SASS Wire Forum

Just curious--Didja ever weigh your trigger pull?

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Recollect in them old westerns where they talked about their six-shooters with "hair triggers"?

We got them 30 oz trigger return springs in all of our Blackhawks & Vaqueros,

so I'd reckon that's about that their pull weight is. They work just fine for all of our outfit.

But what do other Pards have their triggers set at?

Mustang Gregg

Guest diablo slim shootist

well one set are 1.85 lbs-to light for most people

AD are common with less than that for a lot of shooters ;)

Howdy

Measuring trigger pull is not as straight forward as one might think. The trigger of a single action revolver, a lever gun, or a shotgun for that matter is just a simple lever. It pivots on a pin or a screw, and one end is formed into the sear, which when slid out of the full cock notch allows the hammer to fall. Even with a two piece trigger as on some rifles, the trigger itself is still a simple lever, pushing a separate sear piece.

With all levers, the amount of force required to do a set amount of work, will vary with where on the lever the force is applied. We all remember shifting position on a teeter-totter to keep a playmate suspended in the air. A trigger is no different. Pull it at the tip, and it will require less force, but more travel, to trip the hammer. Pull it in the center, where our finger may tend to center itself, and there will be less travel, but more force required.

Although a trigger may be curved, and tend to center the finger, the same may not be true with the narrow hook of a trigger gauge. Depending on how you hold the gun, and where the hook is positioned, the result may not be consistent.

And don't forget that lightening the hammer spring will also result in a lighter trigger pull. This is because lightening the spring results in the full cock notch bearing down on the top of the sear with less force. This in turn means less friction has to be overcome for the sear to slide out of the notch. That means less effort to pull the trigger.

Now..........having said all that, yes, I have measured the trigger pull on several of my revolvers, and I like them right around 2 1/2 pounds. I am uncomfortable with much less. Too easy to have an AD in the heat of battle.

I am reminded of the quote from Have Gun Will Travel where the main character claims his revolver has a one ounce trigger pull. Surely an AD waiting to happen. Also, the figment of a script writer's imagination.

Regarding assuming what the trigger pull actually is because a spring has been changed, without measuring it, that is just a wild guess.

These are all measured with NRA trigger weights:

My Vaqueros measure at 2 pounds and 2.25 pounds.

My AWA (SAA clones) both measure at 2 pounds.

My Springfield 1911 measures 4.5 pounds.

My custom made Caspian 1911 measures at 3.5 pounds and *VERY* crisp :)

Those are the only ones I've ever bothered to measure.

Greg, I keep a data chart as part of my firearms inventory, including trigger pulls for all my firearms: revolvers - rifles and shotguns. Here are the bore-groove - twist - sight height - sight radius and trigger pulls for the CAS stuff:

EMF M1892 -24" 45 Colt 443 447 1:16 0.5000 21 1/4 2# 14oz

Puma 1892 -20" 45 Colt 443 449 1:16 0.5785 16 4/7 4# 6oz

Uberti M1866 45 Colt 443 448 1:16 3# 8oz

Uberti M1860 45 Colt 441 448 1:16 0.4990 21 5/8 8#

Cimarron Thunderer-5.5" 45 Colt 442 448 1:16 0.5540 6 3/4 1# 5oz

Taurus Thunderbolt 45 Colt 443 448 1:16 0.4320 xxxxx 1 line= 5MOA 4# 7oz

Uberti M1873 Cattleman-4 5/8" 45 Colt 443 448 1:16 0.5605 6 3/4 2# 6oz

Ruger SSBH-4 5/8 45 Colt 442 448 1:16 0.5640 5 5/8 3# 5oz

Ruger SSBH-4 5/8 45 Colt 442 448 1:16 0.5090 5 5/8 3# 7oz

Shotguns

Parkerhurst 1901 External Hammer 12ga Left 5# 13oz Right 5# 1oz

TriStar Turkey Special 12ga M&F Left 4#4oz

Right 4#6oz Barrels - Single Rebounding Trigger

All trigger pulls are original

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Recollect in them old westerns where they talked about their six-shooters with "hair triggers"?

We got them 30 oz trigger return springs in all of our Blackhawks & Vaqueros,

so I'd reckon that's about that their pull weight is. They work just fine for all of our outfit.

But what do other Pards have their triggers set at?

Mustang Gregg

Nope, mainly 'cause I don't have anything resembling a trigger "pull", more like a "yank".

Olen ;)

Two "Uberti Cattlemen" both at 28 oz. (From the box one was at 32 Oz. the other was 28 Oz.) after about 25,000 rounds the trigger/bolt spring broke on the gun with the 32 Oz. trigger and was replaced with a "Wolf" spring,,, Leaving both guns with the same 28 Oz. triggers with no creep or over-travel ... Both guns will shoot less than 2 inch groups at 25 yards with an even dozen loads ...

"Uberti 1858" Remmie from the box 60 Oz, now at 36 Oz. ... Accurate Under 3 inches at 75 yards from a "Ransom Rest"...

"Uberti Opentop" 32 Oz. trigger out of the box .... Only tried one load in it so far, but it shoots this load under 2 inches at 25 yards .... After 3,000 rounds the trigger is at 30 Oz.

Ruger NMV 48 Oz. out of the box ,,,, seldom used by me Back-up/loaner gun ... Shoots under 2 1/4 inches at 25 yards ...

"Pietta 1861/62" 66 Oz. from the box ..... Afer Retiming,Refitting Arbour and wedge,Refacing barrel square,smoothing the hammer spring and removing and smoothing all internals .... trigger is at 36 Oz. Gun is lucky to keep all 5 shots on a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper at 10 yards ...

"Pietta 1858" that I used to own 9 pound + trigger pull from the box, after a complete smoothing of all internals, Recutting

SEAR and reducing Hammer spring ,,,,,, it's at 42 Oz. now ... The best this gun has ever done at 25 yards from a "Ransom Rest" was 3 inches for 5 shots ...

"ASM" 1862 "Baby Remmie" 40 Oz. trigger from the box ,,,,,, will keep all 5 of it's .31 cal balls in a 6 inch square

at 10 yards shot "Duelist"....

Hope this helps ...

Jabez Cowboy

Good triggers are a joy to use ,,,, I prefer triggers with little creep or overtravel between 25 and 36 Oz. ...On pistols For CAS.

Jabez Cowboy

Archived