SASS Wire Forum

Hats

Buckhorn Woodie

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok back in the days in the 1800's not every one wore cowboy hats many in the city's & coastal towns wore a cap like a Newsboy cap or a sailor's fishing cap...what do you think of this kind of hat for the monthly shoots? :unsure:

Take a look at my avatar. I sometimes wear a M1881 Sun Helmet. (Think Gunga Din).

We ain't city slickers. We are cowboys. We wear cowboy hats. We don't require much from participants. Cowboy hats are not required but they are expected. Please wear a cowboy hat and just say no to "newsboy" caps and such.

My dad and uncles had another name for those caps which cannot be repeated here.

Well I was speaking of western towns not eastern and being born & raised in a town that was a big part of are western history I know that not everyone wore what we call " cowboy Hats' today that town is called Placerville but at one time it was named "Hangtown" and it was called that for a reason...Hangtown was a mining town so working the claims not always was a big brimmed hat practical or fokes wore the hat they came west with.

As for what your dad & uncles called these kind of hats if you can't print it here please PM me...I have a very thick skin and I am always up for a good laugh especially if it is not politically correct or off color :rolleyes:

Bowlers,top hats.cone-skin hats ,Indian headband all excepted-no hat at all

for a townie would work too .We have one shooter that wears a pork pie hat sometimes

but it does make him stick out in the crowd.Me I have 12 cowboy hats -It is Texas here! ;)

IN California they wore lots of strange stuff!HAHA

Well I had people tell me they think I was born with a cowboy had on my head and I only have 1/2 as many as you do...at this time but I am working on it :rolleyes:

Deadwood, Dak. 1889 - http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/webimages/1880_gallery_04.jpg

Note the cap on the man second from the right.

Thank You ...a few of those hats is what I was talking about.

Here is a short piece, with illustrations, on the subject of western hats: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7622.0

Also, check out images of that classic western gunfighter, Bat Masterson.

Wow, lots of images and info here. Thanks

What is the man standing behind the tripod on the right wearing?

Looks like a Yarmulke....I have a cupple of them too

Edit:....Whoops I was looking at the guy behind the tripod on the left....by the way a Yarmulke would also be period correct....as long as I did not get caught eating pork ribs after the match :rolleyes:

Wow, lots of images and info here. Thanks

Yeah! Isn't it great? I love researching things. And the initial post there even ties into the B Western idea,since he starts off talking about hats in western movies.

And you are most welcome.

We ain't city slickers. We are cowboys. We wear cowboy hats. We don't require much from participants. Cowboy hats are not required but they are expected. Please wear a cowboy hat and just say no to "newsboy" caps and such.

My dad and uncles had another name for those caps which cannot be repeated here.

Lone Dog -

I've been in this sport for awhile, but I never "expected" anyone to limit their costuming to cowboy hats. We have categories that require specific hats, but otherwise the shooter is free to get creative. Would you tell this gentleman to put on a "cowboy" hat? Chainbreaker 1 Chainbreaker 2

Hey Woodie,

Look at these, seamen's, costumes and hats.

Regards,

Allie

Thanks Allie...I have a hat something like the guy in the 6th photo down to the left holding the kid.

Ok back in the days in the 1800's not every one wore cowboy hats many in the city's & coastal towns wore a cap like a Newsboy cap or a sailor's fishing cap...what do you think of this kind of hat for the monthly shoots? :unsure:

I can't find a rule that requires a hat except for a couple of categories???

I'm a new guy so my opinion is only my own but this takes me back to the threads about getting newer/younger, or just more participants in SASS/CAS.

If we told everyone that they had to dress in a certain manner it would seriously hamstring the sport and frankly, become monotonous.

Keep it period correct and have fun!

Heck, I'm overweight, how many pudgy cowpokes did you ever see in photographs?

Someone mentioned blacksmith, that could be fun a big ole hammer and anvil on the gun cart! B)

Hey Pard - yer a new guy - and ya know what - your opinion is worth every bit as much as the old guys.

Okie got it right - the game's the thing . . .

Hell - I hate wearing a hat - and do it under duress or a hot sun!

Shadow Catcher

Old Top

Curley

Here are a couple of gents that ain't wearin cowboy hats...

And for the first 4-5 years I knew 4Trod, I didn't even know that he owned a "cowboy" hat

good shootin

curley

and lets see more pix.

Hey Pard - yer a new guy - and ya know what - your opinion is worth every bit as much as the old guys.

Okie got it right - the game's the thing . . .

Hell - I hate wearing a hat - and do it under duress or a hot sun!

Shadow Catcher

Thanks Shadow Catcher.

As a fair-skinned bald guy a hat is a necessity for me outdoors. I like seeing all of the period hats and costumes, though I stuck to a Gus style cowboy hat for now, i could see me dressing for another role someday.

Here in Humboldt (rainy) County, on the Pacific, a sea faring fisherman would be about as period correct as anything. :)

I bet a rainproof slicker and hat would be brutal to wear in Arizona or Texas during the summer though. :o

My stars! How are you darlin'? It's been a while. You are absolutely correct; that is our friend Boston John 1 and Boston John the Railroad Man

Those are awesome!

Anything to do with the railroad is cool and the plaid jacket... WOW.

I could never make the outfits that great though, I can't grow a great mustache.

Thanks for sharing the photos everyone!

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

;)

I haven't read the other posts yet, so pardon me if I say something that someone else has already said. The fact is that this is a Cowboy Shooting Sport, it's called Cowboy Action Shooting.

And while I've seen all sorts of Top Hats and such, it's not some 1800's reenactment group and caps are not allowed.

I remember seeing Opie (Ron Howard) wear such a hat that you're talking about in The Shootist with John Wayne. It looked dumb on him holding JW's Colt SA, and it would definitely out of place at one of our shoots.

And since some folks want to get history involved, remember that all Newsboys of the late 1800s didn't wear

"skimmers" like Opie did in The Shootist.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/3952519005_4d3030935e.jpg

http://www.authentichistory.com/1865-1897/progressive/riis/213.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3641/3286340326_fbb806376b.jpg

This was actually the Newsboy hat of the late 1800's -

http://images3.lkimg.com/product-images--007e69f874b358197a3bf4a20621c8b55b52bd3a-282f0191b7bd6b4e--jpg__270_270--image.jpg

This hat that some people associate with Newsboys started with Wealthy Golfers in the late 1800s and didn't become associated with Newsboys until the 1920s and into the Great Depression - The Eight Panel Cap

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Eight_panel.JPG

According to HatsintheBelfry.com - This classic style became popular in the early 20th century in Europe and America among both boys and adult men. It is widely associated with news paper boys (hence the name Newsboy Hats), as many of the young boys wore them during the early 1900's.

But pard, if you don't like dressing Cowboy, then maybe you can start an 1800's City Slicker Shooting Club where everyone wears tweat jackets, smokes pipes, and you only shoot small hide-away double action guns?

Heck, maybe you can OK the wearing of knee high breeches like the Newsboys used to wear? Maybe have a Sailor Category? Although attempting to accomplish a sweep with a harpoon gun might be a little tough?

http://www.vallejogallery.com/objects/whaling%20harpoon%20guns/WW%20GREENER%20HARPOON%20GUN%20SHIP%20KARA%202/1000%20dpi%20full%20view3.jpg

If you really don't want to wear a Cowboy hat then maybe you might want to wear a chamber pot like this. It was very popular and people in the cities and towns loved them.

http://hipheadgear.com/proddetail.asp?prod=476474206

They might no shield you from the sun and the rain very well like say a 4 inch brim, But then again, wearing that hat is probably good insurance if you don't want anyone to mistake you for a Cowboy. And heck, even a great Old West shooter like Bat Masterson wore one when he wanted to look a little more dandified and refined.

By who?

By me. It's cowboy action shooting, not newsboy action shooting. Those kinda caps would be ok for the zoot shooters but I would hate to see them get a foothold in CAS. I mean I would REALLY hate it. If I ever showed up to a shoot and everyone else but me was wearing one of those NON cowboy caps I would go back home and hang up my guns.

Of course no one is required to live up to my expectations. I know I surely fail to measure up to other's expectations as well but it sure ain't never gonna be for not wearing a dang cowboy hat.

I remember the first 2 EOTs after they moved it to NM I went as a conventioneer. I knew which waddies were yankees before they ever opened their mouth to hear the accent. They were sporting those goofy leather Two Mules for Sister Sara "thingies" on they haid. You sure cain't call those ugly things cowboy hats.

It will never cease to amaze me what some folks think is proper head gear for this game. Down here in these parts we just don't have that problem. We all wear cowboy hats and mighty proud to do so. And I'm not about to apologize for that narrow-minded view to anyone.

Okay you guys who think it's only Cowboy as far as costuming goes,

Townies and bankers have been in the sport for a long time. Ladies show up in underwear, Victorian Bathing Suits...

Some folks dress in overalls, some dress like conductors, some dress like firemen, some dress like saloon girls, some dress like mountain men...

So, it is true that the most basic costume is some version of cowboy. However, I think some of the creative costumes add ambiance to a match.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS A group of folks dressed like firemen and their ladies auxiliary won first place at the costume contest at the Convention in 2009. So how ya like them apples?

Thanks Joe! This is a great site!

My pleasure, Paniolo. I too thought it a good find. Especially because you can use it to support both sides of the discussion. My favorites are the 1869 UPRR crew and the cockfight in 1880s Tombstone. Both show a variety of hats, mostly of the wide brim sort, but with enough other types to show that others were not really uncommon. Also, most of the hats shown are not what most people in the US would consider "cowboy hats."

It is also interesting to note the two tone faces that are quiet evident because the hats are tipped back in the UPRR photo. The upper part of the face and the foreheads are almost totally untanned, while the lower part of the face are quite tanned. Shows the habitual wearing of some sort of wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off.

Okay you guys who think it's only Cowboy as far as costuming goes,

Townies and bankers have been in the sport for a long time. Ladies show up in underwear, Victorian Bathing Suits...

Some folks dress in overalls, some dress like conductors, some dress like firemen, some dress like saloon girls, some dress like mountain men...

So, it is true that the most basic costume is some version of cowboy. However, I think some of the creative costumes add ambiance to a match.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS A group of folks dressed like firemen and their ladies auxiliary won first place at the costume contest at the Convention in 2009. So how ya like them apples?

Yup. Delaney Rose and I won Best Dressed Couple at the convention in 2008. Nice apples!

Archived