SASS Wire Forum

COWS first shoot of the season

Coyote Kid, SASS#54714

Well, the Central Ozark Western Shooters had their first shoot of the season today. The weather was gorgeous, 80 degrees, sunny and friendly.

Lots of howdies to freinds hibernating over the winter season.

The range looked great with updated stages, great scenarios by Fingers McGee and warm greetings at the registration table by Lady Fingers and XS Chance.Maybe they just like getting the money.

Anyway the best part of todays shoot, even though I shot good, was the presence of 7 yonkers in the posses.

We had a 10 year old girl and her 13 year old brother on our posse. What an absolute pleasure to see the grins on their faces while shooting their first cowboy match.I really enjoyed being the TO and walking them through the course of fire.

Their Mom and Dad had just as much fun as them and some pretty proud smiles as well. Well,there were 5 more youngins spread out in the other posses, but I didn't get to watch them. I got to tell ya, if this is the future of our sport, it's in good hands. Congratulations and come out to play with us as often as possible.

Had a bunch a fun my own self.

Happy Trails, Coyote Kid

For the life of me Coyote, I can only come up with 5 shooters under 17. There are a couple older shooters that I wonder about sometimes; but I only count 5.

The 10 yr old was Red Railan and her 13 year old brother is Banjo Billy - and yes, they say he plays the banjo - although he's not brought it out to a match yet. I'm still trying to get their father to shoot too; but he says he's having too much fun watching them. The other younger shooters were Ruger Ray Ruckus (9 IIRC), Ash Boomstick (14), and Dirty J (and I forget how old he is and don;t want to guess too young - but it's around 13 - I hope).

I got to time Red Railan on her first stage ever shot. She was shooting a pair of .45LC Rugers, a .45LC Rossi and a Stoeger 12 Ga shotgun. Shooting order was rifle, shotgun, pistol. She cranked off the 10 rifle rounds without much trouble even though the rifle was almost as tall as she is. Shotgun gave her a little trouble getting open; but it was a brand new Stoeger and was quite stiff. I held my hand up to make sure the recoil didn't overwhelm her; but she was steadier than some older shooters I know. Found out later that she beats her brother shooting skeet sometimes. Then came the pistols. I don't know who she had been watching; but she drew both Rugers like she was gonna shoot Gunfighter. We had her holster one and just shoot one at a time. Red is left handed; but shoots her rifle and shotgun right handed, and I could swear she shot the pistols with each hand. She is going to be a joy to watch this year.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Ahhh another Gunfighter in the making!!! :) ... and hopefully she hasn't been watching me!!!...would want her to hit em better than I do!!!.. :D Course I blame the Super Moon for all my misses Sunday!! ;) My green derby is off to ya Fingers and all...was a great day shooting...couldn't of asked for better weather and my better half...Dainty Daisy was able to shoot and had a great time!!!! course she had some new pistols to shoot and did pretty good with em if I do say so myself!!! Thanks again COWS for a great time and great pards to visit and shoot with!!! Next for us is probably Land Run! Daisy is looking forward to it and I hope it don't wear her out too much. If anyone sees Red Railan tell her GUNFIGHTER is the only way to go!!! :P

Archived