SASS Wire Forum

Volcanic Pistol

Hard Mouth, SASS #60280

Some info you might find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_pistol

Some of the most famous names in firearms history are connected with this pistol. It is the forerunner of the Henry Rifle.

In Gun Digest a couple of years back there was an example of a .22 rimfire Volcanic that was slated to be imported from somewhere in South America. They had a picture of the prototype, but I think it turned out to be vaporware. At the very least, I never saw one in real life.

Howdy

The builder of that pistol is a frequent contributor on the Levergun forum. He is obviously an extremely talented machinist. Here is a link to a thread on another forum showing in detail how he made the pistol. It is a long thread, but well worth looking at for the detailed photos of his progress.

Volcanic Pistol Thread

He as also made a Volcanic rifle to go along with his pistol.

Volcanic Rifle Thread

It's not enough that he builds fantastic firearms, he also custom made the ammo for them. The original Volcanics used the Rocketball ammo which proved to be their downfall. Nothing more than a hollowed out bullet filled with powder and an attached primer. No shell case at all. This fellow made ammo from cut down 40 S&W rounds.

Last I heard he is talking about building a Henry.

P.S. More power to anybody who has an original. I handled one once at the showing before an auction. I seem to remember it went for around $40,000.

Howdy

The builder of that pistol is a frequent contributor on the Levergun forum. He is obviously an extremely talented machinist. Here is a link to a thread on another forum showing in detail how he made the pistol. It is a long thread, but well worth looking at for the detailed photos of his progress.

Volcanic Pistol Thread

He as also made a Volcanic rifle to go along with his pistol.

Volcanic Rifle Thread

It's not enough that he builds fantastic firearms, he also custom made the ammo for them. The original Volcanics used the Rocketball ammo which proved to be their downfall. Nothing more than a hollowed out bullet filled with powder and an attached primer. No shell case at all. This fellow made ammo from cut down 40 S&W rounds.

Last I heard he is talking about building a Henry.

P.S. More power to anybody who has an original. I handled one once at the showing before an auction. I seem to remember it went for around $40,000.

DW:

Fantastic site; Charlie is an artist, and has his head on straight as well.

Makes for an interesting comparison with an unnamed "gun maker' who has been promising a new cowboy gun for some time...in 5 months of spare time work without a CNC machine, Charlie went from design to working sub-assemblies to finished gun - with much more precision than anything I've seen from the other. Hmmm...maybe they should hire Charlie???

LL

The 22lr versions were built and designed by Don Barker in Cody WY. Dustin Linebaugh, Johh Linebaugh's son did all the fit and finish work on the pistols. I know this because Barker rented the shop from me. He may have built a total of 30-40 finished Volcanic's. The originals did not have an extractor and that was a problem in the 22lr design. I believe the last ones were produced around 2001. Last time I spoke with Barker he did have enough parts to complete around 10 more guns. He sold the finished pistols for around $1600. I use to drag one of the pistols around to gunshows when I was selling Lasercast bullets. It was a very limited market for the Volcanic pistols and most guys could not justify spending money on such a unique firearm that was designed more to look at than to fire thousands of rounds.

LL'

What an awesome read...thanks for the thread link.

I sent it to the machinist that is making parts for one of my Harley customs and I thought he was going to have a "Big O".

The wife said if she could shoot one of those in the SASS she would join.

Howdy Dog Ears,

Yep,there's a whole lotta history involved here, but this looks like something that I could shoot now! Where do I order one??

Send a deposit in to the guys making the Merwin&Hulbert.

JUST KIDDING! :lol:

I have a few orginal Volcanic pistols and if anyone were to make a copy I would be the first to but one. I bid on a 1846 Smith and Wession a year or so back and it ended up going for $12,500.00 I seem to remember and was the smaller version.

I was surprised to see the shooter was holding his hand under the lifter area because Volcanics were know to chain fire and he could have got a bad burn or lost his hand had that happen.

There is one collector who is a mamber of the Texas Gun Collector Assoc. that has a huge collections of Volcanics both pistols and rifles and sometimes displays them at the show. Also Gus Cargil the owner of the San-Tex Gun Shows has a nice collection of pistols and rifles as well. The Volcanic that was presented to Oliver Winchester is also owned by a fellow member Kurt House of San Antonio and is cased in mint condition and is for sale now. You can see it on the Texas Gun Collectors web site under Kirts name. One can find orginals at auctons from around $5,000.00 up to around $ 45,000.00 or so or in some cases a quater of a milion or more. I have seen a good number in the $8,000.00 to $12,000.00 range. The best deal I ever saw was last year at a gun show a dude had one that was in a wood cigar box and needed a few simple parts. I had just walked up to the table as the dude was showing it to a guy at the table and the guy at the table did not know anymore than the guy who was trying to sell it and when the seller saw a Ruger 357 he sais he would trade the Volcanic for the Ruger new model 357. They traded and the guy at the table said he wanted to put the Volcanic in a glass shadow box and hang it on the wall at his office. He would not even concider selling it.

Many Pards out there today are looking for a special toy to play with and I do think there would be a market for a reproduction Volcanic as well as a bullet mould to make ammo for. As an inside gun other than the stink of black powder in the room it would be a fun gun to shoot inside or for that matter outside at cans and such.

Texas Man

I have a few orginal Volcanic pistols and if anyone were to make a copy I would be the first to but one. I bid on a 1846 Smith and Wession a year or so back and it ended up going for $12,500.00 I seem to remember and was the smaller version.

I was surprised to see the shooter was holding his hand under the lifter area because Volcanics were know to chain fire and he could have got a bad burn or lost his hand had that happen.

There is one collector who is a mamber of the Texas Gun Collector Assoc. that has a huge collections of Volcanics both pistols and rifles and sometimes displays them at the show. Also Gus Cargil the owner of the San-Tex Gun Shows has a nice collection of pistols and rifles as well. The Volcanic that was presented to Oliver Winchester is also owned by a fellow member Kurt House of San Antonio and is cased in mint condition and is for sale now. You can see it on the Texas Gun Collectors web site under Kirts name. One can find orginals at auctons from around $5,000.00 up to around $ 45,000.00 or so or in some cases a quater of a milion or more. I have seen a good number in the $8,000.00 to $12,000.00 range. The best deal I ever saw was last year at a gun show a dude had one that was in a wood cigar box and needed a few simple parts. I had just walked up to the table as the dude was showing it to a guy at the table and the guy at the table did not know anymore than the guy who was trying to sell it and when the seller saw a Ruger 357 he sais he would trade the Volcanic for the Ruger new model 357. They traded and the guy at the table said he wanted to put the Volcanic in a glass shadow box and hang it on the wall at his office. He would not even concider selling it.

Many Pards out there today are looking for a special toy to play with and I do think there would be a market for a reproduction Volcanic as well as a bullet mould to make ammo for. As an inside gun other than the stink of black powder in the room it would be a fun gun to shoot inside or for that matter outside at cans and such.

Texas Man

There are several Volcanic's at the Winchester Museum in Cody, WY. Some with the original carry cases and even carbine kits. Don Barker got to measure several of these samples in order to engineer the guns he produced. I was told the original ammo kind of spewed out of the barrel rather than

exiting the barrel with a pop. No cases were ejected. You could probably put someone's eye out and potentially your own when firing one of these. Nonetheless, they would be novel and fun to play with.

LL'

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Volcanic Pistol

I'm skeerd of 'em.... 'fraid they might erupt when I took holt of 'em.

ts

The 22lr versions were built and designed by Don Barker in Cody WY. Dustin Linebaugh, Johh Linebaugh's son did all the fit and finish work on the pistols. I know this because Barker rented the shop from me. He may have built a total of 30-40 finished Volcanic's. The originals did not have an extractor and that was a problem in the 22lr design. I believe the last ones were produced around 2001. Last time I spoke with Barker he did have enough parts to complete around 10 more guns. He sold the finished pistols for around $1600. I use to drag one of the pistols around to gunshows when I was selling Lasercast bullets. It was a very limited market for the Volcanic pistols and most guys could not justify spending money on such a unique firearm that was designed more to look at than to fire thousands of rounds.

LL'

Thanks for that information -- All I could recall was seeing the pistol as a prototype in Gun Digest. I'm not certain where my mind picked up the idea it was to be imported from South America (I'm probably confusing it with some other design). Thanks again -- I think one of those .22 Volcanics would be pretty much worth the $1600 -- not that I have that laying around.

Archived