SASS Wire Forum

Uberti stainless steel Colt style revolvers

Fingers McGee

I am seeking the location of, and any information available on a line of stainless steel percussion revolvers made by Uberti and imported by Allen Firearms, Santa Fe, NM; and Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply, Inc. Angleton, TX in the early to mid '80s. Phil Spangenberger did an article about these stainless revolvers in the October 1983 issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine. According to the article, the models that were being imported were the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, and 1862 Pocket police. Thanks to Dr. J.L. Davis of RPRCA, Claremore, OK, I now know that there were fourteen different models of Stainless Steel Colts produced by Uberti. Dr. Davis was good enough to send me a 1984 price list from Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply, Inc. that lists the fourteen models that were available. They are:

1851 Navy, Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36

1851 Navy Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36

1851 Navy “Sheriff’s Model” Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36

1851 Navy “Sheriff’s Model” Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36

1860 Army Military, Cut For Stock, Cal. .44

1860 Army Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .44

1861 Navy Military, Cut For Stock, Revolver, Cal. .36

1861 Navy Civilian, Revolver, Cal. .36

1861 Navy Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36

1861 Navy Civilian, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36

1862 Pocket Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½”

1862 Pocket Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½”

1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½”

1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½”

So far, I have two of these revolvers and know of twelve others in the hands of shooters and collectors. Anyone with information concerning Allen Firearms, Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply or any other Uberti Stainless Steel Colt style revolvers is requested to contact fingersmcgee@embarqmail.com. I am seeking information as to models, manufacture dates, charactersitics, and serial numbers, as well as any catalog, brochure and original packaging information.

Of course, if anyone has any of these revolvers that are for sale, I would be interested in that also.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Fingers... you must got the patience of Jobe!

Heck... seems like... you was postin' this same request over two years ago.... back when I was last postin' reglar-like.

Got eight or so Colt 2nd gen SS bp revolvers... four Armies... and four Navies... but never have I yet to see one of them Allen Firearms models.

Since you first posted it... I been lookin' for ya... with absolutely NO success. Frankly... I ain't seen my first'un yet. Like to just fondle one... myself... just to see what it feels and looks like.

If I spot one for ya... I will steer ya to it.

Good luck!

ts

Glutony... sheer glutony! Now where's that green-eyed smilie?

Fingers... you must got the patience of Jobe!

Heck... seems like... you was postin' this same request over two years ago.... back when I was last postin' reglar-like.

Got eight or so Colt 2nd gen SS bp revolvers... four Armies... and four Navies... but never have I yet to see one of them Allen Firearms models.

Since you first posted it... I been lookin' for ya... with absolutely NO success. Frankly... I ain't seen my first'un yet. Like to just fondle one... myself... just to see what it feels and looks like.

If I spot one for ya... I will steer ya to it.

Good luck!

ts

Thanks TS,

I've managed to identify four or five more examples recently. I bought a 2nd Gen Grant/Lee matched pair cased set from a gentleman in PA last week and he mentioned in passing that he had a couple of the Allen SS Colts - an 1860 Army and an 1862 Pocket Navy. Made me dust off the search letter & try to find some more of them.

The Allen model '51 Navies and '60 Armies are almost identical to the 2nd Gens - put them side by side & you can't tell them apart. Here's a picture of one of each in a 2nd Gen case with 2nd Gen accessories.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/fingersmcgee/DSCN0208.jpg

Oh, I'm smilin Griff. When you gonna stop by for a match? You might get to see them :D

Guest diablo slim shootist

Thanks TS,

I've managed to identify four or five more examples recently. I bought a 2nd Gen Grant/Lee matched pair cased set from a gentleman in PA last week and he mentioned in passing that he had a couple of the Allen SS Colts - an 1860 Army and an 1862 Pocket Navy. Made me dust off the search letter & try to find some more of them.

The Allen model '51 Navies and '60 Armies are almost identical to the 2nd Gens - put them side by side & you can't tell them apart. Here's a picture of one of each in a 2nd Gen case with 2nd Gen accessories.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/fingersmcgee/DSCN0208.jpg

Oh, I'm smilin Griff. When you gonna stop by for a match? You might get to see them :D

Those are GORGEOUS :wub:

Archived