SASS Wire Forum

opinions wanted on Beretta Stampedes

Throckmorton,23149

Spotted a pair of these at a good price recently,but just didn't have any idea if they were good relialbe shooters,or ??

In general,would 600.00 a pair for like new looking Stampedes be a good price ,or would I be buying boat anchors.?

You will get a lot of negative responses and some positive responses. The positive responses will generally come from those that actually own and shoot them. I have owned 4 pair of Stampedes. Three of them were fine from the start. One of those I have been shooting as my primary guns for 6 years; one is my backup pair; and the third was sold to Coyote Dave to get him in to this game 4 years ago. He is still shooting them. The fourth pair was not right from the start. They went to spend a little time with Gunslinger and came back working great. I sold them after that, however, because they were 3 3/4" with birdshead grips and just didn't fit my hand.

In summary, if the naysayers talk you out of this one, please pass the current owner's info on to me. You will probably get several offers like this too. :rolleyes:

I started out with them in 45 colt... I liked them a lot. But went to RNVs in 38 after 2 years.

My shooting pard started out with them also, but had problems so he traded them...

They were about $450 each at the time.

I have a pair of Stampede Bisleys that I started shooting as my match pistols this year. Probably less than 1000 rounds through them so not a long track record but so far so good - no problems and manufacturing quality seems to be top notch. I have seen some posts stating that the transfer bar safety systems are problematic but I have not had any issues.

Prices I have seen recently for new Stampedes are around the $430 range. So $600 for a like new pair sounds like a deal to me.

BB

I started with Stampedes in 45 LC and paid $450 each with 5.5" barrels in stainless, so the price sounds good. The only malfuction I've had is a firing pin guide that backed out enough to cause high primers & subsequent lockup after 5 or 6 matches, but it was easily repaired. I still use them when I have more 45 to shoot than 38, but I did switch to the New Vaquero in 357/38 for my 'primary' main match pistols.

I have one I kinda bought by accident. I was looking for a deal to help get a friend into the game and I ended up buying a Beretta in .357 for myself. It shoots GREAT! Real accurate with it's 5.5" barrel. I have not shot it a lot as my main match guns have been Vaquero's in .45 Colt since I started the game. Therefore I can't speak from experience as to how well it will hold up to a lot of shooting. It was used when I bought it and if there were any problems with it prior to my buying it I am unaware of them.

It's good looking and handles well. $600 for a pair sounds pretty good.

I have no complaints with mine.

Angus

p.s. I like Beretta's, I carried a 92fs for most of my career as a LEO and shoot Beretta's on the Trap and Skeet range.

Howdy Throck,

I bought a pair while I was out there and had Will Shootem work them over before I used them. As I recall, they were fairly new on the market at the time and Will had to resolve an indexing problem for me. I understand that has been fixed in the newer productions.

I never had any more problems with them.

I'd jump all over a pair for $600.

Cascade Charlie

I saved this from a previous post;

The absolute, most rugged SAA is the Ruger. But I don't consider it to be a true SAA.

My list of the most rugged SAA type guns.

1.Rugers

Then the colt style guns.

2. USFA (Without a boubt, the finest made today)

3. Colt (sometimes)

The best European made colt style guns

4.EMF's Great Western II's by Pietta. (a dead on late 1st and 2nd gen colt clone with some upgrades)

5.Cimarron's Uberti made guns.

I just don't think the beretta or the taurus will take the long term abuse. The colt style lockwork clones like the Beretta stampede and the Taurus Goucho and the EAA bounty hunter have fatal flaws. These company's have gone in and added small delicate liability parts that will not stand the test of time. Small delicate parts is one of the reason the old colt thunderer and lightings were drop from the line. Same with the old top break smiths. Over time they just don't hold up. There have been other clones that had these small add on part that have gone by the wayside. The Hammerli's with the flip safety on the hammer. The most recent to be dropped were the Uberti "D" cam guns. They just didn't fair well. There are some SAA smiths that refused to even work on them.

Early on the Beretta stampede had lots of problems. The later guns were better. But, the majority of the problems have always seem to be timing issues related to the add-on parts. Ther good news is they can be improved on. Start by removing the transfer bar parts and filling the hammer face. Now you have a 1/2 cock gun with frame mounted firing pins.

Beretta stampede with hammer filled

Beretta stampede with hammer filled again

Guest diablo slim shootist

shot my pair of 38s for 7/8 years with only one part braking.

Still have them for back ups -shooting Ruger Montados now ;)

I have a pair that i bought from another shooter and one had to be sent back to Beretta......good news is that Beretta fixed it for free and polished the gun (nickel finish) back to looking new. Both of these pistols shoot very well and they are reliable.

Howdy Pard: I started with deluxe stampedes ...newer ones and STILL had lots of problems after being worked on 2x by gunsmiths...They don't hold up from practice use...if ya have a pair and don't shoot them ,they will last.........At 600.00 buy them and send them to someone who can take out the junk transfer bars ,etc.work the hammers and replace hands etc. Then you can shoot them...other wise they'll let you down in a match for sure...Tuco ( I wore mine out in the first season)

I started out in SASS with a pair of Beretta Bisleys, 4 5/8" barrels and .45LC. They died part way through my first match. I agree with Nate, Beretta took proven 1873 lockwork and added to it parts that just don't hold up. I thought they were well finished but internally mine just weren't right. Beretta made good by replacing them; but I lost faith and sold them.

I used Ruger Bisley Vaqueros for a couple seasons but have transitioned to Ruger Old Armys for SASS.

Today I just picked up a consecutive pair of EMF Great Western Pony Express revolvers that I will use as I get into mounted shooting. These are my first pair of Pietta SAAs and I am impressed at this point. Fit and finish is very nice. Timing looks good, hammer and trigger pulls are nice as well. Overall fit and finish is very well done for what they cost. I got them at the Valentine's day special price that they had at the time of $499 each.

Buy them !!! Smiths need to eat ...

The first few guns were VERY VERY prone to breaking, the newest ones are a lot better ...

But they still have added parts in a frame size to small to handle the added parts ,,,,,, so the parts are small and will break ...

They are accurate though ...

Getting parts can be a problem up here ...

Jabez Cowboy

I had a pair I used as my main match revolvers in 357. When my grandson started shooting I let him use them because of the transfer bar. Thought they would be safer. He has been using them for five years now and I used them for two years. Still work perfectly. I did have one with a low serial number that never worked right. I sent it back to beretta twice and they said it was my fault. It was only two months old when I sent it back. In my opinion, their customer service sucks, but the later Stampedes are great.

Regards,

Cherokee Gambler

Well I've been shooting a pair of Stampedes for 9 years and the only problem is a broken trigger spring last year.

My wife has shot hers for 6 years with no problem either.

But I'd like to know what gunsmith can take out the transfer bar?

I don't want to send them to Beretta because of the Wolf springs I put in when replaceing the trigger spring.

Thanks, Coyote Kid

Had a pair in .45 for 5 years that I bought from Will Shootum, never had any problem with them. I shoot double duelist FC and bought a pair of LongHunter NMV's with the SBH hammers. I sold my Stampedes to a friend who was just starting SASS 3 years ago and he is still shooting them.

Buy them...great price :rolleyes:

Spotted a pair of these at a good price recently,but just didn't have any idea if they were good relialbe shooters,or ??

In general,would 600.00 a pair for like new looking Stampedes be a good price ,or would I be buying boat anchors.?

Well did ya buy them????????????????

Blood Washed

Archived