SASS Wire Forum

.45 Schofield in .45 LC

usmc69

I know it can be done...shooting .45 Schofield in a revolver chambered for .45 LC. Other than cleaning very well after, is there any other thing I'd need to do? The reason I ask is the local gunshop has a 100 rounds of .45 Schofield that they have had for over 2 years. Thinking of making them a low ball offer for it.

I know it can be done...shooting .45 Schofield in a revolver chambered for .45 LC. Other than cleaning very well after, is there any other thing I'd need to do? The reason I ask is the local gunshop has a 100 rounds of .45 Schofield that they have had for over 2 years. Thinking of making them a low ball offer for it.

Nope - the .45 Schofield is a nice cartridge for the .45 Colt pistol. Happy shooting...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Depending on your make, it should work. the Schofield has a slightly larger rim and dosen't drop into some cylinders without an easy and slight modification to the ratchet boss. A few passes with a safe file is all that's necessary to make room for the larger rim, no effect on the standard ammo.

CR

Howdy

If all you shoot is 100 rounds of Schofields in a 45 Colt revolver, you really don't have to clean very much after shooting them. You're not going to add a whole lot of carbon rings with just 100 rounds.

As stated, Schofield rims are slightly larger in diameter than 45 Colt rims. About .520 vs about .512. I shot Schofields in my Colts for most of last year. No problem. But my 'original model' Vaqueros are a different story. Because of the different shape of the ratchet teeth, there is less clearance to the rims with a Ruger than with a Colt or colt clone. Here is a photo to illustrate that fact. The cylinder in the center is a Ruger 'original model' Vaquero cylinder. The cylinder on the left is an Uberti Cattleman cylinder, the one on the right is a 2nd Gen Colt. Because of the reduced clearance in the Ruger, each of my Vaqueros is a bit stubborn about allowing a Schofield round to completely seat in one chamber. Just one chamber in each gun. I already knew that.

cylinders

If you are shooting Colts or clones, chances are the Schofield rounds will drop right in with no problem. You may or may not have a problem with Rugers. As I say, one chamber in each cylinder of mine did not allow the rims to seat all the way. You may or may not have the same situation.

About 'A few passes with a safe file is all that's necessary to make room for the larger rim, no effect on the standard ammo.' I used to think so too, until push came to shove. Last year one of my Colts broke a spring during a match, and I had to grab one of my Rugers to finish the match. I always bring the Rugers along as spares, this was the first time I actually needed them. As luck would have it, I had only bought Schofield ammo that day, no 45 Colts. I spent the better part of lunch with a file working on that chamber to get that cylinder to seat Schofield rounds in all chambers.

Your mileage may vary.

Howdy

If all you shoot is 100 rounds of Schofields in a 45 Colt revolver, you really don't have to clean very much after shooting them. You're not going to add a whole lot of carbon rings with just 100 rounds.

As stated, Schofield rims are slightly larger in diameter than 45 Colt rims. About .520 vs about .512. I shot Schofields in my Colts for most of last year. No problem. But my 'original model' Vaqueros are a different story. Because of the different shape of the ratchet teeth, there is less clearance to the rims with a Ruger than with a Colt or colt clone. Here is a photo to illustrate that fact. The cylinder in the center is a Ruger 'original model' Vaquero cylinder. The cylinder on the left is an Uberti Cattleman cylinder, the one on the right is a 2nd Gen Colt. Because of the reduced clearance in the Ruger, each of my Vaqueros is a bit stubborn about allowing a Schofield round to completely seat in one chamber. Just one chamber in each gun. I already knew that.

cylinders

If you are shooting Colts or clones, chances are the Schofield rounds will drop right in with no problem. You may or may not have a problem with Rugers. As I say, one chamber in each cylinder of mine did not allow the rims to seat all the way. You may or may not have the same situation.

About 'A few passes with a safe file is all that's necessary to make room for the larger rim, no effect on the standard ammo.' I used to think so too, until push came to shove. Last year one of my Colts broke a spring during a match, and I had to grab one of my Rugers to finish the match. I always bring the Rugers along as spares, this was the first time I actually needed them. As luck would have it, I had only bought Schofield ammo that day, no 45 Colts. I spent the better part of lunch with a file working on that chamber to get that cylinder to seat Schofield rounds in all chambers.

Your mileage may vary.

My mileage varies :lol:

If you shoot a number of BP rounds with a .45 Schofield the fouling will be an issue if ya try then to load a .45 Colt.

Also - the 'original' Vaquero's are great with the .45 Schofields - they load with ease in the cylinder ~ ...here's a pic:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj281/pagnew/DSC00009.jpg

Some years back when I shot OMV Rugers exclusively , I bought a bunch of Schofield brass to take advantage of the shorter cases. BAD IDEA. Wouldn't chamber in my Rugers , and I did not take a file to the ratchet. Sold the brass to a pard who shot Colts. I should have foreseen the problem when the Schofield brass wouldn't fit my 45 Colt shellholder.

My mileage was pretty much non-existant. Rex :D

I have shot Schofields in my pistols for the past 4 years, Mostly Black powder loads, on occasions I do shoot Colt rounds in them and the only issue is after 3-4 stages of schofield rounds trying to stuff a colt round in is difficult, but not a problem after cleaning. As far as using schofields in a rifle the only issue would be overall length.

Rafe :FlagAm:

Not to hijacking the thread but will 45 Schofields work on 45 LC carrier in a 73?

I use BP Schofields in my Open Top pistols because a case full of BP in LCs just beat the gun and me up. I did try to run some through my 73 with mixed results, just not reliably enough and didn't want to fool with the carrier.

I shoot 45 Schofields in Navy Arms imported 73' carbine with no problem. They are loaded with a 200 grain LRNFP and crimped in the crimp groove.

I don't know about the Scofield brass in the New Model Vaqueros... In order to get the same safety margins in the New Model Rugers as is designed into the Old Model Vaqueros, Ruger reduced the index circle diameter (that's an imaginary circle passing through the center of each chamber) so that it is smaller than that of a Colt's SAA! (Even so, Ruger does NOT warrantee the New Model Ruger Vaquero for loads hotter than recommended for a Colt's SAA!) Because of the smaller index circle larger rims MAY overlap and not fit. I haven't checked, but it is something to consider.

The other thing is who made those Schofield rounds? Are they factory loaded by a known manufacturer? If so, fine. If not, I wouldn't shoot them.

Ride careful, Pard! Godspeed to the people of Japan, and to those in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

I used Schofields for a while, too. Had no problem with the OMV I had, but did have a problem with the EAA it was paired with. It had a rebated cylinder and the rims were awful tight. Had a smith enlarge them a tad, and after that no problem. As far as rifle goes, my Marlin CB ran them quite well.......Buck :blush:

Not to hijacking the thread but will 45 Schofields work on 45 LC carrier in a 73?

Most 73s will accomodate the Schofield round. If it catches on the carrier, you can work on the ramp angle so the round in the tube is forced back, allowing the carrier to rise. OAL sensitivity is different for each rifle, so you'll need to experiment. Start with only a couple and try it. You'll know right away, the carrier won't come up!

CR

AS to the crud ring, even after many thousands of short .45s (Cowboy .45 Spl) in a LONG COLT revolver (you read that right, I never cleaned em until .45 Colt rounds resisted fully chambering, just to see how this would go), the clean up is pretty easy. Hoppes and a Tornado brush chucked in a low speed drill makes it about a 3 minute job.

When I'm shooting 45's, my Marlin is a Spur that is set up to shoot Schofield.. I just shoot Schofields in my OMRVB's, one round for all guns.

Shenny

Schofield rounds fit in my Uberti top breaks and my Pietta revolvers. I've thrown a few reloads in Schofield in my 73, but haven't tried a full magazine of them. The Schofield rounds are more efficient with reduced charges.

I know the .45 Schofield does great in the 'original' Vaquero's, the 1894 Marlin Cowboy Limited,

and now...I just tried 'em in the 1860 Henry (Uberti)...chambered flawlessly :D

I can dig it :lol:

I have shot Schofields in my Uberti 73 with no problem at all. They seem to cycles as well as the 45 Colts. I do shoot 200 RNFP Schofield in the rifle and no problems at all so far. I have not tried the 250 that I shoot in 45 Colt but may try it next time I reload some Schofields. I do shoot black as well. Diamond Curly

Howdy Again

Sorry to chime in again late on this one, but I just came across this photo on my hard drive.

As I was saying earlier, I cannot seat 45 Schofields in all the chambers of my 'original model' Vaqueros. There is not quite clearance for the rims near the ratchet star. This photo should help illustrate that. The cylinder on the right is a Colt, the cylinder on the left is a Ruger. Because of the way Colt clears out the area around the chamber, there is a bit more clearance on their cylinders. The fit is tighter on the Ruger.

Others may be a bit luckier with their Rugers, but mine would not accept a Schofield round in one chamber. About a half hour with a file fixed one, still have to do the other one.

Cylinders

As far as the build up of the crud ring is concerned, it is not a problem with Black Powder. No leading, no crud ring. 45 Colts will drop right in after shooting Schofields.

Howdy ta th' Fire,

Jist yesterday I wuz tryin' some Schofields in my bran' new EMF/Rossi '92 16" trapper with th' JW big-loop lever, an' they would feed off'n the carrier sumtimes smooth an' sumtimes not... BUT!!! Th' bigger rim wouldn't go past th' cartridge stop very easily, and sum of 'em got stuck in th' mag tube! I'm thinkin' if'n sumbuddy knows where I kin buy sum .45 cowboy special brass, I might try that. Either that, or I'll cut sum .45 Colt(no sich caliber as .45 Long Colt) brass to .45 CS length an try that.

:FlagAm:

Howdy Again

Sorry to chime in again late on this one, but I just came across this photo on my hard drive.

As I was saying earlier, I cannot seat 45 Schofields in all the chambers of my 'original model' Vaqueros. There is not quite clearance for the rims near the ratchet star. This photo should help illustrate that. The cylinder on the right is a Colt, the cylinder on the left is a Ruger. Because of the way Colt clears out the area around the chamber, there is a bit more clearance on their cylinders. The fit is tighter on the Ruger.

Others may be a bit luckier with their Rugers, but mine would not accept a Schofield round in one chamber. About a half hour with a file fixed one, still have to do the other one.

Cylinders

As far as the build up of the crud ring is concerned, it is not a problem with Black Powder. No leading, no crud ring. 45 Colts will drop right in after shooting Schofields.

Weird - the .45 Schofields fit great in both my SS and blued cylinder in my 'Original' Vaquero's - see post# 6 (with pic too)

But after about 50 BP (Goex FFg) rounds of .45 Schofields reloading a .45 Colt cartridge gets 'finnicky'...

:lol: oh well

Weird - the .45 Schofields fit great in both my SS and blued cylinder in my 'Original' Vaquero's - see post# 6 (with pic too)

I know - my answer was directed at you. It's called Manufacturing Tolerances. Tiny variation in part dimensions are always present. Even with modern CNC equipment. On my Vaqueros it is just barely enough to not allow Schofields to chamber in all six chambers. Just for the fun of it I pulled my old Blackhawk out of the safe that I bought back in 1975. Six Schofields slip into the chambers just as nice as you please. Tiny variations.

Cedar County Sheriff:

Here is Adirondack Jack's home page. He is the inventor of the 45 Cowboy Special. However, be aware that the 45CS is considerably shorter than a Schofield and may not feed properly in your rifle. Jack sells a modified carrier for toggle link rifles. I dunno the story with a '92.

Adirondack Jack

I know - my answer was directed at you. It's called Manufacturing Tolerances. Tiny variation in part dimensions are always present. Even with modern CNC equipment. On my Vaqueros it is just barely enough to not allow Schofields to chamber in all six chambers. Just for the fun of it I pulled my old Blackhawk out of the safe that I bought back in 1975. Six Schofields slip into the chambers just as nice as you please. Tiny variations.

Cedar County Sheriff:

Here is Adirondack Jack's home page. He is the inventor of the 45 Cowboy Special. However, be aware that the 45CS is considerably shorter than a Schofield and may not feed properly in your rifle. Jack sells a modified carrier for toggle link rifles. I dunno the story with a '92.

Adirondack Jack

Hehehe - figgered as such! I guess I got lucky with both Vaq's acceptin' the .45 Schofield like a pastor at a weddin' ceremony... :lol:

Archived