SASS Wire Forum

End Of Tail Question

Tucker T Fudpucker

Well this will be my first trip to end of trail so which hotel do you recommend? I usually stay at Holiday Inn's and have tried to pull up the one listed in Moriarty but says none avalaible. So what's your opinion.

Thanks,

Tucker T

Stayed at the Super 8 and (what is now) the Motel 6.

What's to say about a Super 8 or Motel 6? Not bad, but nothing to write home about.

If we go again will stay in Albuquerque as there are more/better dining options and "stuff".

Most of the Moriarity hotel rooms are completely booked for End of Trail week about 11 months before End of Trail.

There are several Holiday Inns in Albuquerque, in case you can't get in to Moriarity.

Probably the closest to End of Trail is the one at I-40 at the Eubank exit.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/albuquerque/abqex/hoteldetail?hotelCode=abqex&cm_mmc=mdpr-_-TripAdvisor-_-BizListing-_-ex_abqex

It's not a Hilton, but it normally receives an OK review. Just make sure you have your reservation terms clearly recorded and verify all the charges at the end of the stay, too.

This location is about 25 minutes drive from Founders Ranch. Heavy traffic on I-40 runs toward the west in the morning and toward east in afternoon. Which makes it normally "not a problem" getting to Founders at most times of the day.

We normally do not recommend staying any farther east in Albuquerque (on Central Blvd, for example) due to higher amounts of crime and vagrancy. But the Eubank area is relatively safe, and you have the Owl Cafe next door which has great '50's type food. Sadie's, also next door, has just average Mexican food, which is too bad, as they have another location that does better.

Good luck, GJ

A few options:

Like Garrison Joe suggested there are several hotels near Eubank and I-40 (hotel circle). I do not remember all of them but just foofle that area. I know there are at least 3. A big advantage of those hotels is easy access to the Owl Cafe and Sadies Mexican Food right in the same area. Most folks like both. There is a Target about 1 block away and Walmart 3 blocks (other side of I-40). Just on I-40 West and Founders Ranch is about 30 minutes away.

Another good choice might be Lousiana and Menaul. The hotel there is right next to Coronado Center (large shopping mall) and near lots of food choices. About 1 mile north of I-40 but still easy access. Still about 30 minutes from Founders.

Like Joe, I do not recomment West Central. There are some historic and neat places there, but you also get to deal with other problems.

While here try out Juans Broken Taco (small mexican resturant at Wyoming and Comanche - very good).

Archived