SASS Wire Forum

Ladies Day at the Range

Saturday was "Ladies Day at the Range" for the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club in Orlando, FL. It is an annual event that my wife has been heading up for several years now. Just about every shooting discipline imaginable was represented....everything from Air Rifles to High Power was there including muzzleloaders and archery.

The goal was to provide a stress free safe environment (no men allowed on the firing line except for instructors) for ladies to come and experience shooting in general. Many of them have never shot a gun before. It is a really awesome event and very rewarding to help provide instruction to these ladies.

This year was the largest attendance number ever.....381.....Ladies came out to play.....I can't say for sure but based on what I've heard this was one of the largest Ladies Only events in the country...if not the largest.

I was on the Cowboy Action Stage with Colonel Dan, Greta Dee, Brucester Diamond, Black Diamond Doug, and Conway Kid. Of course not everyone came to the cowboy stage but we did go through close to 1500 rounds of rifle/pistol ammo and well over a case of shotgun shells. We gave the ladies the opportunity to fire pistol, rifle and shotgun. It was non stop from just before 10am to 4pm. I looked back during the peak and there were 15 to 20 ladies in the pistol line and in the rifle line. Doug's wife, Salsa Sureshot, was on the Trap/Shotgun range and had the ladies cheering as no one walked away without breaking at least one bird.

If your any club ever asks for volunteers with any kind of event such as this do yourself a favor and say YES......Not many things are as gratifying as helping someone experience the firing of a firearm for the first time.

I am truly impressed with the job Sweetheart did in organizing this event.....she had help for sure.....but she definitely put her heart into it and it showed. I am very glad I got to be a part of it.

Stan

Wow, that's alot of ladies. I'm sure that most went home with a new appreciation of firearms and shooting sports. Sounds like a big congratulations is in order for all that volunteered their time, ammo and guns.

Way to go everyone involved. B)

That's quite a turnout Stan. I volunteered for 3 such events at the Gateway range a few years ago. I think the biggest draw was around 100 with about 50 trying the cowboy range. Everyone of them said they liked the cowboy shooting the most. They mostly said the high power rifles and full load pistol hurt too much and the cowboy stuff was easier to learn and enjoy!

It was a lot of fun.

Amen to what Stan said here!

The day was a tremendous success in every way...a day that started for Southpaw a year prior to the event. Her organization and leadership of the multitude of volunteers was stellar. I salute each and every volunteer member of the club and all the sponsors in the local area that contributed everything from ammunition to tote bags, eyes and ears!

Great job and a respectful salute to all...and to Southpaw..the biggest salute of all. What a job she did indeed! That's my little girl!

Archived