SASS Wire Forum

THANKS got help for Stoeger website that explains

Blood Washed SASS #79269

My right one is worn down or bent...anyhow its too short to cock the right barrel unless I use excessive force.

Got some new ones today thanks to a wire search and Jefro's answer, that directed me to the correct place. Sometimes this here wire treats me good. Very helpfullllll at times........yessireeee.

Now when I git home tomorrow night I'll put them in, just tought a little insight would be helpfull.

Thanks fer the help pards,

Blood Washed

Very good info on those sites. Read them a couple times but can't find any info on which pins to knock out first from what direction etc. Want to remove the cocking levers......pins to remove.....then the cocking pins????

Guess I'll find out after I get the first pins out huh?

Thanks again,

Blood Washed

Howdy BW. If you look at the photo in Doc Martin's link you'll see two pins just above and to the right of "E.R. Amantino". The pin toward the front of the receiver holds the hammers, the one behind it holds the trigger levers. Before you do anything, pull the triggers to release the spring tension on the hammers. You'll need to remove the trigger levers first by driving the pin out (I do it from right to left). Then the pin holding the hammers can be driven out the same way. Be careful to keep left side and right side parts separate so they can be reassembled the same way.

Even though the hammers are in the "fired" position, they're still under spring tension. Drive the pin out slowly as parts can launch from the springs. Again, do not mix the parts.

Getting things apart is easy, but putting them back together is not. The hammer springs must be compressed while aligning the hammers so the pin can be driven back in. Depending on your skills and dexterity, you might consider leaving this job to a 'smith.

Good luck!

Howdy BW. If you look at the photo in Doc Martin's link you'll see two pins just above and to the right of "E.R. Amantino". The pin toward the front of the receiver holds the hammers, the one behind it holds the trigger levers. Before you do anything, pull the triggers to release the spring tension on the hammers. You'll need to remove the trigger levers first by driving the pin out (I do it from right to left). Then the pin holding the hammers can be driven out the same way. Be careful to keep left side and right side parts separate so they can be reassembled the same way.

Even though the hammers are in the "fired" position, they're still under spring tension. Drive the pin out slowly as parts can launch from the springs. Again, do not mix the parts.

Getting things apart is easy, but putting them back together is not. The hammer springs must be compressed while aligning the hammers so the pin can be driven back in. Depending on your skills and dexterity, you might consider leaving this job to a 'smith.

Good luck!

Thanks Deadwood Slim,

I was hopin there was some way other than underpressure spring removal and replacement.

I'll give er a try then. Oh, and not to worry........ I am skilled in dexterityness.

Thanks again,Blood Washed

Thanks Deadwood Slim,

I was hopin there was some way other than underpressure spring removal and replacement.

I'll give er a try then. Oh, and not to worry........ I am skilled in dexterityness.

Thanks again,Blood Washed

Say now BW, let me know if you need me to bring you a double to use.

Spittoon

I'll tell you folks, them hammer springs are tough. I have a Stoeger that has problems with the left side not always firing. I had a couple of hours with nothing to do yesterday so what the heck. I took that sucker down to the bare casting (got the firing pin retainer tool from D TRADER). Found a couple things that needed straightening out, got everything all polished up and lookin good. But trying to get them hammers in, trying to push the springs back, getting the hammers into position so the pins can be pushed in is a ROYAL pain.

So I made a tool. Had some bar stock laying around, got me a grinder, a Dremel, some files, a belt sander and made a tool that holds the hammer around the sear, I can push real hard to compress the spring, move it into place, and I am still able to tap the pins in.

It needs a little refinement, but I'm not sure how anybody does that job without a special tool. Good Luck.

Archived