SASS Wire Forum

Out of Featherlites

OK, I'm out of Featherlights and NO one in the area sells them. I've looked everywhere. No time to order more online for tomorrow.

What is the next best thing? I'm looking for a fairly light recoiling 12 ga. round. Any advice would be appreciated.

And yes, I know I need to start reloading. ;)

OK, I'm out of Featherlights and NO one in the area sells them. I've looked everywhere. No time to order more online for tomorrow.

What is the next best thing? I'm looking for a fairly light recoiling 12 ga. round. Any advice would be appreciated.

Since you need to buy whatever is stocked locally ask the sales help to show you boxes marked "low recoil" or "target." The lightest weight loads with the lowest velocities are what you need. I've seen some shooters use Fiocchi, low-recoil, 7/8 oz loads. Try them if they are available or Nobel low recoil loads.

The wife has been using Federal 12ga 1 5/8 dram 1 1/8 of 7.5 shot. They are subsonic low recoil at 900 ft per second and she loves them. They knock down any faller we have seem so far including winter range and great for poppers and birds. Part number is TGM123 7.5. Have your local candy store order some in. Have no dog in this just passing on a great factory round.

Big Iron Buster

If'n you lived closer I'd give you some full house BP loads. You shoot them and you'll never go back to that sissy smokeless stuff :lol:

Look for AA boxes with these numbers:

AAM129

AAL129

AAL1285

AASCL127

or boxes tagged "Lite" or "extra lite"

All of those above are 1200fps or less. I have found them at Walmart, K-Mart and lots of sporting goods stores. In fact the only shot shell in K-Mart recently was the AAM129.

Olen

Winchester hasn't labelled these as "FeatherLites" for years now. Even though they still have the feather on the box, they are listed as "Low Noise, Low Recoil", AA12FL8 where "8" is the shot size.

Our local Walmart has them for $7.95 a box. See above note

shenny

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Out of Featherlites Need a Recommendation

I got a recommendation...

If ya workout with weights... ya might muscle up a tad... and be able to tote some heavier shells.

Just my ...

ts

I got a recommendation...

If ya workout with weights... ya might muscle up a tad... and be able to tote some heavier shells.

Just my ...

ts

Well that ranks right up there with the stupidest post of the month. Many folks can not shoot heavier loads. I just puchased a case of Featherlights for my wife at Sportsman's Warehouse about an hour ago. They had about 8 cases of them piled up. This was in Mesa, Az. If a company like SW (who is still coming out of bankruptcy) has em, I would expect most large ammo suppliers would have them in stock. Maybe a broader search in your neck of the woods would find them. A couple of weeks ago I purchased 8 boxes at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is hit or miss, but about half the time they have Featherlights in stock. If you can not find Featherlights, Win makes a 1 Oz AA hull load that is not too bad on recoil. We can not use the Winlites Win makes as they will not eject from our doubles. I gave all of these I had to my son for his 97.

Well that ranks right up there with the stupidest post of the month. Many folks can not shoot heavier loads. I just puchased a case of Featherlights for my wife at Sportsman's Warehouse about an hour ago. They had about 8 cases of them piled up. This was in Mesa, Az. If a company like SW (who is still coming out of bankruptcy) has em, I would expect most large ammo suppliers would have them in stock. Maybe a broader search in your neck of the woods would find them. A couple of weeks ago I purchased 8 boxes at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is hit or miss, but about half the time they have Featherlights in stock. If you can not find Featherlights, Win makes a 1 Oz AA hull load that is not too bad on recoil. We can not use the Winlites Win makes as they will not eject from our doubles. I gave all of these I had to my son for his 97.

It's a dam joke... you duma$$. I said "tote"... not "shoot"...

Not knowin' that... you rank right on up there with the stupidest person on the SASS website. 'Specially after the way you treated Texas Man.

KMA... you goof-ball

ts

TS

How ya been doin????

as for the FLs, I have been using them since I started SASS. I have arthritis and a torn rotator cuff so shoulder is shot to hell. I started reloading shotshells when I found it hard to get FL all the time. Got me a LeeLoadAll (to see if I even liked loading sshells, and found not only that I did, but also saved half the cost of a box..)

And I still use the LeeLoadAll some 5 years later.

I load with Clays powder. If yer interested in the recipe drop me a line....

easy to do, cheaper than the cheap stuff and great shooters...

curley

Dog Ears, you going to KRR this weekend? If so, I'll bring a box of Fannie Lites. Check around the club for a mec reloader and start doing your own, saves money and you get what you want.

TS

How ya been doin????

as for the FLs, I have been using them since I started SASS. I have arthritis and a torn rotator cuff so shoulder is shot to hell. I started reloading shotshells when I found it hard to get FL all the time. Got me a LeeLoadAll (to see if I even liked loading sshells, and found not only that I did, but also saved half the cost of a box..)

And I still use the LeeLoadAll some 5 years later.

I load with Clays powder. If yer interested in the recipe drop me a line....

easy to do, cheaper than the cheap stuff and great shooters...

curley

Hey Pard... da man with J.B. Books' fine-lookin' pistolas.

Been doin' fine... hope you been well.

I also shoot FL's... but since they done 'bout dried up 'round here... been meanin' to get a shotshell loader. May just have to get that recipe from ya.

I bought five cases of FL's a coupla years ago... back when Winchester ran that "money-back" deal... but my stash has greatly dwindled.

ts

It's a dam joke... you duma$$. I said "tote"... not "shoot"...

Not knowin' that... you rank right on up there with the stupidest person on the SASS website. 'Specially after the way you treated Texas Man.

KMA... you goof-ball

ts

Who in hell is Texas Man and when was he treated badly? Anyone that calls himself the "Wire Stud Muffin" deserves all he gets in this forum.

If your gonna buy a substitute.. make sure you get some with brass on primer area.. not steel, tin, or aluminum....

Don't know what kinda shotgun your shootin' but with a SxS, the others tend to stick in you chambers... brass doesn't

Rance <_<

thinkin' good lucks in order

Thanks for the help fellers. I'm gonna print this out and take it to the store right now.

I KNEW someone would hint that I'm a wimp. :lol: Oh well, it might be true. That Baikal is pretty light and I don't have a recoil pad. My shoulders are in fine condition, but a heavy load can be a bit of a jolt.

I have 2 Mecs in various stages of repair. One of them I used when I was a kid in the 70s. Learning to reload is definitely on my To Do List this Spring.

Thanks for the offer Ramrod. I'll be there on Sat.

Last time I looked, the local Walmart had probably 30 boxes of ammo TOTAL. No help there.

OK, now let's all join hands and sing Kumbaya. ;)

Thanks for the help fellers. I'm gonna print this out and take it to the store right now.

I KNEW someone would hint that I'm a wimp. :lol: Oh well, it might be true. That Baikal is pretty light and I don't have a recoil pad. My shoulders are in fine condition, but a heavy load can be a bit of a jolt.

I have 2 Mecs in various stages of repair. One of them I used when I was a kid in the 70s. Learning to reload is definitely on my To Do List this Spring.

Thanks for the offer Ramrod. I'll be there on Sat.

Last time I looked, the local Walmart had probably 30 boxes of ammo TOTAL. No help there.

OK, now let's all join hands and sing Kumbaya. ;)

WalMarts in Az have had lots of ammo last few months. Maybe it's time to check again.

GCK, TS does NOT call himself "Wire Stud Muffin". That appellation was hung on him by a moderator (BH I suspect). Just like UB was given the title of The Man. Done by a moderator. None of us can change the title under our alias and pic. Not me , not you, and not TS. It either is what the machine randomly gave us (SASS Wire Vet, Member, Junior Member, whatever) or what some moderator changed it to.

TS has a wry sense of humor many of us have appreciated here for years. Best to take it with a grain of salt and not take umbrage at it.

OK, just got back from a trip to the local independent shop. They had NONE of the shells folks suggested. I bought a couple of boxes of Winchester Lite Handicap, whatever that is. Listed at 1290 fps. Not what I had hoped for.

Big 5 had some pheasant loads and a heavy game load. :blink:

Oh well.

Dog Ears

Walmart here in Ocoee, FL has AA Featherlites for $7.47 a box.

That's why I buy elCheapo Federals or Winchester Universals $22.97 a in the 100 box at WM.

That works out to about $1.75 savings per box of 25.

Plus you git to shoot somethin' that lets you know it's there. Pricless.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I was there on Tues. evening. All WalMarts are not created equal.

I like how some people think that if the WalMart they shop at has something that they must have it at all of them. :huh: No ammo selection around here either. A couple rifle calibers, 9mm, 45acp and about 2 kinds of shotshells is all they stock around here.

Archived