SASS Wire Forum

22lr Black Powder

Situation

My grandson (15 years old) and I are signed up for an all black powder match.

Loading up 12 Gauge shotgun loads with BP is no problem.

Question

2. Does anyone still make 22lr bullets in black powder or substitute ?
  3. Are there allowances for Buckaroos to shoot standard 22lr in pistols and rifles in such matches?

Thanks ...

Kid AtHeart

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I know you can wiggle them little slugs out and dump the powder.

But I don't reckon I'd try a kinetic "bullet knocker" for removing the bullets.

I'd be real careful about thin rimfire brass anywheres close to the rim. Too much grip might set off the priming compound.

I ain't too sure how you'd ever get the case mouths back round & shrunk down to chamber size. :o

MG

Zzyzx loads his own also. Lots of fun!

Does anyone still make 22lr bullets in black powder or substitute ?

Kid, sadly the answer is no. One has to reload the rounds themself. There are several of us black powder enthusiasts presently doing it now. Here is my present process while waiting for a custom 2 cavity mold cut on the dimensions of the original 40gr UMC bullet

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=165843&st=0&p=2137639&fromsearch=1entry2137639

You can do it with this approach:

* Pull bullets from currently made rounds. Wolf bullet hardness is Bhn 10 - pure lead

* Expand the cases with the Lee Universal Expander Die with the small plug

* Fill the case to the mouth with fines screened from FFFFg powder. That will be 4.5gr of the FFFFg fines

* Seat and crimp the cases with a modified Lyman H&I .225 die. If you want a 22LR seating die, call CH4D and ask for the owner, Dave Davidson. He made a small run about 5 years ago and I bought the last one. You will have to wait about 6 months for die and shell holder though

The shell holder is an issue. Read this thread how another BP enthusiast is doing it -

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28109&PN=1

But I don't reckon I'd try a kinetic "bullet knocker" for removing the bullets.

Mustang, this is how I presently pull the heads with no 'Booms'. Think about it, there is nothing on the collet that acts like a firing pin on the rim to ignite the primer compound. If you are thinking along the line of shock setting the compound off, that would apply to the Boxer primer compound in center fire cases too. Current 22LR rounds are lightly crimped. Takes 3 whacks on a lead ingot to dump the bullet

For the good of the order, how accurate are these BP 22LR rounds? With a scoped rifle, latest group is 3/8" at 50 yds

Situation

My grandson (15 years old) and I are signed up for an all black powder match.

Loading up 12 Gauge shotgun loads with BP is no problem.

Question

2. Does anyone still make 22lr bullets in black powder or substitute ?
  3. Are there allowances for Buckaroos to shoot standard 22lr in pistols and rifles in such matches?

Thanks ...

Kid AtHeart

Why not call whoever is putting on the match and ask?

Kid, tale a look at this. All you need to know to make your own BP loads.

LINK

Side note:

On a bet my Father Re-loaded a .22LR. He had to re-introduce primer compound to a fired case...he used the white tips off a Strike anywhere match.

He won the bet.

Check with the Match Director. He will be the one who ultimately makes the decision. Besides, you can't get enough black powder in a 22lr case to make the smoke factor so what would be the point other than the cool factor. Are you looking to take a second grandchild? A 15 year old would not be a buckaroo at any club I have shot at. SASS handbook pg. 13 "Juniors are persons aged 16 and under. The category may be subdivided by age and gender.

Suggested divisions are “Young Guns” aged 14 through 16 and “Buckaroos” 13 and under."

Indy

Archived