Use it for a rifle rest.

Wear it in the sun.

Use it for a pillow.

Wear it in the sun.

Fan the fire with it.

Wear it in the rain.

Fan yourself with it.

Did I mention wear it?

Smack your horse between the ears with it, when he is looking around for something to spook at. It will distract him.

Let it blow across the corral while you are shovelling horse apples on a blustery day.

Failing that, wear it. Every time you leave the house to go to play or to work. Wear it proudly.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Shoot Outlaw 'n' let T-Bone Dooley get aholt of it! :lol::lol: You'll be amazed how quickly it'll age then! :unsure::angry::rolleyes:

Howdy Pard,

Shoot black powder a '73. I've seen hats aged that way.

Wear it in the rain. I've reshaped one of hubby's and one of mine that way. :rolleyes:

One of my favorite hats is a biege, Gus-crease Stetson that I bought used from another cowboy who thought it was too ratty to wear. :lol:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Howdy

As you can see, most of us think that a hat should achieve a well worn look from actual wear, not from some artificial means. It's kind of an integrity thing. I remember seeing some artificially aged hats in a fancy catalog once. It just did not seem right, to be buying something that had been 'pre-aged'. Kind of like kids buying jeans that are already ragged and full of holes.

It's really not very hard to age a hat, just wear it a bunch, as has been thoroughly described. Actually, if you think about it, there is nothing wrong with a nice shiny, new hat. They all had to be new once. Most cowboys probably wore their hats until they were completely worn out, then they would buy a new one and start the process all over again. No reason we should not do the same.

For what it's worth, I seem to remember something about using WD-40 for staining hats. Seem to remember something about alcohol and chalk solutions too.

If you choose to age your hat by shooting Black Powder, shells bouncing off your hat will leave soot marks if the hat is light colored, but the marks are more like little white chalk marks on a dark hat. Trust me on this, I usually wear a dark hat and always shoot Black Powder.

You might also want to know how to artificially age your guns, and you will also get answers about letting them wear naturally.

I have some hats that I would like to add a little age to. Does anyone know any good methods to add an aged look to hats?

send em to me for a couple of years

this hot desert sun and shootin 12 months of the year will do the trick

I have some aging hats.

I still wear em.

Hard to retire an aging hat.

My main match hat is starting to get a little haggard-looking , and I am considering sending it back to the maker for re-furbishing. I am one of those kinda guys that doesn't necessarily think distressed- looking stuff is nifty , be it clothes , hats , leather , or firearms.

Different strokes for different folks , Rex :D

Hey, Mike, I see you are from Pa-rump, is that right next to Ma-rump?

I call that bold talk from a 4-eyed Californian! I'm callin the Pahrump chamber of commerce first thing tomorra! :P

I got yore back Mike. :lol:

Here is a photo of a Festus hat that I made. It started a brand new hat that I won at Fandango so I decided to have sum fun wif it. I first sprayed around the sweat area with WD-40 and then it wasn't quite right so I sprayed with sum good strong coffee. The darker stains I rubbed sum dirt in while still wet from WD-40 & coffee.

Front of hat

Back of hat

Chili Pepper Kid

For what it is worth, this is coming from a fellow that has worn out a dozen hats in the last twenty years. (The NorthWet is not kind to Cowboy Hats)

First thing you do is put it ON... then go out to the wood pile and cut, split and stack a few cord of wood. Go back in the house, being sure to take it off as you enter the door, hang it carefully so it won't get crushed.

Next, put it ON... and go move a few tons of hay. Go back in the house, being sure to take it off as you enter the door, hang it carefully so it won't get crushed.

Then, put it ON... and go shovel a few yards of gravel around your barn yard. Go back in the house, being sure to take it off as you enter the door, hang it carefully so it won't get crushed.

After that, put it ON... and go shoe three or four horses. Go back in the house, being sure to take it off as you enter the door, hang it carefully so it won't get crushed.

Stay on this course, and you should end up with a reputable looking hat... one that has some character that you can share with it!

J.D.

Go to a dude or guest ranch where its dry and dusty and where they have lots of cattle and horses. Ride as much as possible, have a good time and enjoy yourself and maybe live a little bit of a dream. You'll get some real aging on your hat.

I have some hats that I would like to add a little age to. Does anyone know any good methods to add an aged look to hats?

Howdy, Pard,

Obtain a 10 lb. Chihauah-Norwhich terrier female dog that will chew anything she can get her mouth on. Give it to her for five minutes (no more!), and it'll look like it's well-aged! :rolleyes:

Alternatively, find a horse corral with horses. Throw the hat in there and stir up the horses.

If that doesn't do it, then resort to the other suggestions.

God's help to the people of Japan! Godspeed to those still in harm's way and those who may be sent in harm's way assisting in relief and also in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your Pard,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tatum

Use a spray bottle and spray water around the hat band where heavy sweat would show up. Then get some vacuum cleaner dust out of the vacuum's dust bag and apply it liberally to the wet area. Let the whole thing dry. Use brush to clean off loose dirt. Dirt that remains on hat will look like you've been in a Phoenix dust storm.

Ma-rump and Pa-rump

I call that bold talk from a 4-eyed Californian! I'm callin the Pahrump chamber of commerce first thing tomorra! :P

I got yore back Mike. :lol:

Bob ya better watch out the next thing you know the 4-eyed Californian might recommend your kissing my-rump

You know someone had to say it!

Archived