SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero not locking cylinder up!

Rance - SASS # 54090

My old Vaquero, I've been shooting for the past 6 years.. :rolleyes: many 1000's of rounds and dry firing also..

During the winter it start having missfires and firing pin hitting the primer way off to the edge and missfiring.. cylinder not locking up.. :angry:

Pulling it from the holster it shot fine... picking it up off the table with my right hand and bringing it up quickly I could hear something make noise.. not normal.. it would missfire. Loading gate was not a tight closed fit.. Ahah.. needs extra good cleaning :rolleyes:

I took it apart to clean.. took the grip frame off.. Yeah.. it was dirty in there :blush: .. but I noticed the loading gate detent spring had been ground on in an area of th "U" curve that made it weaker.. The little paw sticking up that presses against the loading gate had been ground very thin on top.. these pistols have never had modifications done anywhere.. except for the lighter spring hammer and trigger springs I've done..

I called Ruger.. was told that they do indeed do some grinding on the springs.. They recommended putting the cleaned gun back together and see if it's fixed.. may have just been dirty.. Did that.. ;)

It seemed that whenever I'd flip the gun up to cycle the loading gate would creep open (that was the odd little noise I was hearing) and cylinder would not lock up.. turn the gun sideways with the right side (loading gate side) up it would cycle fine and always lock up..

Took it to my gunsmith.. told him of the loading gate not staying closed and the cylinder not locking up.. He examined it.. He determined that there was no excessive wear anywhere inside the gun.. no broken parts anywhere.. said he's never had a loading gate give or show that kind of problem.. but everything else he looked and and tried didn't correct the problem. He put in a new Loading gate spring.. Loading gate now closes and stays closed as it should and the cylinder turns and now locks up as it should.

Just sharing information about my problem and what fixed it. unusual as my gunsmith said.. never seen it before

Rance <_<

Thinkin' my Vaquero is OK now.

Thanks for sharing.

Is you comin' Sunday to da indoor? I got one o them springs, I think. I could pull it for ya and let Spur put it back together :P

Let me know if you need a loading gate spring, I could bring one, really.

CR

Is you comin' Sunday to da indoor? I got one o them springs, I think. I could pull it for ya and let Spur put it back together :P

Let me know if you need a loading gate spring, I could bring one, really.

CR

CR.. good ta hear from ya..

Yeah.. Lacey and I are coming Sunday.. Spur is suppose to be getting another loading gate spring for me so I can replace it in my other Vaquero.. but thanks for the offer.. :)

Rance <_<

Howdy:I bought a brand new new model vaquero that wouldn't lock and the loading gate was very stiff too close. shot about 200rd.s throughit and it would mis fire 2 out of 6 times......sent it to ruger ...they replaced the gate spring and put in a new cylinderand it still is haed to open and close.....I'll have to find out how to fix it myself..............Tuco.

Howdy:I bought a brand new new model vaquero that wouldn't lock and the loading gate was very stiff too close. shot about 200rd.s throughit and it would mis fire 2 out of 6 times......sent it to ruger ...they replaced the gate spring and put in a new cylinderand it still is haed to open and close.....I'll have to find out how to fix it myself..............Tuco.

Archived