SASS Wire Forum

Anybody Shoot Alchimistas?

Bart Solo

I am in the market for new 357 main match revolvers. I have been thinking about SASS Rugers (tuned or untuned) because I have Rugers in 45 right now and love them. I have been looking at EMF Alchimistas as an alternative. They sure are pretty. How do they shoot?

I don't know anybody who shoots Alchimistas so I haven't been able to hold one. I have large hands but stubby fingers.

Just pick up a cap and ball 1860 Army. Same grip. If you have big hands and like the 1860 Army grip you will like the gun. As far as "How do they shoot?" Has does a Chevy drive? Entirely subjective. It's just a Single Action Army with the 1860 Army grip. Shoots like any other Colt/clone except it has bigger grips.

By how do they shoot, I am more interested in reliability, smoothness of action and whether additional gunsmithing work is necessary? Do they shoot to point of aim, or do you need to trim the front sight?

By how do they shoot, I am more interested in reliability, smoothness of action and whether additional gunsmithing work is necessary? Do they shoot to point of aim, or do you need to trim the front sight?

They are Great Western II's with a different grip. They are very well made and are pretty good out of the box. ANY factory gun can be improved with an action job, but the GW II's are pretty nice out of the box. The only way to determine if a fixed sight gun shoots to YOUR point of aim is to shoot it with YOUR loads and using the shooting style you are using. (Two handed, duelist.) Sight picture, bullet weight and velocity all affect POA/POI. Suffice it to say that lots of people shoot GWII's are they are fine guns.

Old Tops

Here is Old Top's homemade Alchimesta. He got a pair of GWs a couple of years before the Alchimesta came out. We got Debbie to order 1860 grips and strap and here is what came out.

But there is more to it than just that. First off it has a much wider trigger (and Top is trying to score one) and that trigger is centered in the frame. Then all the innard parts have been smoothed. All I can say is that the action is smoother than a pig rollerskating on glass....

Great gun (no pun intended)

curley

I have been shooting my pair of Alchimistas since last September. I got them from Jack Diamond (at Founders Ranch). They were both smooth out of the box and shoot to point of aim (at 10 yds anyway). No gunsmithing needed. I filed one very small burr on the frame (took about 5 seconds) but really could have left it alone. Color was slightly different between the two, but really, who cares. After shooting them I never noticed the small color delta again.

I have large hands as well as nerve damage from CTS. I have found the large grip of the Alchimista to be perfect for me (all three fingers fit on the grip, not one below it).

Prior to switching to the Alchimista I was shooting USFA 38's (from Long Hunter). Very nice guns. However, my times have gotten faster with the Alchimistas and have far fewer misses. I suspect that is due to the better grip (and more confidence in my grip). No matter the reason they are (for me) as fast or faster than the LH USFA 38's.

Archived