SASS Wire Forum

RB-17 Gun cleaning product

Cabalero Chuck

Below is the advertising speal on an eBay page that is marketing this stuff. I can't quite remember where I initially heard about it, but it wasn't an infomercial or anything like that (some kind of gun site lately).

I'd like to know if anyone here can say yea/ney - good/bad -or- whatever about it. I have some surface rust on a few not-so-well stored guns, and I would like to clean them up without causing any further harm to original blueing.

It sounds like "Wonder-cleaner" for guns, but who hasn't heard that before? Is there any truth to it? Does anyone have first-hand experience? I sure would like to know before making the plunge.

RB-17 NATIONALLY ACCLAIMED GUN CLEANER 16 OZ. P/N: 17016

Dissolves LEAD AND COPPER build-up down the BORE

Dissolves BLACK POWDER

Removes RUST

Does NOT harm BLUING

Removes POWDER BURNS from Cylinders

BIODEGRADABLE NO PHOSPHATES, NO ACIDS

SURFACE CLEANING: - RB17 REMOVES RUST FROM YOUR BLUED GUN WITHOUT HARMING THE BLUING. APPLY RB-17 TO OOOO STEEL WOOL RB-17 ACTS AS A BUFFER BETWEEN THE 0000 STEEL WOOL AND YOUR BLUING. SCRUB THE GUN'S SURFACE UNTIL ALL THE RUST, GREASE AND GUN OIL ARE REMOVED. WIPE THE GUN WITH A CLEAN RAG TO REMOVE ANY RESIDUE. TO COMPLETE THE CLEANING, USE RB-17 FINISHING OIL TO PROTECT THE METAL AND PREVENT RUSTING.

BORE CLEANING: RB-17 WILL DISSOLVE/REMOVE LEAD, COPPER, RUST AND BRASS BUILD-UP FROM THE BORE. RB-17 WILL ALSO REMOVE PLASTIC BUILD-UP FROM THE BORE OF YOUR SHOTGUN, APPLY RB-17 TO YOUR BORE BRUSH. THE RB-17 IS A GEL AND WILL STICK TO YOUR BRUSH. SCRUB THE BORE WITH THE SATURATED BORE BRUSH UNTIL THE BORE IS CLEAN. IF THE BORE IS VERY DIRTY YOU MAY WANT TO LET THE RB-17 SOAK IN THE BORE FOR FIVE TO TEN MINUTES AFTER YOUR FIRST SCRUBBING. SCRUB AGAIN. REPEAT AS NECESSARY. RUN A DRY PATCH DOWN THE BORE TO ELIMINATE ANY REMAINING RESIDUE. APPLY RB-17 FINISHING OIL TO A CLEAN PATCH AND RUN THE WET PATCH DOWN THE BORE TO PROTECT THE CLEAN PATCH AND RUN THE WET PATCH DOWN THE BORE TO PROTECT THE METAL AND PREVENT RUSTING AS RB-17 IS NOT A PRESERVATIVE. REMOVE EXCESS OIL WITH A CLEAN PATCH.

CLEANING REVOLVERS: RB-17 REMOVES THE POWDER BURNS FOUND ON THE CYLINDERS OF STAINLESS STEEL OR CHROME REVOLVERS. APPLY RB-17 TO THE FORCING CONE AND ALLOW TO SOAK. APPLY RB-17 TO A SCUFFING PAD AND SCRUB THE POWDER BURNS FROM THE FACE OF THE CYLINDER. FOR BEST RESULTS, USE SCOTH-BRITE SCUFFING PADS. REMEMBER TO USE 0000 STEEL WOOL IF CYLINDER IS BLUED. NOW APPLY RB-17 TO YOUR BORE BRUSH AND CLEAN THE CHARGING HOLES. RETURN TO THE FORCING CONE AND USE THE SCUFFING PAD WITH THE RB-17 TO SCRUB OFF THE POWDER BUILD-UP. AS ALWAYS, OIL YOUR CLEANED GUN TO PROTECT THE METAL AND PREVENT RUSTING.

REMOVING BLACK POWDER RESIDUE: RB-17 WILL DISSOLVE BLACK POWDER RESIDUE FROM ANY BLACK POWDER PISTOL OR RIFLE BY JUST SCRUBBING THE SURFACE AND BORE OF THE FIREARM FOLLOWING THE CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE, AGAIN, MAKE SURE YOU OIL YOUR GUN AFTER CLEANING.

What is RB-17 Gun Cleaner?

RB-17 Gun Cleaner is a non-toxic, biodegradable gel made of natural products that contains no acids, phosphates or petroleum by-products. RB-17 Gun Cleaner completely dissolves (deep cleans) rust from all metal parts in seconds by removing the oxygen molecule from the process of oxidation. The breakdown of the oxides, i.e. lead, copper or iron, is done quickly and safely. RB-17 Gun Cleaner removes the rust off of your blued gun without harming the bluing. RB-17 Gun Cleaner will dissolve/remove lead, copper and brass build-up from the bore. When applied to the bore it will dissolve or dislodge any lead or copper that may have built up in the lands and grooves. RB-17 Gun Cleaner will also remove plastic build-up from the bore of your shotgun. RB-17 Gun Cleaner will remove old gun oil, hand stains and worn varnish from the gun stock. RB-17 Gun Cleaner removes powder burns found on the cylinder of stainless steel and chrome revolvers. RB-17 Gun Cleaner will dissolve black powder residue off any black powder pistol or rifle.

In addition to gun collectors and shooters, RB-17 products have been used for years by such high-profile organizations as:

Canadian armed forces and police services.

USA Department of Justice personnel.

USA Air Forces.

USA Coast Guard.

USA National Park Service.

Shilen – maker of fine barrels, triggers and bullets.

Springfield Armoury.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140518538787&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Archived