SASS Wire Forum

Best stagecoach Shotgun?

FunnyRunner

You want external or internal hammers? Is he gonna use it for cowboy shooting or something else? Single or double trigger?

External hammered, a TTN

Internal in that price range, either one of the new Baikals or a Stoeger.

I own a TTN clone made by Cimmaron I think it is, and love it, it worked well right out of the box and all I've done to it is clean it, shoot it, and polish the chambers a little bit.

I just bought a new Baikal, nice shotgun, but needs a little work before it's really usable for cowboy shooting. I have some papa Dave's cocking levers on the way to help it fall all the way open easily and stay there. Depending on how I like it then, it may go off to a smith for more smoothing.

I bought both my shotguns from Phil Rezac both he and his son Joel are good folks to deal with.

Never had a Stoeger so can't really speak to them other than I've heard of several folks who have had trouble with the single trigger guns letting both hammers drop and fire both barrels at once.

HTH

Grizz

If you have an Academy Sports store nearby, check this one out Yildiz shotgun. Very well made, works great. You or your son may want to have the barrels shortened, a gunsmith can do that pretty inexpensively. I recently got one and I really like it.

Another plug for Phil Rezac.........

Great folks to deal with!

~EE Taft~

Is this to use for CAS, or just having fun with? The Stoeger is the most economical and will work fine for just having fun. It does need a little work to make it work well for CAS.

If it is just for shooting, I'd probably look for an older (Stevens, Ithica, etc) SxS. I see a lot of these in the $200-500 range.

What's the best S/S shotgun for around $500.00? External hammers unless there is an advantage to internal hammers.

Gonna get my son one for graduation this summer.

Thanks for any advice.

Are you wanting to get it for him for this game????

If so. I might sure rethink that external hammer thing.

Unless that is what HE wants. OR if he is wanting to shoot Classic Cowboy.

If he is like most youngsters around here. He likes speed. And that is going to slow him down some.

And shooting against others his age in the aged based category. Will put him at a little disadvantage.

As there are very few that can shoot a external as fast as an internal. T-Bone, Cowhand and maybe a few other

can. But MOST can not.

But if that is what HE wants. The TTN would be that way I would go.

For internal in that price. I would go with the Baikal. For that price you could get one slicked up and

ready to go. I know Gunslinger just got some in. And he can make them a great SASS gun.

What's the best S/S shotgun for around $500.00? External hammers unless there is an advantage to internal hammers.

Gonna get my son one for graduation this summer.

Thanks for any advice.

Well since you asked, this in my humble opinion is the best SXS. I have one and it is slick, lots of attention to detail.

http://www.coyotecap.com/mod__%2799_wcse.htm

Tell him to look around various gun sites if he's not in a rush. A few months back I saw a Rossi hammer gun with silver engraved side plates,fine looking wood, first I ever saw, if I didnt have one I would have grabbed it.

+1 for Gunslinger. A great guy to work with. He turned my beat up old Baikal into a magic wand.

Gunslinger Inc. Ovilla TX Robert Sanders 972-617-6511

He is one of the SASS affiliated merchants.

Archived