SASS Wire Forum

What did I Buy

Yul Catchum

Bought a small frame rolling block that doesn't match any of the pin and screw holes I can find for Remington's. Who else made rolling blocks and where can I find photos?

Only markings are a "T" inside a circle stamped on upper left outside of frame right near where extractor would be. And on lower tang behind the trigger guard there is a "J" and almost 1 inch further "650". No maker's infor or legend.

The barrel area is not threaded. The left side's 3holes all exit the right side of frame. The two that hold the hammer and breech block are set diagonal with rear most sitting directly above trigger and the next (forward)is 3/4 inch higher and 3/4 forward. Another pin hole that may be the lever for a takedown as it runs under the hole for the barrel.

On right side is an additional pin hole which does not go from side to side. It is below the barrel pin towards front of frame.

I have no picks but if anybody has an idea what it might be I can send them from my phone.

Paid $40 so it'll be hard to go wrong.

No and I thought that too but it does not have the under lever. It has solid trigger guard like remingtons.

Not too bad condition. If I can figure out what it is I might want to do a rebuild in a .22 LR.

Look at Whitney-Laidley Style I and Style II. (More like the Remington.) They made a gallery rifle in .22 rf short and long in the I and a lighter framed sporting rifle and carbine in the II. Not sure of the calibers in those, but I saw at least one in .44-40 that had been modified into a side lever by the factory to compete with the Remington-Hepburn. Too little, too late.

Archived