SASS Wire Forum

Dry Fire thoughts

Lefty McCoy

Probably gonna get a passle of different answers but I will ask anyway. I have all of two matches under my belt, been loading wax bullets with primers in .38 and wads with primers in 12ga for a little practise in my shop. Been doin some just straight up dry firing too,I have blackhawks, a Rossi 92 and a Norinco 1897. Does it hurt to dry fire these? Will once fired brass help cusion the firing pin at all. Do I need to worry about this???

Thanks

Lefty McCoy

SASS 91282

I have a S X S ,a 97 and a 92 and my Ps and I use snaps caps in them all.

A few times no big deal but Dry fire practice is not a good idea on any of these guns, even the Ruger. The hammers hitting steel to steel is hard on parts. Colts and most SXS's tend to flare the pin holes or the pins, Rugers tend to break transfer bars. Rifles tend to break the FP. You need a soft metal like a primer to dampen this. But continuously dry fire into a spent primer isn’t a good idea either.

I have seen snap caps made with silicon in the primer pockets. I don’t think that is a good setup for long term use. Silicone is too soft. If you want to make snap caps that fit your gun, drill the primer pockets out to the OD of the primer, cut a piece of brass rod the same OD as the primer and long enough to extend about 2/3's into the case, then fill the case with silicon to glue the rod in. Grind the rod flush with the case head and seat and crimp a bullet. Now you have snap caps that work in your gun and will last. For the rifle just grind a portion of the rim off so the extractor doesn’t pull it out every time you lever the gun. This will work with shotguns as well.

Next best setup is to de-prime then super-glue a piece of a hard rubber “O” ring in the primer pocket then trim it flush.

I have hundreds of thousands of snaps on all my main match guns some using no snap caps and some using homemade ones with silicone in the primer pocket. Can't say that I have had any problems related to dry firing. Dry fire is a very neccessary part of the equation of becoming more effiecient with your firearms. It's done as much or more for me than live fire has.

I dry fire considerably more than I live fire due to the expense of ammo. Most times I use the A-zoom caps but they do wear out pretty quick, sometimes I don't use a snap cap at all. I have had no broken transfer bars, 2 broken firing pins in my '73 when I did not use snap caps and no problems in my Stoegers using snap caps. I now shoot SKB's and use the snap caps in them, at least until those snap caps wear out, then I may change what I do.

Regards and have fun!!!

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I have been told not to use weighted rounds in a 97. Make up some with no shot and a wad and crimp. Just what I have been told.

Lefty

Archived