SASS Wire Forum

New Vaquero Problem

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

Howdy Pards: I bought a new vaquero.........it would misfire ....sent it back ....ruger put in a new cylinder and a new loading gate spring.......now it is very hard to open the loading gate.....is there something I should smooth out or stone on the spring or plunger???Just guessing somthin' still ain't right ...like to fix it before something else wears out.....it is way stiffer to open than other new one I had bought at the same time......any Ideas???????Thanks..Tuco.

I have the same problem. One was very hard but smooth and I worked it out very nicely with some honing and contouring of the tip of the spring where it hits the gate cam.

Tried it with the other but that wasn't the issue. By the time I figured it out the spring was too short. Ruger was real nice and sent me a new spring. I am very sure that the culprit is burr or rough spot in the inboard side of the spring window of the frame. The gate cam pushes the spring horizontal into the burr and it would bind and not slide down like it supposed to. I can watch the spring hang up when the cylinder was removed and I get a pronounced wear mark on the side of the spring. The new spring they sent me is quite a bit longer and than the original and has a completely different profile that does a better job transferring the cam force vertical. So the gate is not as nice to open as the first one but at least it opens and it is still easier than what it was originally.

Bottom line for me is that I think Ruger has or had a worn or chipped tool that is making the gate spring window. Don't know if they pot broach it or how they make that feature but something is not right.

Lots of people are telling me to send to a gunsmith to fix. I will probably end up doing that. Did yours come back harder to open from Ruger?

Archived