SASS Wire Forum

19th century coins

I just came into a small collection of 19th century coins, including 50 Morgan silver dollars, an 1865 3 cent piece, and some Barber halves and quarters. After a quick run through and some on-line resources, I don't think any of them have extraordinary value. A few of the Morgans look near-uncirculated, but for the most part, these are coins that have passed through hands.

Any ideas on how to use these creatively?

LL

I would creatively sell them on the classifieds. ;)

You could always give the profits to the memorial fund.

KEEP THEM!!! :blink:

The silver value as of today is 27.86 dollars each for the silver dollars alone! :unsure: THAT'S $1393.00! :blink:Coinflation value

DON'T GET RID OF THEM! :ph34r:

As Long Jim said:

KEEP THEM!

In a long-term crisis, like Japan is having now, silver coins will still be worth using, while paper may be worthless.

Food/water, guns/ammo + silver/gold = always valuable. ;)

I had a small collection similar to what you describe, I sold them off on ebay to raise money to buy my cowboy guns. Without them, I might still just be wishing and wanting.

That said, if you don't need the cash, I'd just keep them. If you want to do projects featuring period "coins" there are reproductions available on the cheap that you wouldn't have to worry about losing. At one time I had thoughts of setting an 1878 dollar in the stock on my hammered double, but never have gotten around to it.

I always have a Morgan or two in my pocket when I shoot for good luck.

Hasn't worked though.

(wonders how Bob manages to get a horse or two in his pocket)

You can't tell from my avatar but I am huge. Immense!

Hasn't worked though.

Exactly - even the Morgan coins knew there was a higher standard than 'luck' ~ after all, they do have 'In God We Trust' stamped right on 'em ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Use 'em for period pocket litter. I have a small deerskin pouch containing a few late 1870's/early 1880's Morgan dollars and a coupla early 1870's Mexican silver pesos. I keep it in a pocket of whatever vest I'm shooting in, and hook the drawstring through a buttonhole so I don't lose it.

Hasn't worked though.

Me too....

And dey work each and every time !

I STILL have not shot my foot off.............................

YET !! :lol:

Tell ya what....

Ifin' ya wanta git shed of couple dem Morgans, let me know, k? :unsure:

A pard gave me a Morgan silver dollar as an award for shooting my first five stage clean match. The criteria was the match had to be at least five stages and under 250 seconds. I charish that silver dollar.

If I were you, I would keep them..

If you decide to sell them however, I would be interested in buying some of them..Especially the Morgans, quarters, and the penny.

A lot of old coins are apparently being melted down for the silver content, a shame really..The historical value should count for a lot IMHO..No telling what those coins bought back in the day! :o

I like to carry some old coins in my vest pockets at shoots, along with some cathouse tokens..Don't seem to help my shootin' none either..Just feels good having them in my pocket! B)

All - thanks for all of the input.

You've convinced me...I'll hold 'em for a bit. I don't have a particular need right now, and I might as well let it ride.

Valuation seems very particular - a worn feather tip or a nearly invisible variation might heavily effect value. Will coin dealers or others appraise "ordinary" collections? Any idea of the cost?

Thanks again.

LL

Archived