringing with it some unpleasant complications. I know having had the disease for over 34 years now and having some of the complications catch up with me. I pray that Bill's family has many great memories of him during the "good" times to carry them through this sad point in their lives and onward. Smithy.

It is with great sadness that I must convey news from the family of Bill Battler, AKA Cathouse Bill. Bill passed away Saturday evening following surgery. His health had been deteriorating for some months due to complications from diabetes.

Bill founded the Colorado Shaketails more than 20 years ago as the first cowboy action shooting club in Colorado. He loved cowboy action shooting and his enthusiasm was infectious, contributing to the quick growth and spread of the sport in Colorado. He will be missed.

Please keep Bill's family, especially his wife Jan, known to many as Dirty Dove, in your thoughts and prayers.

-_- My heart is on the ground! Bill introduced me to Cowboy Action Shooting at the Ben Lomond Gun Club when they were still shooting over at Palmer Lake, Colorado. Bill was instrumental in getting CAS started along the Front Range of the Rockies. He demonstrated the courses of fire, and explained the sport to everyone.

Bill got his alias, not from what his name implied, but because he owned some rural property where he kept a mobile home. A mountain lion hung around the place, and would follow Bill around when he walked about. The cat would sometimes perch on the top of the trailer! It never showed aggression Bill said, but just the same, Bill always packed iron when walking around when the cat was about. Sadly, some neighbor killed the lion.

When he was active in the monthly shoots and at the annual Shaketail matches, Bill and I would go over to the cowboy long range, and plink at the steel buffalo 385 yds away...with our sixguns! We usually managed to hit the critter three or four times out of five...offhand, shooting duelist! Bill would sometimes tell of some of his exploits during his life...though not too often, and not in great detail. He was a man to ride the river with!

Via con Dios, Pard! We'll miss you. Condolensces to Jan and his family.

I have no more words.... -_-

Prayers up from Texas.

Cathouse Bill was BIGGER than life! He helped Lady and myself when we started 16 years ago. He was the one that really helped Lady become confident in using firearms. He was the founder of cowboy action shooting in Colorado. He will be SORELY missed and hope that his next journey is peaceful. God Bless You Bill.........................

Our April shoot is rapidly approaching on Sunday April 3rd. Some special activities are planned to honor Cathouse Bill, the founder of the Colorado Shaketails, including incorporating the last stage he ever wrote into the shoot. Anyone that would like to is welcome to come and join us in remembering and celebrating Bill's life.

About two years ago, I had the privilege to sit down with Cathouse Bill and his wife Dirty Dove to spend some time getting a history lesson. They provided me some pictures from some of the early shoots at Palmer Lake and the early days at the ranch. I put a few of them into a special History web page. There are links from the main Shaketails site (http://www.shaketails.net) or you can jump straight to it here: http://www.shaketails.net/Shaketails_history.htm.

Archived