SASS Wire Forum

Sellier & Bellot Brass?

Red Rider Rudy

Red, here's a post on another Board ...

Not sure about the S&B 9x19 brass but I recently picked up some once-fired S&B 357 mag brass. I haven't shot the reloads yet but I had an issue with reloading them. The primer pocket opening was not chamfered at all. I ended up using a deburring tool to knock the sharp edge off. I had never had to do that with any type of brass before. Sort of a pain in the rear, but I'm low on 357 mag brass.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/95512-sellier-bellot-9x19-brass-question.html

Might want to measure the diameter of the primer pocket and the primer you plan to use - tight pocket or not

I've hit a fair amount of S&B brass in .45 auto recently. It definitely has a very tight primer pocket. Also, they use a red primer sealer at the factory. So, when I spot that red sealer, I deprime, then use a primer pocket reamer/uniforming tool that cuts a fair amount of brass out of the pocket and puts the chamfer on the edge of the pocket. After that, S&B loads nicely. If I don't, about 50% of the time I cannot seat a Federal primer all the way down to flush without damaging the primer and using more than normal pressure on my Dillon 550 press.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks everyone for the replys. That was the problume i was having the primer was be smashed before starting in to the pocket. This is .38 special brass.

R.R.R.

Thanks everyone for the replys. That was the problume i was having the primer was be smashed before starting in to the pocket. This is .38 special brass.

R.R.R.

Hi Rudy, I had the same problem with tight primer pockets. A deburring tool did not help that much. A dillon pocket swager might be the ticket. If you figure it out let me know, I have a few hundred I'll give you.

I run them through my 1050 DILLON without problems. Yes they can be 'tight', but the 1050 handles them well. :blush:

S&B generally makes good stuff, bu with what is mentioned, I'm wondering if the shells were loaded with military spec's where they slightly crimp the primer pocket after sizing to better seal the loaded shell. Generally not necessary, but you know how the military (government) wants to go the extra mile. IF that is the case, a reamer may do it, but you are removing a fair amount of brass. The swager is the recommended solution. Once done, the brass should work well.

Archived