SASS Wire Forum

Need help on buying steel targets

Two-Bit Charlie

We are trying to get CAS started at our club. I want to buy 10 targets so we can set up 1 stage at our club for the summer. I saw one company that advertised Cowboy Action Targets made of A36 steel 3/8" thick. They had a good price listed for them. What kind of steel is A36? Is 3/8" thick enough? It seems a little thin to me, but what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

Two-Bit Charlie

We are trying to get CAS started at our club. I want to buy 10 targets so we can set up 1 stage at our club for the summer. I saw one company that advertised Cowboy Action Targets made of A36 steel 3/8" thick. They had a good price listed for them. What kind of steel is A36? Is 3/8" thick enough? It seems a little thin to me, but what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

Two-Bit Charlie

A36 is standard construction grade steel. It will not hold up under use.

You want AR400 or higher steel. AR500 is better, but more expensive.

First things first, go out shopping for a local guy who has the right skills and equipment. When you find him you will want to recruit him as a cowboy shooter. Promise him fame and fortune from the club and local shooters setting up their practice ranges, think of it like playing a big fish! We have a better then average good one, shooter/welder, that is, and I am sure he loses money on every target he makes but he does it with a smile as he rings that steel Gunfighter style. Thanks Bull Whacker.

3/8" T1 is fine for regular cowboy rounds; if you are going to have long range, I would get some 1/2".

The stands are very important; ours are a fold up trypod design that the targets bolt solid to at an angle, 10 times safer than some welded up rebar with a hook letting the target swing around. I can place these rather close and still be safe.

Our targets and stands came from Arntzen. My link

There are a lot of 3/8" T1 targets out there, but they will bend with repeated use. We use AR400 for most of our targets, although a few are AR500. AR500 is very expensive and overkill IMHO. Our AR400 targets look as good as when we bought them two years ago. Ziggady Zag gave you a good link.

I have 5 AR400 steel targets on my range at home. A friend of mine cut them out of scrap (he works in a metal fab shop). They have withstood several thousand rounds -- most of it full load .40 cal stuff -- over the last couple of years without showing any worse for wear. I've also put a "few" :rolleyes: cowboy rounds onto them since I started SASS shooting. They are 3/8" thickness. I don't think I could've purchased anything any better for the purpose.

Oh yeah, get the fabricator to drill the hole for hanging it. I didn't and spent more time doing that than erecting the rest of the target mount. :rolleyes:

FWIW

Chick

If you cannot find a good local source, you could consider buying from Arntzen, then mosey down to Rockford, Illinois with a truck and pick up the targets yourself. It would probably save a lot on shipping.

Archived