SASS Wire Forum

Baikal shotgun, auto safety

Grizzly Dave

OK, next question, looking over Maruaders page on tuning the Baikal, the directions have to tearing the thing pretty much completely down so as to smooth everything. I'm not ready for that. How far do I have to go just to disable the auto safety? I remember from previous discussion that it is best just to remove or cut the pin attaching the lever to the safety, rather than removing the whole lever. If I just take off the butt stock, with the screw in from the end, and the screw at the back of the trigger guard to the stock, can I disable the safety without going any farther?

Got the cocking levers in and figured out, thanks!

The following left in just so the thread as a whole makes sense.

Brand new stock Baikal shotgun, front trigger = right barrel or left?

Got the papa dave's levers in, front trigger not cocking, need to swap back in the stock and try again but need to know which barrel the front trigger fires, I should know, but for the life of me can't think of it for sure.

thanks

Grizz

Question on disabling the auto safety down in post #7

Trina, I could but I don't have my shotgun press set up right now. I've done that in the past with pistol ammo to check something.

Goody was indeed correct it would seem, I replaced the right cocking lever with the stock one, now it opens fully and stays open, and cocks both barrels. Thanks Goody.

I"m so inspired I might just have a go at disabling the pesky auto safety tomorrow night!

Grizz

Trina, I could but I don't have my shotgun press set up right now. I've done that in the past with pistol ammo to check something.

Goody was indeed correct it would seem, I replaced the right cocking lever with the stock one, now it opens fully and stays open, and cocks both barrels. Thanks Goody.

I"m so inspired I might just have a go at disabling the pesky auto safety tomorrow night!

Grizz

You actually doubted me? :huh::P;)

Something you could try next time, assuming there is a next time, is a piece of scotch tape over the spent primers of two hulls. Close it, pull the trigger, whichever piece of tape has the hole is the one that would have fired.

Trina, wouldn't it be more fun to surprise that special someone? :rolleyes:

OK, next question, looking over Maruaders page on tuning the Baikal, the directions have to tearing the thing pretty much completely down so as to smooth everything. I'm not ready for that. How far do I have to go just to disable the auto safety? I remember from previous discussion that it is best just to remove or cut the pin attaching the lever to the safety, rather than removing the whole lever. If I just take off the butt stock, with the screw in from the end, and the screw at the back of the trigger guard to the stock, can I disable the safety without going any farther?

Thanks a ton.

Grizz

Howdy:If your baikal is stock......the front trigger is on the right side of the gun ..which releases the right sear and fires the right barrel....like wise the back trigger on the left side of the gun ,releases the left sear and fires the left barrel......if you miss a knock down...you only have to load the right barrel and pull the front trigger..they are good guns.......Tuco.

Thanks for the reply Tuco, I've got the cocking levers figured out and working like I think they should, now I"m on to trying to figure out how far I need to take it apart to disable the auto safety.

Thanks a ton.

Grizz

To disable the safety you just need to take the stock off, buttplate screws and then big one in stock. The safety is different than the stoeger, you can cut it down or take it off completely, but to do that you have to drive out the pin holding the lever spring assembly taking it out is easy getting the spring back and pin in is a little tricky but it will go back together.

Can you imagine my surprise when I woke up from a nap to the sound of primers going off? Rather loud in the house and my poor little heart wuz racin'! Went across the hall and there's my hubby aiming a pistol into one of my couch pillows..... I couldn't git mad, he wuz working on a new set of pistolas for me...... He's just lucky I didn't grab my duty weapon! :lol:

Remove the stock. To disable the auto safety feature all you need to do is drift a small pin over so it is to one side and file off a small portion. Then drift it back over where the pin can not be engaged. I left enough on mine where I can drift it over and make it work or move toward the other direction over and it will not engage. It is a pretty simple fix. This method leaves a working safety. It just disables the auto safety from engaging every time you break the action open.

With the stock removed and working the action you will see the pin working the auto safety.

Sounds easy enough, if I get time I'll have a go at it tonight. Have a match tomorrow so don't want to get it apart and not be able to get it done... but it sure would be nice not to have to remember to take the safety off.

Fer cryin out loud Stick a piece of thick paper or card stock across the breach face, hold it with yer finger with the gun open and pull a trigger. You will find out right now which firing pin is activated. BTW, swapping em so the front is the left and right is the rear is easy as pie.

Fer cryin out loud Stick a piece of thick paper or card stock across the breach face, hold it with yer finger with the gun open and pull a trigger. You will find out right now which firing pin is activated. BTW, swapping em so the front is the left and right is the rear is easy as pie.

AJ - I'm past that an onto the auto safety now, but thanks for the input :D

Got the papa Dave's cocking levers in last night and they work great. Did wind up putting the right stock lever back in, but it still opens all the way and stays open.

To disable the safety you just need to take the stock off, buttplate screws and then big one in stock. The safety is different than the stoeger, you can cut it down or take it off completely, but to do that you have to drive out the pin holding the lever spring assembly taking it out is easy getting the spring back and pin in is a little tricky but it will go back together.

Removing the link is not a good idea. The front end of that link acts as a bearing surface for the latch linkage. Just cut some off the $.02 pin enough so that the link no longer pushes on the safety.

Nate, right, that is the plan. How strong is that pin, will some dykes or end cutters nip it off or so I need to grind it?

I used a goodly strong pair of dikes and just cut it off (my electronics mentor would have a fit knowing I desecrated the dikes on steel, but it cut with only firm pressure). Ya need only cut about 1/2-2/3 of the pin off. When ya get the action out of the gun this will be obvious if ya manipulate the safety and see that pin on the back end of the "bar" that runs from the cocking mechanism to the manual safety. Just reach in and snip it enough so it misses the safety when it moves.

Grizzly,

Don't be afraid to tear it all the way down, its built like a T-34 tank.

Mine was rough as a cob, took it completely apart. Of course it was full of metal filings in every nook and cranny hosed it out with sea foam spray, got out the dremmel and ultra fine wet dry sand paper and cleaned up everything several times until every piece was smooth. I did replace the release lever spring with a cut down 1911 spring.

Now it is as smooth as my old Ithica SKB O/U.

Archived