SASS Wire Forum

Use of the word Sir.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

I was shooting the mini match at Witer Range and a older gentlemen cleared me at the unload table. Like I always do when done I said "Thank you Sir". Well he ripped me a new one telling me that he was no longer in the Military and to not call him sir. As I didn't know his alias I was only trying to do what my Mom and Dad taught me and be polite. Not being in the military ever I kinda would say that the rules don't apply to me, not to mention I have heard "Sir" and "Ma'am" used a million times over and over again. This is about the third time it's happened to me. So what's the deal? Usually I just don't call them anything for the rest of the match. Just kinda wanted to see what other folks' takes are on this were.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sir and M'am were always acceptable (or sometimes required) the way I was raised. Guess Barbara Boxer changed all that.......... ;)

I still think it's a good idea and that's the way I raised my kids. (I knew THEY knew they were in the doghouse when they swithched to "Yes M'am" as I was chewing teenage a$$.)

Our young Swedish shooter Tombstone Terror Tim is obviously being raised that way, too. He's been on our posse the last two years at Winter Range.

"Is the shooter ready?"

"Yes, Sir!"

"Standby."

Getting mad because someone is being respectful and polite is lame.

Duece,

I was raised the same way and still say yes Sir and yes Mam, I use what he said as a joke with other Military folks. Keep using the good manners they are a lost art among the human race.

KK

I guess I wanted to see if I was missing the bigger picture. I have a ton of respect for our military and veterans and don't want to be disrepectful. But it is a two way street I guess.

Deuce...

Your manners are fine... keep it up...

If somebody has to jump you for saying "Thank You Sir" at the unloading table.. they've got the problem... not you..

Guess you could always just give him a big smile and in a happy tone say "Sorry.. ya didn't look like a Maam to me?" :lol: pick up your guns and walk away smilen'

Rance <_<

Deuce as an NCO in the Army when someone slipped and called me sir I used the standard NCO response..."Dont call me sir, I work for a living." Growing up the son of an USAF officer my siblings and I called EVERYONE sir, or maam. If you get the chance inquire of the gent what branch he served in and thank him for his service, any coolness will be quickly resolved.

The words "please, thank you, yes sir or yes mam" are just a repectful way to converse with people in my book.

In fact it's the way my children and grandchildren were brouht up.

More politeness in this crazy, fast paced world would be greatly appreciated.

Keep useing those words and maybe the old curmugen will get a clue.

Happy Trails,Coyote Kid

Nothing wrong with being polite and mannerly Deuce. It's a hallmark of being a gentleman and being raised properly.

The old crank at the ULT ... as my Aunt Kathleen would say of someone like that: "He's just common".

I was shooting the mini match at Witer Range and a older gentlemen cleared me at the unload table. Like I always do when done I said "Thank you Sir". Well he ripped me a new one telling me that he was no longer in the Military and to not call him sir. As I didn't know his alias I was only trying to do what my Mom and Dad taught me and be polite. Not being in the military ever I kinda would say that the rules don't apply to me, not to mention I have heard "Sir" and "Ma'am" used a million times over and over again. This is about the third time it's happened to me. So what's the deal? Usually I just don't call them anything for the rest of the match. Just kinda wanted to see what other folks' takes are on this were.

You were respectful. He was a putz. What more is there to say?

SQQ

He probably is a retired Lieutenant Colonel who got up on the wrong side of the bed or was shooting poorly. Do not be concerned by his rude behavior, your good manners certainly trumps his incorrigibly. Perhaps he was daydreaming and was caught off guard and engaged mouth before brain. One thing he was right about though, he has no authority and you do not have to call him “Sir”. It does sound like you did comply with his request, so it worked out.

A good measure of class, is treating people well, even when they DON'T deserve it. We have lowered our expectations as a society. We don't TEACH this stuff, and we don't REQUIRE it. I say WE as a collective society. We dress like slobs, wear hats indoors, don't hold doors open, or communicate well. It is not uncommon to get accosted for holding a door open or saying M'am to a woman. I've had women correct me by asking me to call them Dr. instead of Mrs. We are too far gone as a society, but still able to do the right thing as parents and individuals. You did the right thing regardless of how it was received.

Deuce...

Your manners are fine... keep it up...

If somebody has to jump you for saying "Thank You Sir" at the unloading table.. they've got the problem... not you..

Guess you could always just give him a big smile and in a happy tone say "Sorry.. ya didn't look like a Maam to me?" :lol: pick up your guns and walk away smilen'

Rance <_<

Ditto. (+1)

I sometimes get funny looks usin' "Maam" on too young of a lady...They'll be a Maam some day! Sooner than they hope to anyway.

I'll tell ya Duce old boy.

If I did not do that there would be 2 thuds..

1 when my Old Man hit me and #2 when I hit the floor!!

And I worked fir a living and at my age I like to be called that ;)

Just don't ever call me Mister :angry:

Ignore people like him. They are vexations of the spirit.

As I have gotten on in my years... :(

I encounter more instances where I'm referred to as sir.

While it tends to make me feel older, I don't retort in an angry manner.

I repect the politness with whom I'm conversing and jokingly ask to not call me sir as it makes me feel old... :blush:

They laugh and from that point on we're on a first name basis.

Just keep on doin what yewr doin. When a retired Colonel says he's no longer a "Sir", or a retired Gunny replies "I'm no Sir, I work for my lunch", that's their issue, not yours. I always thank the hard working folks at the tables for doing a good job, generally just that way, saying "Thank you Sir".

OMG! I call you "sir" Deuce. :o And you are half my age (and if you are thrice my age don't you dare say so)!

I believe that you were truly taken aback by this "gentleman's" unexpected outburst, but you just keep on being the great man that you are....as the other's have said he was probably having a bad day, or he was making a joke and just couldn't pull it off.

If you EVER see or hear Justin forgetting his maam's and sir's box his ears for me.

Deuce, we used to have a lot of good-natured banter in the military. I'd go out of my way to say, "Morning sir," to my top NCO, and he'd always reply, "Don't call me sir. I work for a living."

If this fellow said this with a wink or grin, that's one thing, but if he really ripped you a new one, then he is disrespectful and not worthy of your time or worries. I have come across a few people in SASS who are self-important and nasty, but the good folks in SASS far outweigh these few, which is why I play this game.

Good on you for not responding to him in kind...

Okie

You know Duece, I do the same thing and I thank the unloading officer when I am done clearing my guns too. I go so far as to thank the person bringing my brass to the table too. No one has ever said anything more to me than welcome. It's cowboy and it is the right thing to do. Courtesy is contagious so I do it away from the range too. I will hold a door open for someone as they approach too, doesn't even have to be a good lookin' gal neither. :)

Now in my line of work as a sort of customer service person when there is a beef about work or more commonly about the amount being charged, I am really on my toes to not be disrespectful and always say sir. I have even been recorded by one customer and when I heard the play back I was glad I did, because my supervisors clearly told me that I handled the situation well. I have so far lived through beatniks, hippies, punkers, gothies and whatever. I still believe their bad manners and rudeness can be counteracted with politeness and tolerance.

What I do not like is to be called boss, bud, pal and the like by folks that cannot take the time to either find out my name or use it in a catch all kind of way. Sir or ma'am works for me.

Don't let it bother you Duece. We have all heard about don't call me sir, I am a working man and all that from military, but in fact if you were an airdale in the Navy and everyone dressed the same and with no cap on because of FOD, it is hard to distinguish rank and officer from enlisted. Calling everyone sir, sill never get you in any kind of trouble and that is why I use it and I am glad you do too. Cowboys are chivalrous.

I too like to say "thank you sir/mam"....and yes even at unloading table. Hope I never have to posse with someone who would find it offensive such as your "gentleman". I would like to think he was just having a bad day, but then that is no excuse for his outbust either. Stay with it my friend, IMO good manners is a wonderful thing to have and to hear. bb

Howdy, Deuce -

Good thread, and I agree with all the replies. I'm the son of a career Air Force officer and I was raised to say yes sir, yes ma'am, please, thank you, etc. I still use those manners today, regardless of whom I am addressing. Sometimes I get a strange look when the recipient is young enough to be my child or grandchild, but that's just me and I make no apology for it.

As my mom used to tell me, there is no substitute for good manners!

Regards, TJH

Guest Mace Bishop

Deuce, I'm in my 60's and I still say "thank you sir" or "thank you maam". I say this to be polite and show appreciation for what they have done. I truly appreciate others deeds. It goes the other way too. When I return the brass to someone, check their guns at the unloading table, or help them return things to their cart and they say "thank you" it makes me feel good. This game is about people and treating them the way we would like to be treated.

You did the right thing and you should feel good about it.

Hope to see you at the U.S. Open.

Mace

What I do not like is to be called boss, bud, pal and the like by folks that cannot take the time to either find out my name or use it in a catch all kind of way. Sir or ma'am works for me.

How 'bout Sport, Slick, Chief or Bubba? :lol:

As a former U.S. Army lieutenant-colonel and former enlisted before that, I can testify that no officer who rose to field grade or above, did so without the excellent help and experience of his NCO's! Those officers may fool themselves into thinking so, but I can tell you stories where my butt was saved more than once by a good NCO, and at least twice in Vietnam. They truly are the backbone of the military services. Notwithstanding what others may feel, I have no regrets in calling them "sir" in the most respectful way just as I would anyone else. Good manners, kindness and respect are never wrong.

I'm just sayin. :rolleyes:

Major Payne :FlagAm:

If he is indeed a former NCO, it might be simply a conditioned response. He's been saying it so long that it came out before he could stop it. It took me nearly ten years to stop that type of reply myself.

Good thing ya did. Most civilians don't understand and it comes off as kinda rude.

Same thing with the "Don't thank me, that's my job" phrase. (I never did like that'n)

This guy was weird. He said he was no longer in the military which implied that he was called sir so he must have been commissioned. But I never met a retired colonel who minded being called sir. They're pretty used to it,.

This "older gentleman" is not a gentleman at all. A gentleman is never that rude.

I think the guy is just a jackass.

And I would never call a jackass Sir. ;)

He obviously wasn't from the South where use of "Sir" and "Madam" are a sign of proper upbringing.

Sir Deuce,

sounds like this feller was lookin for way to spout off to somebody.

Your politeness was correct.....his attitude was inappropriate and uncalled for.

If you had said: 'Thank you Kindly', he would have spouted off and said, 'My name ain't Kindly'.

There are those who do what they can in life to make others enjoy the day.

Then there are those who are miserable and are lookin to spread their contentious attitudes.

Just ignore em.

..........Sir Widder

Deuce

Was good shooting on the warm up posse with you Sir! - (and talking about our videos!)

And as ex USAF (nam era).......you Sir can use "Sir" anytime you want..it is always in good taste and considered proper.....and with that Sir I will bit you a good day Sir.... ;) ......regards..Wolf

Good thing ya did. Most civilians don't understand and it comes off as kinda rude.

Same thing with the "Don't thank me, that's my job" phrase. (I never did like that'n)

This guy was weird he said he was no longer in the military which implied that he was called sir so he must have been commissioned. But I never met a retired colonel who minded being called sir. They're pretty used to it,.

This "older gentleman" is not a gentleman at all. A gentleman is never that rude.

I think the guy is just a jackass.

And I would never call a jackass Sir. ;)

Amen

RRR

Archived