SASS Wire Forum

BRASS

JOHNACM

General advice - don't ask the Wire about "best" unless you tell us what YOUR decision criteria about what BEST means - could be:

* cheap and effective

* works on all sorts of really tough cleaning problems

* or maybe won't smell up the house.

All of those COULD be what you are getting to, but we don't know which one.

For smokeless cleanup of guns, I tend to like Breakfree CLP.

Although just about any good bore solvent works pretty well if you are not having leading problems. Right now, I think I'm using Outers Nitro Bore Solvent cause it's cheap and works.

If you are getting leading, then you need to figure out the real cause of the leading problems (like bullets not sized to fit your gun).

Brass cleanup - cheap and effective for me is a vibratory bowl and lizard litter/crushed walnut, with a cap full of mineral spirits in the litter to help remove the powder stain quickly. Vibrate 30 minutes and screen through hardware cloth to separate the media.

Good luck, GJ

Hi Pards, I would like to know what brass cleaner ,polish is best to use on my guns? Also what is the best cleaner for guns? Shooting led bullets and lead shot.

Sounds to me like you have a Henry or a '66 Winchester. Or maybe a "Henry" Big Boy. I make this assumption cuz you said polish was for "use on my guns."

In that case, good old Brasso and elbow grease works quite well. :)

For cleaning the inside of the guns, Hoppes #9 can't be beat.

Midway ultrasonic cleaner with Midway cleaning fluids. Well, you ask for the best.

You might be right for brass bullets ,but not for brass guns. Note i said guns. I know ultrasonis, I worked with ultrasonics for 9 years.

You might be right for brass bullets ,but not for brass guns. Note i said guns. I know ultrasonis, I worked with ultrasonics for 9 years.

For brass parts on firearms, I recommend FLITZ metal polish.

For brass parts on firearms, I recommend FLITZ metal polish.

+1

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

+2 for Flitz

+++++ for Flitz for guns, brass or any other metal polishing. A few squirts in the media from the liquid form will shine your brass beyond new.

Archived