SASS Wire Forum

Help--Do cap & Ball guns sent to Michigan need to go thru an FFL?

Hi Folks:

Do cap & Ball guns sent to Michigan need to go thru an FFL?

Cabelas will only ship one to an FFL.

Want to make sure I don't break any laws.

Knowledgeable folks -- please advise.

Thanks in advance.

--Dawg

No they do not. In the past you would have had to but that law was changed two years ago. You still have to register CO2 pellet handguns though, go figure. Cabelas needs to educate themselves on the matter.

Howdy Dawg!

Got this from The Sportsmans Guide website:

WARNING: Black Powder firearms cannot be shipped to AZ; CA; CO; DE; HI; Chicago, IL; NJ, New York City; Las Vegas, NV; RI, TN, UT; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico.

Figure a major seller would be up to date to avoid problems. I don't see MI on the list, so my guess would be it's OK.

Thanks Deuce:

That was the info I was looking for.

Thanks Captain:

I have found in the past that some of these big companies aren't up-to-date.

Gonna see you at Tusco in April?

Bubba wrote the stages & they are good ones.

Fast & clean!

Think Spring!

--Dawg

Howdy Dawg!

WARNING: Black Powder firearms cannot be shipped to AZ; CA; CO; DE; HI; Chicago, IL; NJ, New York City; Las Vegas, NV; RI, TN, UT; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico.

Figure a major seller would be up to date to avoid problems. I don't see MI on the list, so my guess would be it's OK.

============================

Warning! Warning! Sportsmans Guide is the LAST PLACE to go for information on legal shipping. They won't ship 99% of their items to Calif and many other states even though they are perfectly legal in those states.

============================

Warning! Warning! Sportsmans Guide is the LAST PLACE to go for information on legal shipping. They won't ship 99% of their items to Calif and many other states even though they are perfectly legal in those states.

+1 What he said

Thanks Captain:

I have found in the past that some of these big companies aren't up-to-date.

Gonna see you at Tusco in April?

Bubba wrote the stages & they are good ones.

Fast & clean!

Think Spring!

--Dawg

Gonna try. Right now they've got me busy at work debugging the programming on the machine that's supposed to replace me. Ironic, ain't it?

Get the Frankenserver up and running and I'll have plenty of time to go shooting.

Took a look at a number of other vendor sites, and with a few variables they all pretty much list the same places. Better to err on the side of caution than get in an avoidable wrangle.

It's not a case of being scared - it's just business sense. If you were running a company that sells arms and ammunition, which would you rather do? Lose a sale or lose your a$$ in legal fees?

The larger issue now is actually shipping them. FedEx, UPS, and the USPS all have differing views of what they consider to be a firearm. Check each site to see what their rules are Dawg, and if necessary print 'em out to take with you. You're liable to run into some clerk who has his own ideas, and you'll have to show them in black & white what the company policy really is.

Took a look at a number of other vendor sites, and with a few variables they all pretty much list the same places. Better to err on the side of caution than get in an avoidable wrangle.

It's not a case of being scared - it's just business sense. If you were running a company that sells arms and ammunition, which would you rather do? Lose a sale or lose your a$$ in legal fees?

The larger issue now is actually shipping them. FedEx, UPS, and the USPS all have differing views of what they consider to be a firearm. Check each site to see what their rules are Dawg, and if necessary print 'em out to take with you. You're liable to run into some clerk who has his own ideas, and you'll have to show them in black & white what the company policy really is.

I just box 'em up and ship 'em in a flat rate box. Drop it in the overnight bin. Never had a problem, and a clear concience cause it's always to a legal destination. I buy the insurance.

CR

Howdy

It has nothing to do with legality. Many large outfits such as Cabela's have simply chosen they will not ship certain items to certain states. Their legal departments have decided that it is safer for them to err on the side of less hassle. You can argue about what the law says until you turn blue, but you are not going to change the corporate policy of these outfits.

No they do not. In the past you would have had to but that law was changed two years ago. You still have to register CO2 pellet handguns though, go figure. Cabelas needs to educate themselves on the matter.

Absolutely correct!!

GG ~:FlagAm:

Howdy Dawg!

Don't trust Sportsmans Guide to know what they're talking about. I've had them tell me stuff that wasn't true and they insisted it was after I sent them proof.

I will no longer do any business with them because they flat out lied instead o simply telling me they perferred not to ship to California. I could have accepted that.

I figured with a place like Sportsmans Guide; There would be a FULL time position just in FFL and DOJ type of shipping logistics for the country, to keep their and their customer's noses clean. But I guess that is just too large a job with all the state's laws this country has. Smithy.

Archived