SASS Wire Forum

True Grit's a cumin

Buffalo Creek Law Dog

Just received an email from Amazon.ca stating that the new True Grit will be available June 7, 2011 in both regular DVD and Blu-ray. Can't wait. :)

Just received an email from Amazon.ca stating that the new True Grit will be available June 7, 2011 in both regular DVD and Blu-ray. Can't wait. :)

Hope it has some good bonus material on the DVD. Ya know....maybe a making of.....and some other neat stuff.

That is toooooooo long to wait. I just bought the book this past weekend. It might take me that long to read it. :lol:

Hey Cope:

Nope -- It's a nice easy read.

Speaking of the movie.......

I read the Roger Ebert review the other day & came across a perspective on the Duke vs Bridges Rooster Cogburns that I had not considered before.

I liked them both by the way, & thought the Duke played the character with a pleasant amount of humor that Bridges did not display.

Anyway, here's the quote. To me it is a very interesting perspective.

--Dawg

"Bridges doesn't have the archetypal stature of the Duke. Few ever have. But he has here, I believe, an equal screen presence. We always knew we were looking at John Wayne in the original “True Grit” (1969). When we see Rooster Cogburn in this version, we're not thinking about Jeff Bridges.

Wayne wanted his tombstone to read, Feo, Fuerte y Formal (Ugly, Strong and Dignified). He was a handsome, weathered man when I met him in the 1960s and '70s, but not above a certain understandable vanity. Roo­ster might be an ornery gunslinger with an eye patch, but Wayne played him wearing a hairpiece and a corset. Jeff Bridges occupies the character like a homeless squatter. I found myself wondering how young Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld) could endure his body odor.

Bridges' interpretation is no doubt closer to the reality of a lawman in those years of the West. How savory can a man be when he lives in saloons and on horseback? Not all riders on the range carried a change of clothes"

Looks like it'll have some good features (including a few exclusive to the Blu-Ray):

* Mattie's True Grit

* From Bustles to Buckskin—Dressing for the 1880s

* Colts, Winchesters & Remingtons: The Guns of a Post-Civil War Western (BD-exclusive)

* Re-Creating Fort Smith

* The Cast

* Charles Portis—The Greatest Writer You've Never Heard Of... (BD-exclusive)

* The Cinematography of True Grit (BD-exclusive)

* Theatrical Trailer (BD-exclusive)

Looks like it'll have some good features (including a few exclusive to the Blu-Ray):

* Mattie's True Grit

* From Bustles to Buckskin—Dressing for the 1880s

* Colts, Winchesters & Remingtons: The Guns of a Post-Civil War Western (BD-exclusive)

* Re-Creating Fort Smith

* The Cast

* Charles Portis—The Greatest Writer You've Never Heard Of... (BD-exclusive)

* The Cinematography of True Grit (BD-exclusive)

* Theatrical Trailer (BD-exclusive)

That sounds great. Cant wait.

I was skeptical when I went to watch the new version cause I love the Duke and the first version, but I really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges is a great actor he also did a good job in the 90's movie Wild Bill if you haven't seen it it's worth your time.

Mebbby its time to git a bluray thing...

Hmmmm

Best

CR

You won't regret it, the clarity of Blu-ray is incredible, even regular DVDs played on a Blu-ray machine are clearer. The cost of High def TVs have really come down in price and now a Blu-ray DVD player doesn't cost much more than a regular DVD player. The first Blu-Ray DVD I saw was The Searchers, it was so clear that you almost felt that you could reach out an touch John Wayne. If you are into sports, with high def you see more of the field, diamond or ice as it gives you more picture than a regular TV. If the camera gives you a shot of the football field in regular TV you will see from the 30 yd line on one side of the screen to the 20 yd line on the right side. That same shot in high def, you will see the 10 yd line on the left and the goal line on the right. High def TVs are rectangle rather than square.

Take care.

Archived