SASS Wire Forum

new shooter

Guest minnesota ole

Guest minnesota ole

Hey everybody just signed up for sass today. Now the big problem, all I have is a shotgun so I'm going to need gear! Revolvers leather and rifle not up to reloading yet but that will come with time. Since I'm no speed demon, yet, stock guns or tricked up ones will work.

I'm not picky just thought id give this a shot before going and buying all new stuff

Thanks for your time

Hey everybody just signed up for sass today. Now the big problem, all I have is a shotgun so I'm going to need gear! Revolvers leather and rifle not up to reloading yet but that will come with time. Since I'm no speed demon, yet, stock guns or tricked up ones will work.

I'm not picky just thought id give this a shot before going and buying all new stuff

Thanks for your time

Howdy Minnesota

Welcome to the most fun yer ever gonna have.

Get yerself to a match and ask the pards there a bunch of questions.

Help em out by pickin' up brass.

It'll git you used to doin' chores. (Everybody's got chores to do at these things, it's half the fun).

Then after it's all over ask the pards that you started talkin to earlier (while doin' chores) what they shoot and why.

This here method is good cuz it'll help you figure out what you really want to buy instead of what you THINK you want to buy right now.

For instance when I started I almost bought Taurus Gauchos cuz they was cheaper than Rugers. YIKES! >>> Would've been a big mistake fer me.

I personally held out fer OM Ruger Vaqueros. Love em.

So I hope this helps you out.

Ride easy, Pard and don't spend yer money too quick.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

If you're from Minnesota,there are several clubs around the state that you can go see a shoot and look at some of the gear. Most of them will be starting up in April. WE have a club in Jackson, Mn in the southwest part of the state. We have our first shoot April 10 weather permitting.

MTJ

Hey Ole,

Welcome to Cowboy Action Shooting.

You don't say where you are located, but if you are in Minnesota, you may want to check out the Crow River Rangers Spring Roundup. It is next Sunday, March 27. It is a social gathering, swap meet, venders oulet, banquet and a general good way to meet a bunch of good folks. It is located near Buffalo. There will be a bunch of firearms, leather and clothes for sale. Google Crow River Rangers or use the link on the SASS site.

Jackpine Bill

Guest minnesota ole

As for leather not sure I have a 34 waist. I'm located by new fun minnesota. I've talked to one club and was extremely pleased by the out come sadly to say the first group wasn't that way. I was treated so badly that I gave up joining for five years. I just couldn't stay away though it just looked like too much fun.

Guest minnesota ole

As for leather not sure I have a 34 waist. I'm located by new fun minnesota. I've talked to one club and was extremely pleased by the out come sadly to say the first group wasn't that way. I was treated so badly that I gave up joining for five years. I just couldn't stay away though it just looked like too much fun.

Glad you made it back. It is a lot of fun.

No excuse for bad manners to a new guy. :angry:

The fact of the matter is that we were all new at one point and some kindness was extended our way.

After that it's our duty to pass that kindness on to the next new guy.

Have fun in your travels Minn Ole.:lol:

Ride easy,

W

:FlagAm:

The Cedar Valley Vigilantes (Morristown, MN) shoot on the 1st and 3rd Saturday. We also have "Gunsmoke," the Minnesota State Match in September. Come join us. And bring what you have. There will be PLENTY of shooters that will want you to try their guns and gear. But watch out for those black powder shooters, they are always trying to get people to cross over to the dark side...

Buzzard

New Ulm has a cowboy club at the Ikes range south of town. They shoot on the fourth Sunday. Registration is at 9:00 am and shooting starts at 10:00am. They're a pretty nice bunch to shoot with. That's where my wife and I started. If you let me know if you're coming I'd be glad to bring some guns, leather and ammo for you to try. You sure want to look things over before buying a bunch of gear. My cell phone number is 507-840-0883. Hope to see you.

Mule Town Jack

Guest minnesota ole

Thanks for all the help. Ill be shooting my first match in april with loaners hopfully that will help me decide

Welcome to the fire! The Mule towns are some of the friendliest people that you will find around these parts. They will make just about anybody feel at home! Granite City Gunslingers are also having a match in Kimball on the 9th of April. Only about 1 1/2 hours up HWY 15.

Hi Ole....welcome to the wide wide world of CAS.You'll love it once you get going.I think I mentioned this in a different thread,but don't rush out to buy anything.Go to a few shoots...take some ammo or shotgun shells...AA feather lites or STS's to help offset the "loaner's" costs.There'll be a lot of people more than willing to loan you guns and gear.Try out as many types,styles and makes of rifles and handguns as you can.Each one feels a bit different in a shooters hands.Then buy what feels and balances best for you.I shoot a mix of all styles...1875 Remington's...open top conversions and (the hated term) Colt clones.Each one fits and feels different to me,but I like the variety.So...point being....try before you buy and that includes leather.

Guest minnesota ole

...my ex gf did pick up the nickname lena.

I plan to try as many types as possible. I've always loved the looks of top breaks but I've been told they don't hold up well. My goal is to be fast enough to not be timed by a calendar....

...my ex gf did pick up the nickname lena.

I plan to try as many types as possible. I've always loved the looks of top breaks but I've been told they don't hold up well. My goal is to be fast enough to not be timed by a calendar....

A top break is like a Schofield.Open tops are converted 1836-1860's style's of cap and ball Colts.They hold up very well plus the have a "cool" factor.

Guest minnesota ole

A top break is like a Schofield.Open tops are converted 1836-1860's style's of cap and ball Colts.They hold up very well plus the have a "cool" factor.

Thank you I ment schofield but didn't have a clue how to spell it. Blame it on Tom selleck and sam elliot they always had them in movies and they were different.

Thank you I ment schofield

New Ulm has a cowboy club at the Ikes range south of town. They shoot on the fourth Sunday. Registration is at 9:00 am and shooting starts at 10:00am. They're a pretty nice bunch to shoot with. That's where my wife and I started. If you let me know if you're coming I'd be glad to bring some guns, leather and ammo for you to try. You sure want to look things over before buying a bunch of gear. My cell phone number is 507-840-0883. Hope to see you.

Mule Town Jack

Ike's realized the fourth Sunday in April was Easter and changed our first shoot to be on May 1st. We know that conflicts with another club's regular shoot - (Crow River?), but kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Check out the web pages under "clubs" and "MN".

Ike's is a great place to start.

I was too proud to keep borrowing guns in the beginning- I bought cheap stuff which didn't work well. As a result - bought several sets and probably spent more than I would have needed to. Then again - I got to buy a lot of guns which probably ain't a bad deal.

Take advantage of other's experience - shoot a bunch of different guns - figure out what fits you, feels good and works for you - then buy - even if you can't outfit yourself all at once.

Archived