SASS Wire Forum

Video - Shooting Remington cartridge conversions

In this video I'm shooting a Taylor's & Co. Remington cartridge conversion with both black powder and smokeless ammo.

The funny thing is that the Winchester Cowboy ammo smokes almost as much as my B-P loads..Go figure...

Guest diablo slim shootist

We need more of these type of videos on the wire :)

great work B D Mike ;)

PS I love my 58 conversions wish i had some 5in barrels too.

Howdy Mike

Another excellent video! Thanks for doing this one.

Thanks also for showing the 'quirkiness' of ejecting the empties. I handled one of those conversions last year at the Great Nor'Easter regional match. I found out the exact same thing you did and managed to almost lock up the cylinder when I went to operate the ejector rod.

Did not get a chance to shoot one, but at least I was able to handle it.

The 1858 Remmie I have (C&B ) tends to be very difficult to rotate the cylinder after about 18 rounds of true BP...does the conversion cylinder address this issue?

Enjoyed the video.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Gunner,

The short answer is "No".

This is a failing of Remingtons, whether they're originals or modern repros. I oiled the contact point of the cylinder and frame prior to each 5-round string, and everything kept running smoothly. But I've had Remingtons where that wasn't enough to keep them going.

There are several ways to deal with this issue. The best (and naturally also the most expensuve) is to have the cylinder machined to accept a Colt SAA bushing and to have the frame machined to accommodate it.

I've got one of those on order in .45 Colt, but it'll be 60-90 days before it shows up, according to the latest word I got.

Awesome video BDM! Thanks for sharing!

I hope to purchase a couple of 1858 Remington conversions in 38 spl once Taylor's has them available again for sale. I already have the cap 'n' ball 45s, but know I'll want to match up with my 357/38 spl lever gun soon enough. Thanks again!

J.J.

Good video's BDM. I love my Remmies, but mine are the two piece cylinders without the loading gate. They are a lot alike the original, except the original had a slit for rim fire ammo and mine have the six fireing pins. But I can shot C&B black powder, clean them change cylinders and then shot cartridges. Best of both worlds.

Again THANKS. When are you moving to AZ or out to CA to visit??

I shoot Remmies with the R&D conversion cylinders and C&B. I opened up the cylinder gap to make sure it was at .008. I also used a diamond stone and made sure the front and rear surfaces were smooth. I lube the cylinder pin with bore butter and the rear face of the cylinder. The borebutter tends to melt and keep lubing. Real BP doesn't like petroleum based oils. It makes thing get gummy. I can shoot 6 stages with no binding.

I also use the Cowboy short 45 brass with a big lube bullet. It loads at about 18 grains, the bullet weighs the same as a round ball. Felt recoil is now the same for C&B and cartridges. Helps keep your shooting consistent.

Same thing for cap & ball except I use wonder wads soaked in 50/50 bee's wax and Crisco. The lube melts and keeps everything free. I can shoot 12 stages with that setup.

Hope this helps

Ike

I shoot Remmies with the R&D conversion cylinders and C&B. I opened up the cylinder gap to make sure it was at .008. I also used a diamond stone and made sure the front and rear surfaces were smooth. I lube the cylinder pin with bore butter and the rear face of the cylinder. The borebutter tends to melt and keep lubing. Real BP doesn't like petroleum based oils. It makes thing get gummy. I can shoot 6 stages with no binding.

I also use the Cowboy short 45 brass with a big lube bullet. It loads at about 18 grains, the bullet weighs the same as a round ball. Felt recoil is now the same for C&B and cartridges. Helps keep your shooting consistent.

Same thing for cap & ball except I use wonder wads soaked in 50/50 bee's wax and Crisco. The lube melts and keeps everything free. I can shoot 12 stages with that setup.

Hope this helps

Ike

Ya beat me to it. Short cases means less charcoal to turn into fouling, and a big lube bullet to haul enough lube to "inject" itself where it needs to go. You can augment the process by slathering the nose of the cylinder and the base pin with bore butter before ya start.

Archived