SASS Wire Forum

Floating Chamber

Doc Windshadow

I just finished putting my 1911 back to .45 ACP after a pleasant few hours plinking with its .22 rimfire ACE converter.

As I was cleaning the ACE I got to wondering about its clever floating chamber and the way the ACE 'feels' like a center fire pistol when you shoot it (much more recoil for example than my High Standard HD Military .22 with the same ammo).

did any other firearms use a floating chamber like the ACE? or was it a one of a kind item from Colt? Who invented the floating chamber?

just curious

Windy

<_< The "floating chamber" was a Colt exclusive and as far as I remember was only on the Ace. It was patented which has a 20 year run. No one else thought enough of it to buy rights or a licensing agreement. Time passed and manufacturers moved on.

Remington had a .22 auto rifle which used the floating chamber to make it function with both Shorts and Long Rifles. The chamber was longer than a Short, but shorter than a LR, and the recoil spring tuned for Shorts. The shorts would recoil with the chamber and work the bolt in the normal blowback mode. The LRs would stick out into the barrel proper, and the drag of pulling the front of the LR case out of the barrel would delay opening until the pressure went down enough to be safe.

I believe there was also a shotgun with a floating chamber (Winchester?), and possibly a military sub-caliber trainer unit.

The Remington Semi-Auto 22, model 550 was designed by "Carbine Williams". The Rifle has a floating chamber. The Rifle can use any combination of 22 shorts, longs or long rifles in its tubular magazine.

On the barrel of my piece it is roll stamped "Williams Patent".

This is the most reliable 22 Semi-Auto I have ever shot. Also a very accurate 22. This Remington 550-1 I own has replaced my Ruger 10/22.

If you find a Remington 550 or 550-1 22 Rifle do not hesitate to make the purchase, they are one of the best 22 Rifles ever made.

Most interesting thanks guys; off to see if I can find Williams patent for this... so Colt used Williams patent is what you are saying... I can see where it could be useful for training to reduce the cost of ammo in things like machine guns I actually have some (6 or 7) Steel 30.06 (made so they will not chamber in real 06 chamber by being a bit too long to the shoulder) "cases" that are chambered for .22 rimfire. I have wondered what they were they are; set in to standard .30.06 disintegrating links and I assume would have had a special barrel and breach block as a part of the kit.

Bob Day of San Antonio made a kit for 45 to 22 many years ago and sold thousnads over the years. His can still be found today.

Texas Man

In the pre gas-operated days I think there were some auto shotguns like that. It was called a short recoil system (as opposed to the long recoil system where barrel and all moves back, slams forward, etc etc.) Can't tell ya exactly who made them but thinking it was Rem and or Win. Guess it wasn't terribly successful, don't seem very common (then or now.)

PS...Winchester Model 50, made in the 50's. Couldn't find much in the way of specific info.

JHC

I just had a PM that informs me that the steel 30-06 .22RF "chambers" I mentioned may have been for a Blank fire adapter for the Browning 30 Cal machine gun and that the blanks they used were like the hottest RamSet blanks I do wonder about this as it would seem that since a normal .22 LR round will chamber in these and the bore is clear to the front of the chamber that there would be danger of a live round getting in there where as if they were intended for low cost or indoor range machine gun training with live .22 LR ammo normal save gun discipline would be strongly employed but as of yet I have had no luck finding hard info on the adapter/weapon these 'chamber reducers" were intended for

Archived