SASS Wire Forum

I need to stick to sixguns

It's been a rough week at work, so I decided to cheer myself up and spend lunch today at one of the indoor ranges very near where I work. Instead of grabbing my sixguns as I usually do, I decided to grab my old school and my new fangled 45 auto's (a 1911 and a Glock). So I put up my zombie target, load up the Glock and get 3 shots off and the slide doesn't go fully into battery. So I lower it so I can see into the action and it isn't jammed, the slide is locked back. Odd... so I release it and get off 2 more shots and it happens again. Well, the magazines are fairly new so I wasn't expecting any magazine issues, but I switched magazines anyway and had it happen again during those 10 shots (California... :wacko: ). I can't figure it out so I set it down and feed the 1911 for a while. I try the Glock again and have the same issue. Then I realize that under recoil my off hand thumb is hitting the slide lock just at the right time to lock the slide open. Been long enough since I shot the Glock my hands just forgot how to hold it for a bit. A slight adjustment and it was ripping large easy to see 45 caliber holes in the target exactly where I was aiming. But it was a bit embarassing, and could have been an issue since the Glock is my nightstand gun. I used to shoot it very often, but have neglected it of late like a red headed stepchild (pardon the expression if you are a red headed stepchild <_< ).

Just a reminder to myself to be sure to run the guns through their paces on a more regular basis, especially those that are part of the "oh crap!" armory.

I guess you can be glad that you where at the range and not having to use it to defend yourself.

Archived