SASS Wire Forum

What hat type is this?

Jgbeerman

Evening Yall-

I am in the process of finding a hat and found one I love but it is a bit out of my price range:

http://www.jhhatco.com/jh.nsf/product2!open&model=DUKE

my love of John Wayne movies is really how I got interested in the sport so I would love to get a hat this style. What style would that be classified; brim and crown type stuff? Just looking for some search terms to help me out.

Thanks

check

http://tontorim.com/

and

http://www.riverjunction.com/Hats_c_82.html

I have bought from both places...very good quality...got to pay more for their custom movie hats. but you get what you pay for.

River Junction has a felt one for 85.00 or so...thier 10X is 200+.

Here's info on types of creases. Hat Doc

Wool hats are cheapest but I would advise against getting on Stick with a fur blend, even if you have to save up for it.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Nice hats, Pards.

But I never understood "paying extra" for sweat stains.

Mine come naturally. :blush:

MG

Usually starts witha standard post-Civil War Cavalry hat shape, that is what the gold acorn braid is from, and the Sahara (sand) color.

Tycoon or teardrop crown, normally higher than 4 inches for a "Duke" hat, more like 5 inches if you look good in a big hat.

Looks to be about a five inch unfinished or natural brim (that is, edge is just cut with no rolling or binding).

Brim shaped into almost an Aussie shape - back and front turned down, sides slightly turned up.

Actually, turns out to be a VERY comfortable hat to shoot in, as long as you can handle a big hat It sheds water (and brass), except in the crown. Gives you a ton of shade.

You won't find it in good to excellent quality at $150. More like $300 for a 10x. The braid also can be done in several colors, many have military speciality connotation.

Good luck, GJ

Look at this outfit

http://www.jaxonbilt...movie_hats.html

Click on prices at top of page. If you decide on one of their hats, they will send you a conformer kit. What's a conformer you ask? Well a conformer will not only give the hat maker the size of your noggin but also the shape of same said noggin. IMHO the fit is perfect. I had one made like this and it is the most comfortable hat I have. Mine is 100% beaver and the next one I get will be also. Light, smooth, stiff and sheds water like, well a beaver. Most hats are rabbit or blends thereof. As I was told, beavers live in water, rabbits live in a hole in the ground. Most of the custom hat makers will work with you to give you what you want, movie hats or one like a hat in an old picture you have. Call them and ask. Hope this helps ya.

CC

Evening Yall-

I am in the process of finding a hat and found one I love but it is a bit out of my price range:

http://www.jhhatco.com/jh.nsf/product2!open&model=DUKE

my love of John Wayne movies is really how I got interested in the sport so I would love to get a hat this style. What style would that be classified; brim and crown type stuff? Just looking for some search terms to help me out.

Thanks

If $250.00 for a hat scares ya, I hate to think what guns and leather, cart etc, is gonna do to ya.

Just saying.

N.C.

I have bought my revolvers, rifle, and leather, I am aware of how much things cost for this sport.

I was just hoping to find the hat for a bit cheaper, that's all.

If $250.00 for a hat scares ya, I hate to think what guns and leather, cart etc, is gonna do to ya.

Just saying.

N.C.

I looked at all those links and the John Ford Cavalry hat from River Junction is the closest to a Duke hat as you'll find. It has the diamond creased crown which is correct for a lot of John Wyane movies. If you don't like the curled up brim, that can be changed real easy with the steam form a tea kettle and trial and error on the style.

I bought a used Stetson off eBay and did the diamond crown and shaped the brim myself. It's easy and you can undo anything you don't like. Or, you can take it to your closest western wear store and they will probably do it for you for free.

If you want stains, let some 8 penney common nails sit in a little water for a few days and paint the stains wherever you like. The less water, the darker the stain.

Good luck and have some fun with it.

Rufus

Wear yer hat fer 1,000s of miles on Horseback fer thirty + years in all seasons ,,,,,, the stains ,,,, fadeing come naturally .....

My new Cowboy Hat is bout 30 years old .....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived