SASS Wire Forum

Cross draw question

Grizzly Dave

For those who use a straight hang strong side and a cross draw, do you always draw the cross first so that you can reholster it with your weak hand while you draw the strong side revolver? Or are there cases due to shooting sequence or gun order where you do it differently?

Grizz

For those who use a straight hang strong side and a cross draw, do you always draw the cross first so that you can reholster it with your weak hand while you draw the strong side revolver? Or are there cases due to shooting sequence or gun order where you do it differently?

Grizz

I always do it that way. I can't think of any situation where it would be advantageous to draw the strong side gun first. If a stage starts with hands on guns, I put my stong hand on the cross draw gun and my other hand across my body touching the strong side gun. It's kind of an awkward position, but it works. Plus, I'd have to think too hard to try to do it a different way for a particular situation; it would probably result in trying to shove two guns into one holster...

Grizz

That is what I do now! No matter the "advantage".

What passes for my brain cannot hold on to the thought when I try to do it differently, so I would draw an empty or otherwise make a mess of it.

Olen (easily confused) Rugged

Back when I first started shooting SASS I shot in the Duelist cat. with a crossdraw holster. I always made myself shoot my cross draw first mainly so I would not forget witch gun to pull next after a split stage. I also like to stand with my left foot a little ahaed of my right foot witch puts me in the correct position to pull my cross draw pistol. Now that I shoot GF most of the time I still always start with my left hand after pulling both pistols. The only time that changes is if the targets that I will be shooting with my left hand are considerably smaller or farther away then those I would be shooting at with my right hand. I do this for the same reason, so I don't pull an empty pisol on a split stage if I have to holster it. If I can set both pistols down on a split stage then I always know witch gun to start with when I pick them back up.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

If the stage starts with pistol I turn and stand with my cross draw on the down range side (no cross draw dance that way). If I am moving to the right to the pistol position I pull the cross draw first. If I am moving to my left to a pistol position I pull my strong side gun firsr.

For those who use a straight hang strong side and a cross draw, do you always draw the cross first so that you can reholster it with your weak hand while you draw the strong side revolver?

I always do it that way. I can't think of any situation where it would be advantageous to draw the strong side gun first.

Well, boys, some of us don't particularly feel the need to be pulling one gun while still putting the other one away. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you are shooting Frontier Cartridge Duelist like me. Not much point in bringing the other gun out too fast, it usually takes a few seconds for the smoke to blow away so I can see the next pistol's targets anyway. It's not always about shooting fast you know, some things are more important.

I don't much like the idea of yanking one pistol while trying to put the other one away. Too much opportunity to drop a pistol, I have seen it happen or almost happen plenty of times. I like to take the time to actually look at the holster I am shoving a pistol into, don't like to do it by feel. Then once that pistol is safely holstered I turn my attention to the next one.

If the scenario calls for starting out with pistols standing straight on to the targets, I will almost always pull my strongside 4 3/4" Colt first. If the scenario calls for motion, then it depends on which way I'm traveling. If I'm traveling from left to right, the cross draw pistol is already down range, so that is the one I pull first. If the direction of travel is from right to left, the straight draw gun comes up first.

Since my cross draw pistol is s 7 1/2" Colt, I usually draw it second. It takes a little bit more time to pull a long barreled pistol from cross draw, so I usually save it for second.

Now what's this stuff about a dance?

Howdy Dave,

Here's a situation, that you can draw cross second and have an advantage, start in front of first set of pistol targets, draw right strong side, shoot holster move right to second set of pistol targets, also rifle is staged at this position is next after second pistol, draw cross draw engage pistol targets put pistol away with weak hand and as you doing that grab rifle with right and get ready to engage rifle targets.

KK

...........put pistol away with weak hand and as you doing that grab rifle with right and get ready to engage rifle targets.

Man, that's way too much for my little pee brain to attempt. I would be sure to drop something. No thanks, I'll keep pulling them and putting them away one at a time.

Lots of different ways to enjoy the game.

Thinking it thru I could see that it might be advantageous to shoot the cross second depending on movement and transitions, as has been mentioned above. Was just curious to see how many folks did it. Now me, I'm too fat and short armed to use a cross draw, but I just bought a used rig for my boy that has one.

Grizz

Used to use a cross draw (double muzzle forward crotch rocket). My transitions seemed a little rough to me so now I use a double straight hang setup. I have seen some very good shooters put both pistols away with the weak hand, which leaves the strong hand free to grab long guns. They usually grab the crossdraw first regardless of which direction they may be taking off to.

Also the double muzzle forward would occasionally slide to close together (no two fist between holsters) which caused comment/grief. Don't know if that requirement still holds as I don't shoot the cross draw any more.

One of many things I can't seem to master so I stick with my current outfit. :unsure:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Used to use a cross draw (double muzzle forward crotch rocket). My transitions seemed a little rough to me so now I use a double straight hang setup. I have seen some very good shooters put both pistols away with the weak hand, which leaves the strong hand free to grab long guns. They usually grab the crossdraw first regardless of which direction they may be taking off to.

Also the double muzzle forward would occasionally slide to close together (no two fist between holsters) which caused comment/grief. Don't know if that requirement still holds as I don't shoot the cross draw any more.

One of many things I can't seem to master so I stick with my current outfit. :unsure:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Some of the newer rigs have taken care of the moving holster problem with a mechanism that holds them in place. I haven't received it yet but my Mernickle Evil Roy rig is supposed to have that issue taken care of. The system is supposed to allow you to position and reposition as needed too and I think Long Hunters systems also work in this manner.

Well, boys, some of us don't particularly feel the need to be pulling one gun while still putting the other one away. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you are shooting Frontier Cartridge Duelist like me. Not much point in bringing the other gun out too fast, it usually takes a few seconds for the smoke to blow away so I can see the next pistol's targets anyway. It's not always about shooting fast you know, some things are more important.

I don't much like the idea of yanking one pistol while trying to put the other one away. Too much opportunity to drop a pistol, I have seen it happen or almost happen plenty of times. I like to take the time to actually look at the holster I am shoving a pistol into, don't like to do it by feel. Then once that pistol is safely holstered I turn my attention to the next one. If the scenario calls for starting out with pistols standing straight on to the targets, I will almost always pull my strongside 4 3/4" Colt first. If the scenario calls for motion, then it depends on which way I'm traveling. If I'm traveling from left to right, the cross draw pistol is already down range, so that is the one I pull first. If the direction of travel is from right to left, the straight draw gun comes up first.

Since my cross draw pistol is s 7 1/2" Colt, I usually draw it second. It takes a little bit more time to pull a long barreled pistol from cross draw, so I usually save it for second.

Now what's this stuff about a dance?

I'm with you. I "watch" my gun back into the houlster, cross draw OR strong side.

I always pull crossdraw first. If the rifle and pistols are to be shot from same location, and rifle is staged there, I will pull crossdraw and fire, holster with left hand as I'm pulling strongside with right hand. Fire strongside and re-holster with LEFT HAND as right hand is grabbing rifle. Keep those holsters out on the front of your legs.

Keep those holsters out on the front of your legs.

Why? I always thought that looks really dumb. I keep my holsters on my sides where they belong. Crossdraw too.

Cross draw first, putting it away as you draw from strong side is probably the shortest time between revolvers on a ten shot string. There is also the consideration of what gun is next and what movement, this may determine what hands you would "like" to have free to grab the next gun.

On a split revolver stage you may want to switch it up depending on movement and what gun is next. If you can be reaching for the next gun whilst putting one away, this will save time.

Tis true that doing things the same way is good. (KISS principle) But a competitor always looks for ways to turn things to his or her advantage and move just a bit faster than the competition! It sure feels good when you try something new and it works!

Strong side first, then the crossdraw, regardless if there's motion and split pistols or not.

Tried the "I'm moving thisaway so I'll draw that pistol first" technique, until on one stage I drew my first pistol, fired, reholstered, and moved to the rifle part of the stage. Next part was 2nd pistol. I drew, cocked, aimed, and *click*. Pulled the empty revolver. Took a moment to realize what had happened, and the clock was running. Rats!

Doing the pivot to avoid the 170 rule takes a whole lot less time.

Grizz

As someone who wants to do things as efficiently as possible for me,the only time I will draw strong side first if is theres two things long guns in between pistols and theres stage movement from right to left(I'm a righty)so say stage has you shoot 1st pistol then move to left to a long gun/s this free me up to holster on the move and not have to move backwards,any other time I always shoot cross draw 1st and holster with weak hand.

Dunno. I flung my crossdraw holster away years ago. :lol:

Grizz,

If you watch Kiowa next time we are together he keeps his crossdraw in front so that he does not have to do "the dance" his guns are already not going to break the 170 thast is also part of how he stands.

Painted Filly

Filly, you coming up to Pawnee Station Saturday or staying down south?

I figure I'll instruct my boy to just always pull the cross first until he's comfortable enough with the game to make his own determination.

I usually pull my crossdraw 1st.Unless the movement dictates it safer to do the strong side 1st.What I did change was to use my straight hang strong side holster for my crossdraw and vice versa.My now crossdraw is easier to pull my 7 1/2 inch open top and elimininate the "dance" as a lot of people refer to it as.I have problems with my shoulders especially if it's cooler weather and it's just easier for me to pull that 5 1/2 inch open top out of my "was" crossdraw holster.What I should do is buy a Buscadero(sp) strong side and go back to using my crossdraw as a crossdraw.

Grizz

It depends.

I try to think about what I'm doing, and assess the scenario to see which will work best for me.

I like shooting the cross draw gun first, so that I can re-holster with the left hand while drawing second

pistol from the strong side. If the scenario ends with pistols, or if there is movement between second pistol

and retrieving a long gun that works fine for me.

This rig was purchased for that reason, and for style of course . . . crossdraw!

If the scenario has me picking up a long gun right there where I stand with the second pistol, I prefer to have shot strong side first, then cross-draw,

and holstering while right hand is reaching for the long gun. I look the gun muzzle into the holster, then move eyes to the next gun, till I see finger

contact, then I move eye contact to acquire the target while mounting the long gun. I move as fast as my eyes will let me, and I keep trying to make

them move faster!

I'd like to be faster, and will be, right now I just watch the fast guys, and try and learn. I've seen the two gun forward tilted rigs, they're neat,

but the don't feel right to me, so I go with the Hollywood classics . . . . .

One of these days I'm going to put a whole summer into learning to shoot holding the gun in either hand as the dominant hand, and the other being the

thumb cocking hand, truly ambidextrous. I think I should be able to draw with either hand and shoot accurately with just that hand, so I need to get there.

I hate handing a gun off from hand to hand, but at least cross draw feels the most safe for faster gun handling.

That's what works for me - no warranty is expressed or implied . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Hey Dave

Question: So if you draw your strong side first (right pistol)........which hand do you use to holster it with....???

Then you have to draw your crossdraw (left pistol)..........and which hand do you draw that one with...???

So what is you left hand doing....???

Think about it...........

I always go left hand pistol first (cross draw).......reholster it with left hand while drawing right pistol with right hand...

Some folks are trying to convince me to do double strong side and shoot duoble duelist......not sure I am ready for that..... ;)

Course some wasy is faster for some than it is for others.....

be well......Wolf

As someone who wants to do things as efficiently as possible for me,the only time I will draw strong side first if is theres two things long guns in between pistols and theres stage movement from right to left(I'm a righty)so say stage has you shoot 1st pistol then move to left to a long gun/s this free me up to holster on the move and not have to move backwards,any other time I always shoot cross draw 1st and holster with weak hand.

I don't shoot x-draw.

For the same reason as you Grizz. :lol:

But if I did. This is how I would do it.

Why? I always thought that looks really dumb. I keep my holsters on my sides where they belong. Crossdraw too.

I keep my crossdraw in front of my left hip and my strong side behind my right hip ala John Wayne. Sounds weird I know but it works for me

When I shot cross draw, I ALWAYS pulled the left pistol first, Holster with the weak hand (watching the gun into the holster) while drawing the strong side. Efficiency is the best way to shave time. After practice, things smooth out and you make better transitions. With split pistols, you never need to think about which one to pull next.

CR

Grizz

Always depends on scenario. I usually try to draw from cross (right handed, from left side) when something has already caused me to turn slightly to the right... e.g., movement to the right, staging a long gun on my rigt side, etc. Another option is as first handgun, when scenario allows a beginning stance facing slightly to the right. When those options aren't available, it just depends on feng shui :)

-Chris

I draw the strong side first. I do this since on a normal day outside of CAS my gun is on my strong side and I want it in my muscle memory to always reach on that side and not reach across to the weak side and nothing be there. When I shoot the 1897 shotgun I load 2 and then fire and load 2 more in the magazine. It is slower for CAS but who loads one round at a time outside of CAS? I try to shoot CAS based on what I would do on a normal day.

I have heard people use the term cross-draw dance since I became a member of SASS. I have yet to see anything that was or is a dance. The cross-draw is performed by body stance and not a dance. As far as the wearing of the holster in the front on your leg that is not as it was done although many pards do so. Some very fast pards wear them almost touching. The cross-draw was from all the old pictures I have seen worn on the off hand side in the same area as a standard holster. I think that Doc Holiday had one shoulder rig that carried the revolver low at the waist for a faster sitting draw.

Archived