SASS Wire Forum

Pyrodex 44/45 pistol pellets

Trigger Mike

How good are hte pyrodex 44/45 pistol pellets 30 grains? I have a 1860 army that had work done on it and the guy who did it suggested 30 grains is the best for that gun, plus I have a dragoon and walker they would be light in unless I doubled them

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=740965&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=cb0e7566ac1070581ffb28a40e249089&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat105591780%3Bcat105670080%3Bcat105651180&destination=%2Fcheckout%2Fbasket.jsp

I tried them in my 58 Remmies on two different shoots and did not have much luck. For some reason they did not alway fire even when the cap ignited. I am not in a real humid area so I did not think that they had drawn mositure but it could have happened. I gave the rest of the supply away and just used powder. Hope you have better luck than I did. Diamond Curly, Colorado Territory

I used them in several matches when I first started FCD in cartridges and they worked fine. Shot the last 30 or so in my Uberti 60 Armies just fooling around and they woked fine, even after sitting around for over two years. My Armies do have Tresso nipples and I use Rem # 10 caps, just FYI. I liked the ease, but not the cost.

Used them at the last Plainsman match I shot and they worked fine. Even bought more of them, I was shooting Ruger Old Armies, with those fancy aftermarket nipples. Also, in Colorado.

LL'

I also tried them and had inconsistent results as well. They are also pricey for the number of shots you get (100) per container at about $21.95. Another $5 gets me a pound of 2F Triple 7 which go a lot further.

I also tried them and had inconsistent results as well. They are also pricey for the number of shots you get (100) per container at about $21.95. Another $5 gets me a pound of 2F Triple 7 which go a lot further.

The inconsistency is what concerns me, though I do have tressos and Remington #10 caps. As for the cost, I have some Cabelas points built up so I would be getting them for free.

They're not supposed to be crushed, and seating a bullet over them with a cap and ball rammer without crushing is tricky at best. I experienced several delayed fires, nothing serious, just enough of a pause 'twixt pop and BOOM to notice. They work great in .44-40 cartridge.

Archived