SASS Wire Forum

Hats

Buckhorn Woodie

Ok back in the days in the 1800's not every one wore cowboy hats many in the city's & coastal towns wore a cap like a Newsboy cap or a sailor's fishing cap...what do you think of this kind of hat for the monthly shoots? :unsure:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We ain't city slickers. We are cowboys. We wear cowboy hats. We don't require much from participants. Cowboy hats are not required but they are expected. Please wear a cowboy hat and just say no to "newsboy" caps and such.

My dad and uncles had another name for those caps which cannot be repeated here.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Bowlers,top hats.cone-skin hats ,Indian headband all excepted-no hat at all

for a townie would work too .We have one shooter that wears a pork pie hat sometimes

but it does make him stick out in the crowd.Me I have 12 cowboy hats -It is Texas here! ;)

IN California they wore lots of strange stuff!HAHA

Ok back in the days in the 1800's not every one wore cowboy hats many in the city's & coastal towns wore a cap like a Newsboy cap or a sailor's fishing cap...what do you think of this kind of hat for the monthly shoots? :unsure:

I would not think much of it.

Cowboy Action Shooting is the name of the game.

Not New York City newsboy shooting.

But that is just my opinion.

Irregardless of what someone may have called this type of headgear it was seen in cowcamps often. Besides, a lot of the "cowboy" hats worn at matches don't go back much farther than pickup trucks. As long as your non cowboy hat headgear fits the period it should be ok. :)

You don't have to wear a cowboy hat (except certain categories) and IMO other hats look cool IF you have the rest of the clothes to make it look right. Me though, I'm wearing the cowboy hat.......because it keeps the brass from raining down on my head.

Howdy

I am of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with wearing a hat other than a cowboy hat. Just watch any recently made western like Tombstone to see what other kinds of hats were authentic to the time.

Personally, I do like to wear a cowboy hat, but I do not feel like I have to enforce my preference on others.

We ain't city slickers. We are cowboys.

No... we are not.

We are a group that dress the same as those of an era. We are Pinkertons, soldiers, miners, prospectors, train engineers, saloon keeps, and sailors. Most which that never wore a "cowboy" hat.

Wear whatever your SASS alias inspires you to wear.

wear what you want! as long as it is period correct, many farm boys, towns men, etc. left home with the clothes on their back to see the elephant! and become "cowboys" in the time after the War of Northern Oppression, as long as your having fun go for it

Rafe :FlagAm:

Baseball was invented and teams started playing in the late 1800's. Get my drift....the rules specify no baseball hats. What a can of worms :o I'll stick to my cowboy hats for shootin. Dress up at dinners and the like, well a derby goes good there. :D

The "hat that won the west" was the derby, not the cowboy hat. Most people did not wear cowboy hats. Wear what you want--if it's hysterically correct-- unless shooting CC or BW.

Shady Bradys and ball caps are outlawed per the rules -- other than that you are golden. We have a local fellow who dresses up just like Sherlock Holmes. I haven't heard anyone complain about his outfit. Make CAS your game, not what someone else thinks your game should be. If you want to be a banker, blacksmith, engineer, soldier, Indian brave, sawbones, gunsmith, merchant, lawyer, saloon keeper, postmaster, telegraph operator, gambler, sheriff, whatever, it is your choice. Dress the part.

Any hat from the 1800's is fine with me. I've seen all kinds at shoots. Go for it Pard.

Hi Woodie,

Joe's link is great. I can envision that Mechanics hat with an old tyme costume. There were also other caps in group shots too. IMO, if someone is wearing a "Newsboy cap or a sailor's fishing cap," the rest of the costume should go with that cap. It would look totally out of place if the rest of the costume were a drover-type costume.

The following is from p. 3 of the SHB. "Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television."

Although monthlies are more relaxed, I do not believe "outlawed items" should ever be worn. So, simple ball caps are a no-no.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Shady Bradys and ball caps are outlawed per the rules -- other than that you are golden. We have a local fellow who dresses up just like Sherlock Holmes. I haven't heard anyone complain about his outfit. Make CAS your game, not what someone else thinks your game should be. If you want to be a banker, blacksmith, engineer, soldier, Indian brave, sawbones, gunsmith, merchant, lawyer, saloon keeper, postmaster, telegraph operator, gambler, sheriff, whatever, it is your choice. Dress the part.

Ta Daaa!! :) Enjoy the game your way. The same misconception often comes up about boots. Boots and hats are only required in the two costume categories, B-Western and Classic Cowboy. I dress as a townie and have always worn leather shoes, had more than one MD tell me before too long I needed to get some boots. My standard reply is "I'm a Real Estate Tycoon, trying to steal all the water rights from the cattlemen" :D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I very seldom wear a cowboy hat. I usually have on a forage cap. I do admit I sometimes get my neck & ears sunburned.

Guest Copper Mart

I've got a bunch of hats. Derby, palm panama, Stetson bought in June 1948 (well used), several more modern Stetsons and a fisherman's hat. Right now the derby is my favorite, followed by the palm on those really sunny summer days and one of the Stetsons when it's raining. Wear what ya like.

I'm a new guy so my opinion is only my own but this takes me back to the threads about getting newer/younger, or just more participants in SASS/CAS.

If we told everyone that they had to dress in a certain manner it would seriously hamstring the sport and frankly, become monotonous.

Keep it period correct and have fun!

Heck, I'm overweight, how many pudgy cowpokes did you ever see in photographs?

Someone mentioned blacksmith, that could be fun a big ole hammer and anvil on the gun cart! B)

Whom, not who. Objective case. ;)

Hats for fellers who say "whom".

Good Show

Aren't we grand?

Phi Beta Whatever

I say old boy

Get off the bloody lawn

:lol:

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

one of our regular shooters showed up at a match recently dressed as Michael McCandles (Chris Mitchum) from Big Jake

OOOOOO....that first one is dandy! ;)

(really...I think it would look great with an artillery red silk band on it, go well with my grey uniform).

ADDED:

By the way, my fraternity was Aye Phelta Thigh

OOOOOO....that first one is dandy! ;)

(really...I think it would look great with an artillery red silk band on it, go well with my grey uniform).

ADDED:

By the way, my fraternity was Aye Phelta Thigh

Here's one for ya.

Artillery hat :lol: :lol:

Here's one for ya.

Artillery hat :lol: :lol:

Yep...raht faaahn lookin' hat! Raht fahn. I can just see myself, standing next to the battalion commander, topped by that fine chapeau, barking out "By piece from the left! Five second intervals! REAAAADDDDYYYYY! FIRE!" Be a sight and sound to behold, it would. :lol:

Archived