SASS Wire Forum

Aquila

rippin kid

Has anyone used Aquila MINI 12 gauge shells. My daughter has a single shot short barrel gun that kicks like a mule. So they might work well.

I've seen several folks report that the recoil on them (spelled Aguila, Spanish for eagle) is not much different than standard (1 ounce) loads, even though they only have a 5/8 ounce shot load. Other folks report very little knockdown capability, too.

At $9 per box of 20, I'd be VERY hard pressed to use them even for your situation.

To fight recoil in your single shot break open,

* dead mule or other recoil suppressor in butt stock

* very light 2 3/4 inch shells (Win Featherlights or a 3/4 ounce low velocity handload)

* buttstock shortened to actually fit her, and a nice recoil pad (Limbsaver, for example) fitted

Unfortunately, the single shot shotguns have a lot of kick, due to light weight and a lot of drop in stock. Barrel shortening makes it worse, since you remove weight out at the end of barrel where it is most effective at reducing recoil.

A 97 shotgun is about the lightest recoil gun we use, due to straighter stock and heavy weight of the gun. Shortened and fitted, most beginners can shoot it very well.

Good luck, GJ

My daughter is a 6'1" vollyball player no need to shorten the stock. This is the gun she keeps under the bed in her apartment. She just got the gun and wanted to try it out at the range. I will pick up a limb saver.

Aquila is the proper spelling.

Also the name of my high school yearbook.

(and no, I ain't gonna show you a picture) :lol:

Aquila is the proper spelling.

Might be right for your Yearbook, but it's wrong for the Mexican ammunition company -

See their site hosted by their US importer:

http://www.aguilaammo.com/

Good luck, GJ

"Debe ser más ambicioso. El águila no atrapa moscas." :lol:

My daughter is a 6'1" vollyball player no need to shorten the stock. This is the gun she keeps under the bed in her apartment. She just got the gun and wanted to try it out at the range. I will pick up a limb saver.

GJ has already suggested it, but the Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil shells should work great. The Limb Saver grind-to-fit recoil pad would make it even better. Here's the described shell being shot from a 97 by Dahlin'...and that's a Limb Saver recoil pad. While the single barrel is lighter, I don't think with the proper ammo that it would have any more of a drastic effect on a 6'1" girl than this 97 did on Dahlin' a year and a half ago when she weighed a whopping 72 pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gin0422#p/a

Here's a more recent one after she has "upgraded" to her momma's 66.

My wife had surgery to remove a brain tumor, double mastectomy, chemo, facial reconstruction, complete hysterectomy.... well you get the idea. Recoil abatement became an obsession with me.

First, find a firearm(s) that fits or have it made to fit correctly. We decided on a SXS Biakal in .12 Ga. with screw-in-chokes . We had the stock cut to her length of pull, action job done and all of the parts slicked up. The chambers were polished and the forcing cones elongated. A recoil damper installed in the stock and a really good recoil pad installed. I decided on the Mini-Shells for her for a couple of reasons. The Mini-shell does not have a ‘wad’, but uses a plastic disc over the powder to separate the shot. Wadding and power-pistons and shot cups raise the recoil felt as the must also go through the forcing cones and chokes. Without wadding and plastic cups, the felt recoil is moderated. As the mini-shell is shorter, there is some ‘free bore’ before the forcing cones and the recoil is felt less. With the screw-in chokes, we dialed in a good pattern that works with cowboy targets…. Both use modified constrictions.

The 7 ½ shot, 7/8 oz load is ample for what we do and we have used them at the trap range just to make sure. They shuck easy and the felt recoil is negligible. I remember the first match she used them at…. Several well meaning shooters offered her ‘real’ ammo. As I recall she shot a clean match.

The Winchester Lo-recoil Lo-noise Featherlite shells are almost as easy to shoot. At least after her recovery…. She tried the Winchester loading and was comfortable with them. The longer length aided her reloading BTW. Fiocchi Extra Low Recoil Trainer shotshells in 12 ga. Is an option, as is NobelSport LR Low Recoil 12 ga. Shotshells http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=8935&cat=1481&page=1

These shells have many good aspects. My wife would not have started cowboy shooting if it was not for these shells. They are actually 5/8 shot as i have tried to duplicate and reload them with much difficulty.

The other good thing is they are perfect for a double for home defense as the power of the shells will not penetrate to deep and with my testing will not have much power after they have went through two layers of sheet rock.

These shells have many good aspects. My wife would not have started cowboy shooting if it was not for these shells. They are actually 5/8 shot as i have tried to duplicate and reload them with much difficulty.

The other good thing is they are perfect for a double for home defense as the power of the shells will not penetrate to deep and with my testing will not have much power after they have went through two layers of sheet rock.

These can be had in a SLUG configuration and BUCK SHOT. As I recall, a record Moose was harvested in Michigan with a SLUG. B)

Archived