SASS Wire Forum

I like to learn from my mistakes

Grizzly Dave

Creeker uncovered several of my 'oops' experiences within his well-constructed routine, most of which I have integrated into match days (through experience).

Loaded a cracked case in the rifle: bang, bang, stuck...8 misses.

By the time I figured it out at the unloading table, my daughter was at the line...bang, bang, stuck...8 misses.

:o

Bad Dad.

-Nate

No offense, but if you still do it this way, you obviously have not learned from your mistake. Load one, skip one, load four, close the loading gate, then just rotate the cylinder to lock it on the empty chamber. There is no reason to cock it until you are ready to shoot. At least this works for NMV's. Maybe the old ones are different.

I load one, skip, load 4, cock and lower hammer on my NMV's. When I purchased the NMV's I modified to load 5, close gate and make sure locked. Shot my open tops at a match and that (NMV procedure) had become ingrained and caused me problems. :blush: My feeble brain didn't process the difference, so now I follow the same procedure with all my SA pistols. I carefully lower the hammer on my NMV's same as all the others. Consistency helps me!

I load one, skip, load 4, cock and lower hammer on my NMV's. When I purchased the NMV's I modified to load 5, close gate and make sure locked. Shot my open tops at a match and that (NMV procedure) had become ingrained and caused me problems. :blush: My feeble brain didn't process the difference, so now I follow the same procedure with all my SA pistols. I carefully lower the hammer on my NMV's same as all the others. Consistency helps me!

I guess I'm confused - I've seen this in several postings now and I can't for the life of me figure

out how you can cock a RNV, or other Ruger single action, with the gate open?

The Ruger load sequence is open the gate on a gun with the hammer already down, insert 5 rounds, close the gate,

and make sure the empty chamber is under the hammer. If not, open the gate, rotate the cylinder until it is,

and close the gate. There is no rational reason to ever touch the hammer.

On a Colt you open the gate, go to half cock and do the load one, skip one, load four thing, followed by cocking

and slowly lowering the hammer on the empty chamber, while looking from the side to make sure it's truly empty.

Then close the gate.

When loading the gun at the table you have time to do it right.

Is there something I'm missing - I've been shooting Rugers and Colts for over 35 years now - but I might have missed the memo?

Shadow Catcher

Archived