SASS Wire Forum

Question about fallout

Red Logan #12252

the news media is big about screaming,"RADIATION LEVELS ARE 1000 TIMES NORMAL!!"

Remember that radiation is measured in such tiny amounts that even at many times "normal" it's still miniscule. You get more from X-rays, cell phones and your computer monitor.

Great... now I'm scared of my cell phone and computer.

It is them cell phones. They is killers.

But, and there is always a but, ya never heard of anybody getting kilt by one in the 1880's.

Wonder why that is?

The buffaloes kept knocking over the cell towers... :rolleyes:

Putting it in perspective

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The kind of radiation that comes from nuclear reactor is called ionizing radiation and scientists say we are exposed to some of that kind of radiation every day.

It comes from the space and soil, and it’s even in our bodies.

It’s measured in Millirems.

“We get about 300 millirems a year, or roughly one millirem a day,” said Dr. Marvin Goldman a nuclear biologist.

So how many Millirems of radiation is too many?

“The risks start at 10,000 millirems and up,” said Dr. Goldman. “And when we are talking about acute radiation sickness which is going to be lethal, you are talking about millions of millirems.

As for how much radiation is coming from the damaged reactors in Japan, Dr. Goldman says it’s so minute that its not measured in millirems.

“it’s not even microrems, it’s a few atoms, and our very sensitive detectors will actually probably be able to detect a few of those atoms,” said Dr. Goldman.

He adds that small amount of radiation is not harmful to humans.

Now, we gotta take what Dr. Goldman says with a grain of salt, he is obviously a know-nothing quack:

Short Biography

Marvin Goldman was born in New York, New York on May 2, 1928. He received his B.A. in Biology from Adelphi University in 1949, his M.S. in Zoology-Physiology from the University of Maryland, and his Ph.D. in Radiation Biology from the University of Rochester in 1957. In 1951, Goldman began his career working at the Nevada Test Site on the Buster-Jangle Series to determine the inhalation pathway in animals of hazards from fallout of nuclear weapons tests. That same year, he detected the first "hot particle" of plutonium in lung tissue. Subsequent to his work at the Nevada Test Site, he completed his Ph.D. at the University of Rochester, where he studied under Dr. Newell Stannard.

In 1958 Goldman began working for the University of California, Davis (UC Davis), where he embarked upon the long-term project of determining the effects of low-level, chronic exposure to strontium-90 (one of the main by- products of nuclear fallout) in beagles. In 1966 Dr. Goldman became the Associate Director for Science at UC Davis, and in 1973 he became the Director of the Davis Radiobiology Laboratory. Currently Dr. Goldman is at UC Davis, where he is a professor of Radiobiology in both the Department of Radiology, School of Medicine and the Department of Radiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine.

During his career, Dr. Goldman has been the recipient of a number of awards:

* Patent: x-ray Fluorometric Matrix Correction, 1968

* The E.O. Lawrence Memorial Award, presented by the Atomic Energy Commission in 1972

* Citation from ERDA for contributions to the Voyager Space Program, 1977

* Distinguished Scientific Achievement Award, Health Physics Society, 1988

He has served on two committees of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) to assess the risk from radioactive materials: the Ad Hoc Committee on Hot Particles and the "BEIR IV" Committee (also known as the National Research Council Committee on the Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation).

Dr. Goldman has published many times on the effects of radiation on biology systems, including long-term effects of strontium-90 and radium-226; hot particles; the effects of fossil-fuel effluents; biomedical models for risk assessment; toxicity of organophosphate agents; whole-body counting and gamma ray spectrometry; thermoluminescent dosimetry; and radiation effects on cells.

Putting it in perspective

Now, we gotta take what Dr. Goldman says with a grain of salt, he is obviously a know-nothing quack:

Wow. Is he impotent too? :blink:

Okie thinks I am impotent. Don't cha Okie?

I got credentials too. :)

GREAT. I always wanted to be an impotent person.

Maybe I should start dressing like a phos....phso.....ph...smart feller. :rolleyes:

Wear a top hat and long overcoat with a walking stick :mellow:

You not going to be impotent! You can continue to poke fun, just nobody will take you serious.

I falled out of the top bunk at summer camp once, zat what yer talkin about? Slept thru the whole thing, they woke me up asking if I was ok.

Waz that last week??????

While it won't be an airborne threat to us, there is the potential damage to the food supply in that area that we eat. It is thick over there, and it has rained and snowed this week over there, and rain and snow clean out the pollutions and send them to the oceans where the fish we eat live, some of which are eaten by other fish we eat. At 3 mile island they said little airborne threat resulted but deer in the area did have a higher level of radiation in them for a while. Be glad it is not like Chernobyl. Years later they still found game with high radiation levels in Germany, a good bit away.

• 2 weeks later...

While it won't be an airborne threat to us, there is the potential damage to the food supply in that area that we eat. It is thick over there, and it has rained and snowed this week over there, and rain and snow clean out the pollutions and send them to the oceans where the fish we eat live, some of which are eaten by other fish we eat. At 3 mile island they said little airborne threat resulted but deer in the area did have a higher level of radiation in them for a while. Be glad it is not like Chernobyl. Years later they still found game with high radiation levels in Germany, a good bit away.

I am sure that there will be higher levels of radiation in our food supply. One can measure extremely small ammounts of radiation. If measured radiation goes from 0.00000000001 to 0.00000000009 the ammount of radiation is 9 times greater, but if the level at which it presents a hazard is 0.01 the increased level in our food supply is still not a threat. And remember that from the time of creation, all living things on the earth have been exposed to radiation. If we could not tolerate a certain ammount, we would be extinct.

It is very heartening to realize that some obsolete reactors of a very crummy design were hit by an event never anticipated by their designers and have not had a catastrophic failure.

Archived