SASS Wire Forum

Lead Levels

LEAD BANE, SASS 70197

Been shooting and reloading for cowboy for about six years. This past dec I had my lead levels checked and it came back at a 15, No big deal. Since dec I got a membership at a local indoor range that opened recently. I was going and expending 150 to 300 rounds of fmj which does have an exposed lead base, 2 to 3 times a week. Started feeling sick bout a week ago and went to the doc. Was retested for lead levels and it came back 41.5, If you shoot at Indoor ranges just be aware!!

Been shooting and reloading for cowboy for about six years. This past dec I had my lead levels checked and it came back at a 15, No big deal. Since dec I got a membership at a local indoor range that opened recently. I was going and expending 150 to 300 rounds of fmj which does have an exposed lead base, 2 to 3 times a week. Started feeling sick bout a week ago and went to the doc. Was retested for lead levels and it came back 41.5, If you shoot at Indoor ranges just be aware!!

FYI

What Lead Levels are Considered Elevated in Adults?

•At levels above 80 µg/dL, serious, permanent health damage may occur (extremely dangerous).

•Between 40 and 80 µg/dL, serious health damage may be occuring, even if there are no symptoms (seriously elevated).

•Between 25 and 40 µg/dL, regular exposure is occuring. There is some evidence of potential physiologic problems (elevated).

•Between 10 and 25 µg/dL, lead is building up in the body and some exposure is occuring.

The typical level for U.S. adults is less than 10 µg/dL (mean = 3 µg/dL).

Indoor ranges, unless they have a whoppingly good ventilation system (and I mean one that just about sucks yore hat off) are not someplace I would spend much time at.

I would be really concerned if I tested that high for lead levels.

Indoor ranges, unless they have a whoppingly good ventilation system (and I mean one that just about sucks yore hat off) are not someplace I would spend much time at.

I would be really concerned if I tested that high for lead levels.

Doc told me to stay away from any source of lead for 2 weeks, then a retest. If level has not started to decline then he would start me on chelation.

My lead levels were always elevated in the spring, and down in the fall. Indoor shooting. A couple of years ago the elevation jumped into the 40s! I sadly stopped shooting indoors. Within 8 months, the reading was under 20.

UB is absolutely correct. Our new range is reall well wented. Yesterday one of our pards let off a BP round by mistake. Only a moment of laughter and it was gone. Indoors only a couple of times a year doesn't scare me as much now.

CR

In July 2009 a friend and I got memberships at the local indoor range. We shot 1 or 2 times a week. I shot moderate loads, he always shot 44 mag (max) loads. At the end of the year we both got tested for lead. He was at 41, I was at 19. We both dropped our memberships and do not shoot indoor any more. After 6 months my level was 9 and his 18.

Indoor ranges, unless they have massive air flow, are a problem.

You are all right on the money. As a reminder, do NOT take young children to an indoor range for more than once every couple of weeks. I have a patient that falls into your catagoreies. The child came close to having to be treated due to high lead levels.

Caprock

The airflow needs to be at the right speed (75 feet per minute average on the empty range), and it needs to be a laminar flow. If the ventilation your local indoor range looks like a metal duct with the same kind of vents you have in your house, it is not a laminar flow system.

The biggest sources of lead contamination for shooters can be (1) casting bullets in your basement with no ventilation or (2) by ingesting it - handling lead (loading guns or reloading cartridges) , not washing your hands, and then eating, smoking, anything where you put your hand to your mouth.

Lead affects children much more severely than adults, and they tend to have their hands in their mouths and noses more than adults. I recommend throwing some D-Wipes in your shooting bag / gun cart.

Some say that the bigger danger is lead ingestion from handling lead and not washing and eating contaminated stuff (Drink or food on the firing line) and this would also apply to reloading. Those who cast bullets can increase their risk if they do so in poorly ventilated areas or handle food/smoke/etc without washing up. You can significantly reduce your risk by taking basic precautions.

Airborne lead isn't that big of an issue at an outdoor range. Indoor ranges? Depends on how good their ventilation and maintenance procedures are. I worked full time at a range for many years. We fired in excess of a million rounds a year and my normal lead levels were around 5. Before I worked at a range but shot frequently my levels also tested at the same levels. When I started shooting on an indoor range once a week for several months and had my levels tested (Routine thing I do every six months) my levels had spiked to 9. Once I stopped shooting on an indoor range they went back to "normal".

This particular range was poorly maintained and ventilated. We have several new places around that are much nicer and my rule is "just say no". I suggest you carefully select the indoor facility you use AND, have your lead levels checked!

Archived