SASS Wire Forum

Use of the word Sir.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Ya know Deuce to a person on this thread everyone seems to understand the use of the word "sir" is one of respect. Frankly, I can't imagine anyone including the unloading table officer you encountered that doesn't understand that. it seems to make more sense he was just joshin' you. It's very possible it was his way of joking with the greatest shooter he has ever seen. Don't sweat the small stuff, hope you're not really losin' sleep over this, just keep on usin' that word "sir". It sounds good comin' from you.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know Deuce to a person on this thread everyone seems to understand the use of the word "sir" is one of respect. Frankly, I can't imagine anyone including the unloading table officer you encountered that doesn't understand that. it seems to make more sense he was just joshin' you. It's very possible it was his way of joking with the greatest shooter he has ever seen. Don't sweat the small stuff, hope you're not really losin' sleep over this, just keep on usin' that word "sir". It sounds good comin' from you.

Nope not losing any sleep pard, I sleep as much as Mason let's me which is not a whole lot lately. hopefully we'll see ya at Deer Creek in a couple weeks.

When I was 17 and addressed as Sir it was a matter of Duty, and seemed strange at first ...

But Sir is not a wrong thing to say to any man, young or old ...

Jabez Cowboy

I was shooting the mini match at Witer Range and a older gentlemen cleared me at the unload table. Like I always do when done I said "Thank you Sir". Well he ripped me a new one telling me that he was no longer in the Military and to not call him sir. As I didn't know his alias I was only trying to do what my Mom and Dad taught me and be polite. Not being in the military ever I kinda would say that the rules don't apply to me, not to mention I have heard "Sir" and "Ma'am" used a million times over and over again. This is about the third time it's happened to me. So what's the deal? Usually I just don't call them anything for the rest of the match. Just kinda wanted to see what other folks' takes are on this were.

I have had that happen to me as well at matches. Being 44,I sometimes get shooters in the eary teens with no manners at all. I don't know what's worse, no manners at all or people getting bent for you using manners.

Thank you sir,

Hud McCoy

Both our son and daughter are in the military. When we attended their graduations from basic training, and then later as we spent more time with them and their friends, we were exposed to an over abundance of "sir" and "ma'am". Personally, I absolutely love hearing it - not just said to me but when hearing it said to others. Hearing it said to the cashier at the fast food restaurant to the officer they passed on the sidewalk....it didn't matter. It was uttered with the same amount of respect at all times. The use of manners is never wrong!

Don't change Deuce.

Archived