SASS Wire Forum

Scots, help me out here.

The Campbell clan did something terrible to another clan in ancient times. Something like murdered another clan or clan leader. Could you sit by the fire and tell me the story while I brew some more coffee?

What clan was it, and how did it go with the rest of the clans. Inquiring minds want to know. :blink:

The Campbell clan did something terrible to another clan in ancient times. Something like murdered another clan or clan leader. Could you sit by the fire and tell me the story while I brew some more coffee?

What clan was it, and how did it go with the rest of the clans. Inquiring minds want to know. :blink:

Clan Campbell, and the other clans were always killing others, but this might be what you are thinking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunoon_Massacre

That's what happens when ya give up golf...

"The modern game originated in Scotland, where the first written record of golf is James II's banning of the game in 1457, as an unwelcome distraction to learning archery."

Good thing they finally decided to un-ban it! :blink:

That's what happens when ya give up golf...

"The modern game originated in Scotland, where the first written record of golf is James II's banning of the game in 1457, as an unwelcome distraction to learning archery."

Good thing they finally decided to un-ban it! :blink:

Some wives might debate that with you, Hardpan.

Then again some wives might agree with you.

I was forced to give up golf by legal force. I was too much of a threat to the wild life on the course.

And the Marshals. :lol:

Glen Campbell nearly murdered True Grit......

LL

Bada Bing! :lol:

They make pretty good soup though,

By the way, I had some canned haggis recently - Helen Brimstone invited me and the Sassparilla Kid to partake... and I have to report that it was actually danged good!

Served up with a fried egg (perhaps not traditional, but who cares! ^_^ ) it was very similar to hash... and quite acceptable~! :)

Thinkin' I might have to try makin' it from scratch one o' these days... :rolleyes:

By the way, I had some canned haggis recently - Helen Brimstone invited me and the Sassparilla Kid to partake... and I have to report that it was actually danged good!

Served up with a fried egg (perhaps not traditional, but who cares! ^_^ ) it was very similar to hash... and quite acceptable~! :)

Thinkin' I might have to try makin' it from scratch one o' these days... :rolleyes:

Best be checking with the sheep first. :unsure:

Cobbled together from Wikipedia:

Early in the morning of 13 February 1692, in the aftermath of the Glorious Revolution and the Jacobite uprising of 1689 led by John Graham of Claverhouse, an infamous massacre took place in the Valley of Glencoe, in the Highlands of Scotland. This incident is referred to as the Massacre of Glencoe, or in Scottish Gaelic, 'Mort Ghlinne Comhann' (murder of Glen Coe). The massacre began simultaneously in three settlements along the glen—Invercoe, Inverrigan, and Achnacon—although the killing took place all over the glen as fleeing MacDonalds were pursued. Thirty-eight MacDonalds from the Clan MacDonald of Glencoe were killed by the guests who had accepted their hospitality, on the grounds that the MacDonalds had not been prompt in pledging allegiance to the new monarchs, William and Mary. Another forty women and children died of exposure after their homes were burned.

The Glencoe massacre became a propaganda piece for Jacobite sympathies, which were to come to a head in the next generation in the Rising of 1745. In the Victorian era interest was revived and the massacre was romanticised in art and literature, such as Sir Walter Scott's "The Highland Widow".

The massacre was regarded by many (who were schooled in the romantic 19th century school of Scottish history) not as a government action, but as a consequence of the ancient MacDonald–Campbell rivalry. Memory of this massacre has been kept alive by continued ill feeling between MacDonalds and Campbells.

There's a beautiful, haunting song about it called "Glencoe". My favorite version is by Scottish folk singer Alex Beaton and it's avaiable on iTunes.

Verse 3:

They came from Fort William with murder mind

The Campbell's had orders, King William had signed

Put all to the sword, these words underlined

And leave none alive called MacDonald

There's a beautiful, haunting song about it called "Glencoe". My favorite version is by Scottish folk singer Alex Beaton and it's avaiable on iTunes.

Verse 3:

They came from Fort William with murder mind

The Campbell's had orders, King William had signed

Put all to the sword, these words underlined

And leave none alive called MacDonald

Shadow Catcher

Glen Campbell nearly murdered True Grit......

LL

AND DAT'S DA TRUTH :lol:

the MacDonalds and the Campbells will set aside their differences :) to march with the rest of us clans behind Los Angeles Pipe & Drum Band in the San Juan Capistrano Swallows Day Parade Mar. 26

Archived