SASS Wire Forum

Big n Tall Cowboy Clothes/Leather

Silver Bow Slim

I am a big fella (hence the alias involving Slim...) and am looking for some leads for clothes and possibly leather. I think Wild West has shirts in 4xl which is fine but can't seem to find any jeans etc. Does anybody know of a store that sells big size period correct jeans? If not, any thoughts on converting regular jeans...anybody done it?

Leather - any thoughts etc on rigs for big guys? Anybody buy one...where did you get it from...you happy with it...any challenges with it? My issue is the love handles. My gun belt would ride about my belly button so therefore the holsters don't sit against my thighs, they hang straight down and are kind of free floating. I am thinking a buscadero type rig might drop the holsters low enough that I could tie them off but not sure and not sure how to measure etc or where to go to do this.

Slim

Lonerider leather did mine and he said instead of taking leather from one side and over the back, that he had to take mine from one front shoulder, around the butt and back tot he other front side shoulder. I bought Henley long sleeve shirts from Casual male and the pants I just wear jeans or black casual pants with loops cut off and suspender buttons put on. BTW... I have to wear 5x TALL stuff... Good luck

http://www.loneriderleather.com/

I'm not tall (5'9"0 but I am wide. I think Tonto Rim sells sizes up to 54" waist. Just order them unhemmed and have someone local do the length. I wear a 50x29, but I can usually find mine in Missouri at a place called Kleinschmidt's. Their website is www.kleinboot.com I think. I've never ordered so I don't know if they do internet orders. Tonto Rim is listed in SASS Links.

Shakey

Most custom leather makers can make any gun or shotgun belts in whatever size want. There is usually a premium paid for the customization and extra material.

Cowboy Outfitters

This Google Linkhas some places to check for clothes. Many makers have options for us big guys. Finding someone who stocks them is the problem.

I agree that there needs to be a BIG & TALL Cowboy clothing store. It is very hard to find clothing. I have purchased dress shirts at the big & tall and had the collar removed then stitched. I have been lucky on pants buying the frontier but from what I have seen they only go to 54". If you can find some one in your area that makes clothing a vest does not cost a lot of money. I paid $40 to have one made. My leather we have a leather maker Jim Hastings that does great work. I went to his shop and we worked together to figure out the size of the belt, the angle of holsters, the style that I liked and what was comfortable to wear. It is frustrating sometimes not being able to find what you are looking for but if you look hard enough most of it is out there. I wonder how hard it would be to start a Big & Tall Cowboy store and what is the demand for it???

I'm not tall (5'9"0 but I am wide. I think Tonto Rim sells sizes up to 54" waist. Just order them unhemmed and have someone local do the length. I wear a 50x29, but I can usually find mine in Missouri at a place called Kleinschmidt's. Their website is www.kleinboot.com I think. I've never ordered so I don't know if they do internet orders. Tonto Rim is listed in SASS Links.

Shakey

I'm a little taller but pretty much the same overall. For jeans, I go to a Wrangler outlet. They'll have up to 54, usually in stock. Sometimes larger sizes.

I've had good luck at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. Get old suit pants, especially in a chalk-stripe. Take off any belt loops and add "bachelor button" suspender buttons. Leave them long for tucking into boots.

I'm working on my own leather. Tandy has strips (up to 3" wide) in up to 50". Add a billet and you can get a few extra inches. Also, you can shorten a belt and use it as an extender, if need be.

Archived