SASS Wire Forum

Josey Wales Question

Joey Smiles SASS 72290

Howdy, Pards!

The first shoot for 2011 is coming up at CASS (Largent, WV). I'm hoping for at least three shooters to shoot Josey Wales style (all pistols) on the 4th Sunday this month. Is there any reason (safety, rules, custom, fairness, etc.) that all pistols cannot be carried in leather, but some must be staged on tables, barrels, stools, or the like when shooting a stage as Josey Wales? I mean, I don't recall Josey setting down any of his iron before a fight.

Thanks in advance,

The Outlaw Joey Smiles

Howdy JS,

You'll need to contact the Match Director for that venue.

This question came up at the 2009 TG Summit...SASS rules prohibit carrying more than 2 "main match" revolvers to the line.

As "Josey Wales" is NOT an 'officially recognized' SASS category, the regulations/restrictions will vary depending on where it is being offered.

Rgds,

PWB

Howdy, Pards!

The first shoot for 2011 is coming up at CASS (Largent, WV). I'm hoping for at least three shooters to shoot Josey Wales style (all pistols) on the 4th Sunday this month. Is there any reason (safety, rules, custom, fairness, etc.) that all pistols cannot be carried in leather, but some must be staged on tables, barrels, stools, or the like when shooting a stage as Josey Wales? I mean, I don't recall Josey setting down any of his iron before a fight.

Thanks in advance,

The Outlaw Joey Smiles

Few people have the leather to carry 4 pistols and neither did Josie Wales, who stuffed his in his belt. Josie also broke the 170 rule pretty much all the time and we can't have that a match. It's safer to stage the extra pistols.

Pawnee Station has special categories on the 5th Saturday matches. They have a "postolero" catagory that is basically Josey Wales.

Here are the details on that...

Pistolero Category (P/LP) requirements-

· Four (4) SASS legal main match pistols (may be shot 2-handed, duelist, or gunfighter style)

· All pistols will be holstered. Any SASS legal holsters are allowed.

· SASS rule exemptions: Pistolero shooters may have more than 1 pistol on each side of their belly button.

· Pistolero shooters need not have 2 fists width between holsters

· Any SASS legal main match shotgun will be used.

· No rifle will be used; 2 additional pistols will be shot in substitution of the rifle.

Few people have the leather to carry 4 pistols and neither did Josie Wales, who stuffed his in his belt. Josie also broke the 170 rule pretty much all the time and we can't have that a match. It's safer to stage the extra pistols.

Well, I can sure appreciate the safety criteria and the 170-degree rule, but I have a double strong-side buscadero holster rig for my two Open Tops and a double Huckleberry for my two OMV Ruger birdheads carried butt facing backwards, not crossdraw. Plus, an American .45LC/.410 2-shot derringer for the shotgun targets.

I figure I'm pretty safe, especially since the derringer will be unloaded and open, just like a double barreled shotgun.

TOJS

Pawnee Station has special categories on the 5th Saturday matches. They have a "postolero" catagory that is basically Josey Wales.

Here are the details on that...

Pistolero Category (P/LP) requirements-

· Four (4) SASS legal main match pistols (may be shot 2-handed, duelist, or gunfighter style)

· All pistols will be holstered. Any SASS legal holsters are allowed.

· SASS rule exemptions: Pistolero shooters may have more than 1 pistol on each side of their belly button.

· Pistolero shooters need not have 2 fists width between holsters

· Any SASS legal main match shotgun will be used.

· No rifle will be used; 2 additional pistols will be shot in substitution of the rifle.

Thanks, sure sounds like Josey Wales to me, no matter what it's called! ('Cept for the shotgun, of course!)

TOJS

Joey:

I've shot JW with 4 pistols and a shotgun & I've shot it with 5 pistols.

I've shot it with 4 holstered pistols & I've shot it with 2 holstered & the rest staged.

It's all about safety, not being like Clint was in the movie.

SASS has reasons for its rules.

But since JW is not an official category, each match director has his/her own restrictions, based on their experience.

Requiring that you stage your rifle-pistols and your shotgun-pistols is not unreasonable IMHO

I know you say, "I figure I'm pretty safe", but it's not up to you, it's up to the match director.

--Dawg

Heee Haaa Joey.. I too have shot Josey Wales at different clubs.. Most clubs Shoot one handed.. I watched P.Dawg shoot 5 pistols at Possum Trot So he'd be the the man to ask. :unsure: I might also add He did A Fine Job too..

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Joey:

I've shot JW with 4 pistols and a shotgun & I've shot it with 5 pistols.

I've shot it with 4 holstered pistols & I've shot it with 2 holstered & the rest staged.

It's all about safety, not being like Clint was in the movie.

SASS has reasons for its rules.

But since JW is not an official category, each match director has his/her own restrictions, based on their experience.

Requiring that you stage your rifle-pistols and your shotgun-pistols is not unreasonable IMHO

I know you say, "I figure I'm pretty safe", but it's not up to you, it's up to the match director.

--Dawg

I said pretty safe with regard to the derringer (open and unloaded).

Pistols are totally enclosed in leather, carried on opposite sides, in two separate rigs.

Like tyou say, it's up to the Match Director or Posse Leader.

Thanks,

TOJS

When I shot Jossie Wales I had all four pistol on my body. I used my regular gunfighter rig with drop loop holsters for my pistols that I used on the pistol targets.For the other two I added a basic leather belt with one set up for a cross draw and the other one a standard straight drop. They were set up above my regular belt and slightly forward of the other holsters. I did this mainly to carry them around all day and staged the ones used as rifles when I got on the stage. Believe me after carring around 4 full size Ruger pistols all day your body knows something is different.I wouldn't want to try and move very fast with all 4 strapped on me. When the day is over and you get to take them off you feel like you could fly!

We had a JW category at one of our monthlies this past year. Some shooters staged the 2nd set of pistols, others carried all 4 in leather. One item that was noticed was that some shooters did not remember which pistols had already been shot, so they drew empty pistols,( click,click ), as the spotters were yelling " Try loaded pistols "! :lol::lol::lol: Maybe staging the 2 pistols to be used for the rifle part of the sequence is not such a bad idea. Go with what works for your group. Yours Nota John

Archived