SASS Wire Forum

Silver bullets

MMJ#89586

I have a set of silverware which was given to me and I have no need for. I would like to have it melted and made into bullets. Anyone ever did this? Where could I have something like this done?

Well, a typical lead pot won't work, as the melting point of silver is somewhere around 2000 degrees. Kinda makes you wonder how Tonto did it. Anyway, if you have or know someone who has an oxy-acetylene torch and an iron or steel bullet mold, that should be all you need. Don't try it with an aluminum bullet mold.

All that said, I've never done it, and I haven't slept in a Holiday Inn Express.

Silver bullets? Goin' werewolf huntin', are ya?

Be a lot easier to obtain some silver rod and have it turned to shape. Casting silver is kinda tricky. Centrifugal vacuum casting by lost wax takes quite a setup. But you might find a jewelry fabricator that would take it on. Ask around for some feller who makes custom jewelry. Will cost you most of the silver in your flatware just for the labor - assuming it's sterling. Most was plated - which, of course, is worth almost nothing.

I'd sell the silverware and buy what you want. Kinda hard to imagine a REAL use for silver bullets. And where you gonna get loading data for them? They are a LOT harder than lead slugs, maybe even harder than copper.

Good luck, GJ

There was a fellow out in CA a few years ago who had a website offering jewelry etc made of ammo. He could silver or gold plate a copper jacketed bullet, as well as cast pure silver bullets. I dunno his contact info any more, but he was a wire reader, so maybe he will chime in.

IMHO, if ya can get by with a FMJ profile bullet, plating is the ticket. He did some gold plated cases and silver plated bullets for me. They came out nice.

Howdy

Sometime back towards the middle of the last century when I was a kid one of the gun magazines decided to make up some bullets out of silver and see how they shot. You know, the whole Lone Ranger thing. So they made some up and shot them. Turned out silver makes lousy bullets. I don't remember the specifics now, but they did not shoot worth a darn.

Howdy

Sometime back towards the middle of the last century when I was a kid one of the gun magazines decided to make up some bullets out of silver and see how they shot. You know, the whole Lone Ranger thing. So they made some up and shot them. Turned out silver makes lousy bullets. I don't remember the specifics now, but they did not shoot worth a darn.

Nope, they wouldn't, but they'd look dandy in a belt if ya kept em polished :)

Guest jeweler jim

As someone who buys precious metals and stones I'm here to tell you that you might want to go the plating route. Any of the "solid" silver flatware sets that we have bought and melted have given seven to twelve hundred dollars to the person that sold it. You can buy a lot of plating and other services for that amount. With that kind of money you could even get them Rhodium finished :o (what we use on the white gold and platinum).

If'n you weigh any of the those one oz. silver coins you'll note that they weigh more than an oz. because pure silver doesn't want to come out of the molds. So you're gonna have to add a small amount of alloy no matter what you do unless you're going to do the lathe thing with the pure wire of the right starting diameter. You can stamp out the pure coins but I ain't sure how you do it with bullets.

I have a set of silverware which was given to me and I have no need for. I would like to have it melted and made into bullets. Anyone ever did this? Where could I have something like this done?

You're not plowing new ground - but it's still worth the effort . .

Been there - done that . . . .

Me - I'd have it made into heavy wire stock, say slightly over .452 in diameter, and then turn it on my table lathe to the

shape I want and add the lube ring, then load 'em up . . . . .

Gotta be less work . . .

Or - ya could build a wooden bullet with Silver bands, and soak it in holy water to keep it ready for general purpose

evil fighting . . .

SC

Archived