SASS Wire Forum

Carrying a loaded broomhandle

Before I ask this question - I KNOW THE C96 MAUSER IS NOT SASS AUTHORIZED FOR WILD BUNCH! OK?

Now, if you are a member of club that will let you shoot your broomhandle in their Wild Bunch matches, how do you safely load and holster the beast? If you use a stripper clip at the loading table, the gun will load the first round, leaving you the option of CAREFULLY lowering the hammer on a loaded round which ain't really safe to holster - then holstering the loaded gun with a loaded round in your holster. Nope, ain't gonna happen, right? Very right! Now, I believe there are a couple of options here -

- loading a dead round as the last round on the stripper - six rounds into the magazine, the sixth being the inert round - pistol chambers the inert round, holster, go to the first stage, eject the inert round and shoot. Additional rounds could be loaded with five - chambering the live round at the shooting station

- loading five on the stripper and pushing down on the top round so the bolt slides forward without chambering, lower the hammer. This however, doesn't allow for the spotter to check to make sure a round is not chambered

- loading the magazine from the bottom with the bolt forward. Remove the bottom plate and place the rounds in the magazine - then replace the plate and spring. This guarantees there is no round in the chamber. On the firing line, pull back the bolt, chamber and start shooting

Would appreciate any insights any of you pards that shoot this beautiful beast might have. Again, I KNOW THIS GUN AIN'T LEGAL FOR WILD BUNCH (YET??)I am just asking because some progessive, have fun clubs say "Go ahead and safely enjoy it" And I want to.

Thanks - PCR

Plenty of "progrressive" clubs that will let you shoot that fine old iron. (remember to use 7.63 MAUSER ammo and NOT 7.62X25 Tokarev! I would also suggest buying a complete spring kit from Wolff

www.gunsprings.com

them old springs are gonna be tired! (And check the bolt stop for cracks)

To load you will need stripper clips. With the bolt to the rear the follower will lock the bolt back. Insert the strip in the guide, it will keep the bolt back until you pull it out. Once rounds are loaded in the magazine, push down on the top round with a thumb as you pull the stripper clip out. The bolt will close on your thumb but there's not much spring pressure. Make sure the bolt closes on an empty! Then let the hammer down. I strongly suggest NOT dry firing the gun to drop the hammer under any circumstances; let the hammer down easy or you risk damaging the firing pin.

Spotters should easily be able to see a live round is not chambered when you do this.

Dubious Don has hit the nail on the head.

I do not often shoot any of my brooms in official competition, but the loading procedure he describes has worked well for me for 40 years.

One further note - springs and tune-ups can also be had thru the Broomcloset [904-964-5053].

Finally, if your SASS group allows brooms to be used, check out the quick draw wood holster used in the movie "The Great Silence". A lot of people think it is a 'prop' -in actuality, it was a modified wood holster by Westley-Richards in London for cavalry British troops during the Boer War.

TULL

Good tips. Now how about suggestions for holsters for concealed carry.

Sorry, couldn't hep myself. :lol:

i waz range master recently

while Pawn Stars filmed a segment with a 1830ish english :ph34r:black powder :ph34r: cain

what a hoot

carring a loaded cane can be done

so

carring a loaded broom can be done, 2

http://pvtimes.com/news/pawn-stars-invade-local-gun-range/

the paper guys werent there when we did the cane......but were for this part

Concealed Carry Broomhandle Holster

Utah Bob -

Ye of little faith ! ! !

I know I have posted this pic before, but here it is again.

A broomhandle concealed carry holster, with 4 loaded stripper clips to balance it out.

The holster was originally a WW II Army Air Corp shoulder holster for the revolver carried by some pilots - the broom is a perfect fit with minimal modifications [mostly to the straps].

VERY concealable.

TULL

I've been using a A-Zoom red snap cap for the sixth round for some time now, I prefer it to trying to juggle the pistol while pushing the follower down and letting the bolt go forward, For us less manually dexterous folks it eliminates the need for three hands.

There was another post up a couple days back about Randy Redmans relining, He did my broom a few years ago ( I kept it in 7.63) It's been reliable and really accurate, A great job in my H.O.

Willy B'

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot an early commercial Broom (and a Luger too) in our local Wild Bunch (we call it Turn-of-the-Century) match. I close the bolt over five rounds, and load off a stripper clip. This is slow, real slow, but very amusing. I have to remind myself to use a lot of care shooting this pistol on the clock - these are not forgiving pistols and thing can go wrong easily. The mags are hidden and not removable, they are hard to unload, the triggers tend to be touchy, and the guns can be a bit fragile and persnickety. Ya just have to pay attention.

Our club has been working with various antique auto pistols for awhile now, so the RO's are pretty well used to them. Safety is number one. The idea is to shoot safely and have fun - if just you want to go fast, go back to revolvers.

RR

Utah Bob -

Ye of little faith ! ! !

A broomhandle concealed carry holster, with 4 loaded stripper clips to balance it out.

The holster was originally a WW II Army Air Corp shoulder holster for the revolver carried by some pilots - the broom is a perfect fit with minimal modifications [mostly to the straps].

VERY concealable.

TULL

Holy Crap! That's like some firepower! Somebody put some thought into that rig.

The tips are out there, so I'll branch off onto a bit of Broomhandle trivia. Did you know the "blaster pistols" used in the Star Wars movies were old Broomhandles with a funnel taped onto the muzzle and painted black? Yep. High tech, huh?

May the force be with you :)

As Dubious Don explains there is not much pressure on the spring.

Once the bolt has been closed over an empty chamber with the hammer down, the spotter/RO at the loading table can double check and easily move the bolt backwards against the pressure of the hammer spring = not cocking the hammer (!) like a few mm's, and will see that the chamber is empty.

I love shooting those broomhandles.

Long Johns Wolf

One of my local clubs - the Lincoln County Lawmen - has been doing a Wild Bunch Match for years prior to SASS OKing it and making up the rules. Brooms and Lugers were always allowed.

I just happen to have the wooden holster/shoulder stock and used it as my rifle on a few stages. IF you do this do NOT wrap your thumb around the grip like you would if you were shooting it as a pistol. It's a painful experience. Course I was dumb enough to forget it on both stages. :rolleyes:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

The perfect concealment for a loaded broomhandle....

Broom Handle

Now a mophandle would be even easier... specially if it were wet.

ts

Utah Bob -

Ye of little faith ! ! !

VERY concealable.

TULL

Far out!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I just happen to have the wooden holster/shoulder stock and used it as my rifle on a few stages. IF you do this do NOT wrap your thumb around the grip like you would if you were shooting it as a pistol. It's a painful experience. Course I was dumb enough to forget it on both stages. :rolleyes:

Wish I knew this a couple of months ago when I first tried my stock! My thumb knuckle(?) was sore for a week or more! :angry:

I let a few others shoot it and watched them closely to remind them of this issue.

Good tips. Now how about suggestions for holsters for concealed carry.

Sorry, couldn't hep myself. :lol:

Caryy it Han Solo style open holster on the hip blasting anybody that looks Imperial. :ph34r:

I believe this thread has benn hijacked. :ph34r:

At a couple of clubs where I have seen them used at Wild Bunch shoots, pards just loaded five, and closed the bolt on an empty chamber. Most then used a second gun for their second five shots. In fact, all of them did. Never saw anyone reload it. In fact, most everyone uses 2 guns anyway at WB shoots around here.

And, usually, the rifle string was nine rounds to make allowances for anyone using a Broomhandle with a shouldstock holster as the rifle. :)

Or, if it was a 10 round rifle string, they'd still load nine, and then just stuff 1 round in the chamber. Worked out okay.

I had one of the Navy Arms imports in 9mm with the detachable magazine. Had a couple of extra magazines too. No "wild bunch" matches then so traded it for a Steyr SSG with a Kahles scope on it. Still think I got the better part of the deal.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Carrying a loaded broomhandle

Also remember... you got to be real careful... and not overload yore broomhandle...

Overloaded Broomhandle

(joshin'!!!... do not respond in a political way... I DIDN'T MEAN 'NOTHIN BY IT!)

ts

Concealable Broomhandle w/Stock Attached

Z.W. -

Thanks for the kind words.

Here is another rig I made - the pistol can be shot while in the holster - either with or without the stock attached, and carries an extra loaded stripper clip.

Though to be concealable, one must wear a 'long rider' type duster - or some type of coat that is at least 8 inches longer than the sleeve cuffs.

Am just finishing up a 'quick draw' wood holster - like the one used in "The Great Silence", and will post photos when completed.

Tull

Archived