SASS Wire Forum

Broken guide on 73 bolt.

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

I ran a 73 for 8 years and never had this problem.

Yesterday I broke the small guide on the bottom of the bolt that centers the cartridge.

I have heard of them breaking,.. but never asked how they got them fixed. This is a relatively new rifle.

What is your fix?

Thanks,

Pack

I ran a 73 for 8 years and never had this problem.

Yesterday I broke the small guide on the bottom of the bolt that centers the cartridge.

I have heard of them breaking,.. but never asked how they got them fixed. This is a relatively new rifle.

What is your fix?

Thanks,

Pack

New Bolt Item #97

It can be repaired. It may be expensive to repair. Needs to have a slot milled in the bottom of the bolt and a new cartridge guide lug made. Check on the expense of repair before you order a "new Breach Block."

Because of the design change to the Uberti Breach Block and Firing Pin Extension, you can't just buy a Breach Block (bolt) anymore. You have to replace the breach block and firing pin extension as a "unit." Runs somewhere around a hundred bucks. It is however, a nice upgrade if you have an "older" (more than 3 years) rifle.

Next, check the timing on your rifle. The only thing that breaks the guide lug is a rifle that is out of time. You may wind up just breaking another one.

Coffinmaker

I have done two for folks...welded a bead and used files to shape. I had another one to copy the size and shape. Just time, no money. Not productive for a gunsmith, but it were just me, a couple of ceegars and the garage.

Well Dusty! What about a 76' bolt? Seems to be the same, just a mite bigger. I'm guessin, a mite bigger ceegars, taboot!

Oklahoma Dee

Howdy,

Well I was told that not only timing issues will break that bottom tab, but the extractor springs being so tight helps the tab breaking process by putting to much pressure on the bottom tab, this can be taken care of by lightening the extractor spring pressure, also makes you extractor last a little longer.

KK

Thanks for all the nice, well meaning comments.

The rifle is new enough to still be under warranty, and I will send the part back to The Cowboy Shop, and Cody will return another to me. Sometimes they are just too brittle it seems.

I value all of your comments,

Thanks again,

Pack

What about a 76' bolt? Seems to be the same, just a mite bigger. I'm guessin, a mite bigger ceegars, taboot!

Oklahoma Dee

Same with a '76..... I have 2 Chaparrals and were both lacking the "shelf ledge" on the bolt face. Welded a bead and shaped it. No more problem!

Sorry Dave, it is on the way to Cody Conagher, it was still under waranty. There wasn't much metal on it to break. I have never seen such an important part be so thin,..talking guns now,..

Archived